“Great experience, beautiful property”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 2 May 2013

If your looking for a getaway, this hotel is the place to be with their pool, casino, etc. The rooms are beautiful and the staff is just awesome. Every single detail in the hotel is delightful and the food is pretty good as well. The live music at the casino is cool as you do not really need to leave the hotel to have a good time everything's pretty much there.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Paulina T
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Paulina,
Thank you for the glowing review of your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was really pleased to read that you found "every single detail in the hotel delightful" and that the staff was awesome!
All of our team members are thrilled that you took the time to share your experience with the readers of TripAdvisor. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Hal Leonard

Write a ReviewReviews (2,308)

Reviewed 1 May 2013

We were booked into this hotel through priceline. WARNING #1- The Hotel's policy is this- Unless your given name is on the reservation you may NOT check in! Period, no exceptions. My husband booked the hotel and arrived later in the day. We were celebrating our ten year anniversary so he wanted to allow me extra time to relax and unwind, as we fly separately as a safety precaution, and I arrived first. The front desk would not check me in. I was thankful for my rental car and $ to spend at the spa, but FRUSTRATED that my gift of extra time wasn't enjoyed in a room, NAPPING and getting ready for my husband's arrival (champagne, shower, etc.) Second warning, the hotel has a shuttle from the airport, about 30 minutes away, but you will not be picked up without a reservation. These MUST BE made 7 days, yes, ONE WEEK, prior to your arrival. So if you go knowing these 2 "policies" you will have a nice stay. The staff, on the whole is very friendly and helpful. The spa is nice, but not the best I have seen. They try really, really hard!

Room Tip: Please ask for a room looking out either on to golf course or front of hotel. The room we had overl...
4  Thank Nasyor
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

Dear Nasyor,
Thank you for sharing the very positive review on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder, as well as the suggestions that you have offered. I'm glad to hear that you felt our staff was very friendly and helpful, and that our Spa staff tries "really, really hard".
I'm sorry, but we do have a policy that requires the name of any guest that would like to check into a room, which is something that is consistent with most major hotel companies. Your suggestion of adding additional names during the reservations process is an excellent one, which will allow any person listed, the ability to register earlier than the other guest occupying the room. The Airport Shuttle service that you mentioned is operated by the Buffalo Thunder casino and they do require advance reservations. We always suggest making this reservation a week out, however they can usually accommodate with less notice than this. We are not an airport property, therefore do not have a regular daily shuttle that we are able to offer, which is the case in most Santa Fe hotels.
Thank you again for your wonderful comments and tips for travelers.......

Reviewed 30 April 2013

In all honesty we loved our stay at the Buffalo Thunder. The staff was very accommodating and friendly and made us feel right at home. The indoor pool was a great place to unwind after a day of sight seeing. My eight year old son could have spent the entire vacation there. The buffet was pretty good. We had breakfast most mornings there and dinner two nights out of the five that we spent. Our room was a Queen Junior Suite. I must say it was huge for our three person family. Beds were comfortable and the views were nice of the hill side and golf course. We are Hilton members and I would say it lived up to the Hilton reputation and the comforts that we've come to expect from the brand.

A couple strange things though. The place is enormous and because of this it seemed that the only way to get outside is through the main elevator and out the front door. It was quite a walk from our room that was on the far side of the 3rd floor wing. One day, early on, we decided to try the stairs. BIG MISTAKE. No signs or warnings that say the door will lock behind you. Our family found ourselves stuck in the stairwell as all the doors on every floor were locked. The door at the very bottom of the stairwell says that an alarm will sound if you open it, so we were reluctant to do so. I called the front desk from my cell phone and told them we were trapped in the stairwell. They said security was on its way. We'll it took for ever and my eight year old started to freak out so we just bit the bullet and went out the alarm door. Later that night we were in our room and we kept hearing this pounding going on outside in the hall. It sounded like someone one was locked outside of their room and beating on the door. It took us 10 minutes to realize that it was someone trapped in the stairwell. I went out and opened the door and their was a terrified 10 year old boy, in tears trying to get back in. I reported the entire incident to the concierge the next day and asked him that surely this has to happen quite often. He did not seem to care and I felt was not really going to mention it to anyone. I could see an adult just going out the alarm door like we did, but I could not imagine a younger child knowing what to do, but just being terrified. They should at least put signs on the door that say CAUTION, DOOR LOCKS BEHIND YOU!

The second disappointment was the smoky smell of the casino that wafted through much of the lobby and the shopping, eating area. I know it is just the way of the casino, but it is something that may family is not really into to, so it kind of cheapened it for us.

Lastly, It is a ways outside of Santa Fe. We spent a lot of our time driving back and forth because we like to be in town and catch some of the sights. It takes a good 20 minutes to get to Santa Fe. All in all we had a great time, but most likely would stay at the Hilton in Santa Fe, near the Plaza. However, if you like to gamble, golf, just relax by an indoor pool... it is not a bad choice. ENJOY!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank maggiesfury

Dear maggiesfury,
Thanks for the great review and very constructive comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was so pleased to read that you loved your stay in our beautiful resort and that our team members were accommodating, friendly and that they made you feel right at home.
Your comments on the locking doors in our stairwells are very timely. I have scheduled a meeting with our Director of Security to have all doors in our stairwells left unlocked, with very large signs on the bottom floor warning that this door will lock behind you. We are also looking into the smoke issue from the casino, which has never been a problem until just recently. I'm certain that we will have this corrected very soon as well.
I do appreciate the very positive reviews and rest assured that your suggestions have been heard and will be acted on. Thank you again for taking the time to share them with us.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

We chose the Hilton Buffalo Thunder because it was the only hotel with an indoor pool. We stayed over spring break in a junior suite on the third floor. This place is, quite frankly, like a fortress. You are walking miles to your room, and miles to everywhere in the hotel. The room was very large, quiet, and clean when we arrived. The housekeeping services were NOT good, never replenishing our water bottles, vacuuming the bathroom (hair) or even replenishing our mini bar snacks. As much as the Hilton prides itself on service, this hotel is not a good representatation of my other Hilton experiences. The pool was nice, as was the hot tub, but everyone in my family got chemical burns on their skin from them. There are great shops in the hotel, with reasonable prices and a great selection. Our package had a breakfast buffet, which was wonderful, loaded with fresh fruits (berries!) and lots of the usual faire. We stayed the week, and as it got closer to the weekend I noticed that there were MANY more people arriving, meaning longer lines, fuller pool and hot tub, and the place lost a lot of its charm as it became crammed full of travelers and gamblers. Overall, our experience was average, but certain staff went out of their way to be helpful, while others did their best to just keep to themselves. Next time we will book at the La Fonda in Santa Fe.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear darcywal,
Thank you for sharing your positive as well as constructive comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to hear that your room was "large, quiet and clean", the shops were great and that the breakfast buffet in Painted Parrot was "wonderful".
Regarding your fortress impression, I have to agree that we do have a large facility which does require some walking. Many of our guests do like the fact that our resort is spread out, however sorry that this was an inconvenience to you. I was also quite concerned reading that your housekeeping services were not up to par. I would like to try and identify this problem and would appreciate you contacting me personally to discuss this shortcoming.
Please give me the opportunity of convincing you to return to our property on your next visit to Santa Fe.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The great Southwest, the beauty of the mountains and coolness of the days and the comfort of the Hotel, who could ask for more. We try to make it a twice a month trip and we are never unhappy with the clean rooms, friendly staff, and plenty to do. Great rest, great fun, great golf, great casino and a variety of restaurants. You will not be sorry.... ENJOY LIFE!

Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Wow! What a fantastic review of Hilton Buffalo Thunder as well as the surrounding area. I have to agree that this is truly a beautiful area of our country, made even more special by our beautiful resort. Since you're here so often, I hope that you will let me know when your next visit will be, as I would like to have the opportunity of meeting you personally.
All the Best,

Reviewed 29 April 2013

The Good:

Everything was nice and clean. The staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful. Check in was quick. Nice art and statues throughout the hotel. Never had a problem with parking. The room was a decent size, had a safe, and the bed was comfortable.

For a hotel, the workout room was very nice. Had dumbbells that went up to 50lbs, several machine weights and several pieces of cardio equipment. The indoor pool and hot tub were nice too.

There was a small casino on the ground level that was smoke free.

The Bad:

Just walking atop the stairs above the casino, there was an overwhelming smell of smoke. To sign up for the players club you have to go through the smoke filled casino.

The pillows in the room were extremely flat and unsupportive. After the first night, my wife used her travel pillow instead of the hotels pillows.

The refrigerator in the room was stocked and sensored. I would have much preferred an empty refrigerator so that I could fill it with my own drinks.

The Ugly:

I played video blackjack in the smoke free casino and lost 10 out of 11 hands. I realize that is mathematically possible, but at the same time it had me questioning the validity of the game.

Overall I would stay at this hotel again.

2  Thank Tiger52680

Dear Tiger,
Thank you for sharing the Good, Bad and Ugly comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Obviously, the Good was my favorite, where you pointed out that "everything was nice and clean, comfortable bed, nice workout room, indoor pool ant hot tub"......with the highlight being the front desk staff, that you found friendly, helpful and quick.
The Bad mentioned our pillows, so I wanted you to know that we also offer firmer foam pillows upon request by our Houskeeping Department. We are also happy to provide unstocked refrigerators for personal items, should you have the need.
Regarding the Ugly, I have passed along this comment to our casino General Manager, as this area is not managed by Hilton.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our beautiful resort and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Our recent stay was great except for the fact that the room was advertised as having a refrigerator. Instead the refrigerator was stocked with drinks for purchase with a warning that if anything is moved, the guest will be billed. It had sensors under every item, so you couldn't move anything to add your personal items. The for purchase items were not anything that either of us would ever use.

5  Thank Valene W

Dear Valerie,
Thank you for sharing comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and that your "recent stay was great". I'm truly sorry that you didn't enjoy the stocked mini-bar that we have in all of our rooms, however want you to know that we are always pleased to provide a mini-refrigerator upon request.
Based on your ratings, I will assume that you will be returning to our beautiful resort on your next visit to Santa Fe........please feel free to contact me prior to your visit and I will make sure to provide a refrigerator for your personal items.