“Great”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #22 of 62 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Once again my stay here was great! The rooms are very nice, large, well furnished and wonderful to stay in. The staff as usual was very professional, friendly and helpful. I haven't had a bad experience staying here yet. This is by far and away the best resort in New Mexico. I look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: I haven't had a bad room in any location in the hotel yet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank William B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,358)

Reviewed 20 December 2013

The hotel was ok. Interior decor was replete of art (of course, this is Santa Fe), exterior was full-on adobe style. Room was clean and big enough. We got a suite with a king-size bed, and I honestly don't think that was a king since it was nowhere near as big as our king bed at home. No free breakfast with the room (a big boo since we hate having to drive early in the morning for a hearty breakfast), no bathroom slippers (another big boo since the bathroom floor was pretty cold), and the free water bottles were only two 8-oz bottles. C'mon Hilton, really? Stingy much? Overall not happy with this hotel. Plus it's a 20-minute drive to downtown, so if you want to stay close to the heart of Santa Fe better check other hotels.

Room Tip: If you're in NM for the gambling, then this is a good place to stay. If you're in NM for the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Glenda Y,
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay and Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you rated cleanliness a 5, however was disappointed that you would not recommend our hotel, due to your experience. In regards to the size of our king beds, all king rooms and king suites have standard king mattresses measuring 76"x80". We do offer bed and breakfast packages which include breakfast each day as well as our Homewood Suites hotel here at Buffalo Thunder, that includes complimentary breakfast daily and dinner four days a week, as another option for our guests. The two complimentary 10 oz. bottles of water in all rooms are replentished daily and will be replentished more often when requested.
I am also available to discuss your concerns and have listed my email address and direct phone number, for your convenience.
Thank you again for your comments and I hope that you will reconsider our resort on your next visit to Santa Fe.
All the Best

Hal Leonard
(505) 819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Second trip to this hotel/ casino and we had a really nice and relaxing time, stayed 3 nights. The location is great for us to drive 15 minutes to the plaza area and 40 minutes to Ojo Caliente for a day of soaking.
The hotel is clean and quiet and the staff is friendly, rooms are large. We used the gym and the pool / hot tub this trip which was great.
We don't eat eat the hotel- too many other favorites a few minutes away, so can't comment about the buffet, but the price is right with the casino card and it was packed with people each time we walked by.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wanderlust555
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We visited this casino/hotel two years ago and ate Thanksgiving dinner in the buffet room. We had a great time then but not this time. The buffet wasn't good at all. The food was cold, dry, not as many options (no pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving!) and set up poorly. In fact, the line for turkey was so long we didn't even bother. Ate the Italian option. It's a beautiful hotel and location but that's it for us.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We travel the state quite a bit going to different rodeos and staying at hotels. We have passed Buffalo Thunder on many occasions and it always looks so beautiful. We spent this past weekend there and were not dissapointed in the least. The inside was just as beautiful. I love the fireplaces in the King Suite! The entire place smelled fresh and was so clean. The food was good and most of the staff were very gracious and inviting.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
4  Thank Leanne O
Reviewed 11 December 2013

From arrival to departure a wonderful experience, attended like a king, care for, spoiled, excellent food, wonderful exercise facilities, very entertaining casino, extensive TV, quiet, peace, etc, etc...

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Antonio O
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Traveling in RV and looking forward to a hotel stay ... with casino (bonus!!)!! Check in at 3PM. Front desk instructed where to park the RV. "In front of casino where there is plenty of light and lots of cameras." Done. Into hotel. Very nice. Showers, eat, gamble. I gamble ... my husband (driver of RV) went up to bed. At around 11:30 I'm playing slots and hear page re: RV in lot with Florida plates. Page was garbled and where to report was unclear. Three attempts to find person to report to and I'm at security inquiring about page. Security makes call and then instructs me to go to front door of casino and security would meet me there. I'm believing that perhaps someone hit the RV or perhaps it was broken into. I head to front door of casino and outside into the snow with no coat or hat. Security van finally pulls up at the absolute farthest spot instead of pulling up to door. I trudge to security van. Security officer/emotionless states "must move RV". I state that is where we were told to park it, my husband drives it and is asleep upstairs. Security says "move RV". I ask 'where to?'. Security begins to verbally instruct on where to park. As a previous instruction on 'where to park' was wrong .. I request that he drive me to location where he wants RV parked. Security drives me to lot "D". Dark, farthest corner of property .. at least a 20 minute walk back. I inquire if I wake my husband from warm bed to move RV ... will security please hang tight to give him a ride back to hotel. Security replies "I'm not a taxi". I request ride back to hotel ... not the casino. Guess who is a taxi now!!! Hotel states that they are separate from casino. I explain that I have decided that if I have to go wake my husband and have him get dressed, he will head to RV and we will follow, with our luggage and a full refund will be expected. They make a call and arrange to allow RV to sit in place until 5:30AM and then we have to move it. Hotel explains they have no authority over activities. They do not seem concerned that our hotel stay & our sleep are being interrupted. Security was the recent problem, but the problem began when the hotel reception instructed where to park. So who's in charge? The RV sat from 3 to 11PM shift change ... with no problem. After shift change, there is suddenly a problem?? Expecting a guest to walk at midnight from a dimly lit parking lot in the snow in freezing temperatures is not at all what I expected from Hilton OR Buffalo Thunder Casino. Both are equally responsible for guest safety and customer service. They failed on both counts. We rented two rooms, one a suite. We paid good money for a good nights sleep in a nice hotel. Good money is gone. I guess I'll sleep in the RV :(. I am extremely disappointed. Tiny things to explain cleanliness: cigarette butts all over ground at patio, and also iron was clearly broken, with a piece hanging off .. and it didn't work. These things are minor, the iron was replaced within 30 minutes. Cigarette butts could well have been under snow ...?? I really didn't care ... but if I have to walk from "D" lot, they should have to pick up the cigarette butts!!

Room Tip: Both rooms were very nice. I wish we could have enjoyed them as intended.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tammy C
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Tammy,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. To answer your question, the buck stops right here in my office. You and your husband were guests in my hotel and your comfort, safety and total satisfaction are my responsibility. Although the Security Department for this property reports to Casino Management, our Front Desk staff should have directed you to the correct parking lot, in addition to providing transportation to and from your vehicle. Obviously in your case, we did not follow the proper procedures and you were significantly inconvenienced. I would like to make sure that you are compensated for this, so I will request that you please contact me personally via telephone or email at your earliest convenience.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with me and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely