“A super-duper stay”

Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Belen, United States
“A super-duper stay”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Friendly folks, great amenities, low price. I especially enjoy spending 20 minutes each in the sauna, steam room and hot tub, followed by a cold shower. Does these 69 year-old-bones honor! The artwork throughout the hotel is probably exclusively native American. I am enthralled with two lobby stained glasses of a corn maiden descending - probably influenced by Picasso's "nude on a staircase" but oh what a statement of gentle, sublime demure beauty! When you go, I hope you get to meet the bellhop who calls himself "Duane from Spain." And, in the indoor pool, stop a bit from your laps under one of the streams of water letting it wash your hair whilst the surrounding kiddos are having way too much fun.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank John S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is a nice hotel and would stay again. My disappointment is that there is free wifi in the lobby for anybody, paying guest or not, but in the rooms guest have to pay for internet access. How much sense does this make? The hotel is easy to get to, right off the highway. Only a 10 minute drive to Santa Fe.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The rooms were wonderful - clean, spacious and well furnished. Beds wonderfully comfortable. We had a balcony on a night with a full moon - made the ambiance even more wonderful.

I purchased (or tried to and thought I did) one of their special packages, and when I got there, was told that I had not. Dawn, the night desk staff, made me feel like I didn't know what I'm doing, even though I've spent more than 60 days in hotels in the last 90.
I went to my room to try again, just to check, and got the same result. After speaking with Zadora, the Revenue Director, thanked me for bringing the problem to her attention. There was a problem because she got the same results. She was very gracious and corrected my bill. Samantha, the morning staff at the desk, was very pleasant and helpful.

The only drawback was the Painted Parrot Buffet. Although it was 8 pm and the buffet closes at 9, the staff was removing the food while we were eating. Most of the food was lukewarm or downright cold, and not very tasty at all. That part alone was a disappointment. There was a large selection, it just wasn't very tasty. The staff there, though, was great,

I recommend this hotel for the comfort alone. Having a casino downstairs was nice for a brief evening entertainment.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, room 4114 (terrible with directions - no clue where it was facing) had th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elise B
United States
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Not what I expect from a Hilton, at all. Beautifully appointed rooms and comfy bed, too bad I could not sleep between alarms going off and people yelling and screaming, couldn't use internet even though I had the member rewards number, long wait at the buffet and so-so food. Tried to go to the restaurant and we were not seated because we did not have a reservation, even though there were plenty of empty tables. I am most disappointed in the service. When I did call to let the front desk know about the alarm, the clerk was very rude. When I asked to speak to a manager at checkout, a supervisor spoke to me, but I finally had to insist she let me just tell her all that had happened because she kept interrupting to tell me that I should have told the different managers at different parts of the hotel. She did give me a small amount off the bill, but we spent around $1,000 here in less than 24 hours for a show, meal, gambling and spa. The spa was awesome and redeemed the weekend for me. Customer service at hotel left me cold.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 1visitor4u
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We do not drink or gamble but in spite of that our stay at the buffalo thunder was one of best Santa Fe experiences. We can't afford to stay on the plaza in those fancy hotels but I know we are getting the same service, great rooms, wonder bedding, beautiful artwork and only 15 or minutes from the square in Santa Fe.

Room Tip: Hotel runs specials during off seasons look for them. We usually pay 100 or less per room
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Marlene S
Emeryville, California, United States
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My family and I decided to spend two nights/Christmas at this hotel as part of a 10 day trip around the Southwest. The hotel had a nice entrance, and lobby area. Our room was a Jr. Suite, which was well appointed and spacious.

I would have given the hotel a higher rating, but the customer service was seriously lacking. I am do not require much in terms of service when it comes to hotels, but the person who checked us in didn't welcome us or smile, just issued our keys without saying anything out of, asking for my id and credit card.

The hot water wasn't working in our room both days we stayed in the hotel. According to the hotel desk, the hot water wasn't working in the wing that we were staying in. Having not had a hot shower in two days and following up with their desk over the past two days, I asked if we could move rooms or use another room's facilities, since ours didn't have hot water. Their response was that I could use the showers in their pool area- a community space. I was pretty insulted, since it wasn't my fault that their hot water/boiler was not working. This is how we spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, in a room with no hot water. For a four star hotel, you would think that they would have had better customer service. I will not recommend this hotel- unless you call ahead to make sure they haven't had any boiler problems. They should also give their staff a refresher course in customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has hot water
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Julia D
Albuquerque, United States
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel is very pretty. We stayed here because we were going to a concert in the casino area. We paid a higher price for the accommodations since we would not have to leave the hotel. Disappointed that the hotel was 100% NO Smoking, the WIFI cost $9.95 a day and there was no type of breakfast from the hotel in the morning. I would definitely stay somewhere else that could at least offer me one if not all three of these options. The price of the room was too high considering none of these things were offered to us with the price of the room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends