“Winter mini vacation, not Vegas but closer”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We were looking for a fun place close to Albuquerque. It was our 2nd stay, with the other about two years ago. We were not disappointed - same beautiful decor and accessible
room. My husband needs a roll-in shower. The bathroom was great but had no seat in the roll-in shower. A call to the front desk had a shower chair delivered quickly. I had a fantastic hot stone massage at the spa. We had a good dinner the first night at the Turquoise Trail bar and Grill. There was a 2 for $20 menu that got us a great nacho appetizer and two prime rib dinners. Nice for the price.. Dinner the next night was better at the Painted Parrot Buffet! We enjoyed the Thursday night BBQ night in addition to the regular international buffet. The casino brought fun for my husband and I actually won $ the first night with the promotional free play money that I got for signing up for a players card.

Room Tip: Handicap accessible rooms are well designed.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2013

Thanks for taking the time to let us know that when you were looking for a "fun place close to Albuquerque", that you chose the Hilton Buffalo Thunder for a return visit. I was pleased to hear that you "were not disappointed- same beautiful decor and accessible room" and that your request for a shower chair was handled promptly by our Front Desk. It appears that your "fantastic hot stone massage at the Spa" and your dinner at the Painted Parrott Buffet where you "enjoyed the Thursday Night BBQ......in addition to the International Buffet", were some of the highlights of your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort the next time you need an easy getaway from Albuquerque.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder

Reviewed 4 January 2013

First off, I wish for once our check-in would go smoothly. Our reservation was made a year in advance and was given a different room than I reserved. While it was an upgraded room, it was still a hassle to move all of our stuff after one night to the correct room the next day. The room was in an entirely different section of the hotel and a very long walk. But, the process seemed to workout smoothly. Another, suggestion is they might want to put up some sort of line area so people know where the check-in line is. Folk's just creating there own line's just slows the process down. Stayed over New Year's weekend and Day. Would be nice for more eateries, the selections are limited in my opinion. But, other than the initial hassle everything else went smoothly, nice facility but the rooms are showing some wear and tear. Housekeeping, should check to ensure folks checkout before cleaning the room. Moved all our luggage out went and ate breakfast only to come back to a cleaned room. But, I hadn't checked out yet. But, other than these issues had a great time, nice area, enjoyed the relaxation and would stay here again sometime in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Legat69

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hilton Buffalo Thunder Resort and for your candid comments on your "Almost Excellent" visit to Santa Fe. I was sorry to hear that your check-in was "a hassle", however pleased that our Front Office staff attempted to minimize the inconvenience by upgrading your room and that the "process worked out smoothly". I also enjoyed hearing that you "had a great time, nice area, enjoyed the relaxation and would stay here again sometime in the future". When you do, I hope that you will contact me in advance and I will make sure that you receive an upgraded room near the elevators.
I truly appreciate your feedback........

Reviewed 3 January 2013

They were offering great rates this Christmas season so we gave them a shot. Overall, it's a very nice property and I recommend staying there. The property is a little far from Santa Fe and I wished the hotel was at least a mile or so from the freeway to enable a more exclusive, private feel. The rooms face the parking lots which took away some aesthetics. Big plus is that it is pet-friendly and our Black Lab was able to come with us! And we loved the fireplace in the room. We had it going every night, all night long.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank JoshuaHouston

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hilton Buffalo Thunder on your recent visit to Santa Fe. Telling TripAdvisor readers that we have "a very nice property and you would recommend staying here" as well as your appreciation of our "pet-friendly" policy and in-room fireplaces.
Please feel free to contact me personally prior to your next visit with us and I'll make sure that you have a beautiful view of our 27-hole golf course, considered one of the finest in New Mexico.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Very good facility, room, clean, we enjoyed our stay, what no so nice is to pay for breakfast, no WI_Fi in rooms, and around 15 uphill freeway drive to downtown. Breakfast items are good quality and you need to buy tickets for $10 people at front desk. Is just goof for casino gambling. We haven't done. We went in the after Christmas week and the room fare was above the brackets price shown in Trussville site.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank JoeGregg
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

Dear Joe,
I was pleased to read that your review of the Hilton Buffalo Thunder stated that we have a "very good facility, clean room" and that "you enjoyed your stay". I'm concerned however that although you felt that "breakfast items are of good quality", that "what is not so nice is to pay for breakfast". I would greatly appreciate you contacting me personally to give me clarification on this comment, and I will be pleased to address this as well as the pricing issue that you mentioned.
Joe, thank you again for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Buffalo Thunder in the near future.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We spent 6 days and nights at Buffalo Thunder and really enjoyed our stay. As Hilton Gold members we had free breakfasts and the spa is free to all Hilton Honors. We used the spa daily and enjoyed the breakfasts. The concierge had all the information we needed and offered good suggestions. The location is the best! Being just a few minutes north of Santa Fe but away from all the traffic is a plus. We were able to go to several nearby pueblos for their seasonal dances and we also went to Bandolier for a side trip and to Taos which is just about an hour north.

The staff was great and we enjoyed two different rooms. Our first was a King balcony that was nice and quiet. After a few days we switched to a king suite with fireplaces, it was on the opposite wing and was also nice. Each wing has it's pluses and the hotel staff was wonderful and very accommodating. Our one criticism of the rooms is that the furniture was too big, it would have been nice to have more open space. As in all Hilton's, the beds are comfortable.

The casino was fine, not being a gambler, however, I did leave with a little more than I started out
The breakfast at Mica was great, the buffet, had an assortment of freshly baked goods, the homemade granola and muffins delicious, lots of fruit. You could also get egg dishes. We didn't try Red Sage, preferred to eat in Santa Fe. We were disappointed with the Painted Parrot buffet and the Torquiose Trail at the casino, but enjoyed a quick sandwich at the Pueblo Deli which was fine.

The Native artwork in the lobby and the hallways is beautiful, with an outstanding assortment of Pueblo (mostly) paintings, sculptures, pottery and textile work, well displayed. Overall, a very comfortable atmosphere.

We would definitely return to this resort!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, not near families with children, book a fireplace suite on the 5th floor o...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pjb63_13

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to the Hilton Buffalo Thunder Resort and I was so pleased to hear that you both "Loved Buffalo Thunder". It appears that our "wonderful hotel staff, the Spa, breakfast service and the guest room quality" were part of the reasons you gave us such a great rating, and I have passed along your praises to our team of professionals.
Our entire staff looks forward to welcoming you back to our spectacular hotel on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

The website photos of Hilton's Buffalo Thunder made the resort look opulent and huge. When I arrived, I was surprised to find that the grand staircase in the lobby was half the size I expected and the indoor pool was quite small and harshly lit with bright floodlights. The photos seemed so much nicer. That's not to say that the place was not beautiful and elegant. I was just expecting more. The decor was very nice and obviously great expense had been lavished on all details. The front desk staff were very helpful and encouraged me to upgrade to a larger junior suite for my party of three. The room was beautifully furnished, but overlooked a vast parking lot. We were on the second floor and felt very isolated. We barely saw any other guests until Saturday night, when revelers were noisily partying in the hallways (for some reason) until 4am. The casino was disappointing--quite small and claustrophobic with low ceilings and the ever-present, pungent smell of cigarette smoke. I liked the location away from the hustle and bustle of Santa Fe and it was only a 15-minute drive into town. There was always free parking (or valet parking if needed). Also, Red Sage was a very nice restaurant and the Sunday dinner buffet was a big bargain. I never checked out the spa, much to my regret. All in all, a pleasant hotel experience. Maybe my expectations were too high.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Dear Joel,
What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and I must admit that I was initially concerned after reading the heading....Buffalo Disappointment. Hearing your impressions on our propety being "beautiful and elegant", your guestroom being "beautifully furnished", the Front Desk staff as "very helpful", and that our two restaurants, Painted Parrot buffet being a "bargain" and Red Sage was "very nice" spoke volumes regarding the guest experience. I was however disappointed to hear that our casino was disappointing in regards to its size, low ceilings and smoke smell. I have passed along these comments to our Casino Manager.
On another positive note, I was pleased to hear that our location "away from the hustle and bustle", was only a short drive into town.
Joel, thank you again for taking the time to write this review along with the separate review that you submitted on our Red Sage Restaurant, regarding your extraordinary dining experience there. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Buffalo Thunder on your next visit to Santa Fe and we'll make sure that you receive a room with a view of the beautiful mountains in this area.

Hal L

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We have been to Buffalo Thunder many times. It used to be my favorite hotel. This trip has been somewhat disappointing. I am sitting in my room at 8 am listening to little kids running up and down the halls screaming. I was woken up several times during the night by noise. I appreciate that the hotel is kid and pet friendly, but I would suggest putting the pets and families with small kids near the lobby and the rest of us with older kids or no kids farther down the halls. It seems to me that would help with the noise.

Also, the food is not as good as it used to be. We have always enjoyed the Turquoise Trail but the prime rib is not that good any more. The burgers and nachos were very good. I went to the deli this morning to get breakfast burritos for my teenagers and they said their eggs are old and spoiled. I went to the Micah where they had eggs. So why no eggs at the deli? Makes no sense.

Last thing -- we used to get free rooms from the casino, but they have cut way back on the comps too. But i care more about the other issues than that.

I will definitely come back but hope things are a littler smoother and less noisy next time.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Paula,
Thank you for taking the time to review your last visit to Buffalo Thunder, and I was disappointed to read that our property was "not as good as in the past". I have taken the liberty of passing on your comments to our Casino Manager regarding your poor experiences in the two casino restaurants, Turquoise Trail and the Pueblo Deli. I would also suggest that you reach out to him prior to your next visit regarding complimentary accommodations that you had received in the past.
We look forward to your next visit and I can assure you that we will address the issues that you have brought to our attention.

Hilton Buffalo Thunder