“Poor Customer Service”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Buffalo Thunder as was not impressed. Waited 20 minutes one morning for the pool to open once they got around to un-locking the gate we found that the pool area was an absolute mess. Trash and food was left from the day/night before, no towels and the restrooms were gross, no toilet paper and trash all over the floor. The casino is small and disgusting. You can smoke but not drink???????? Really since when is breathing second hand smoke healthy. You cannot eat breakfast in the café if you do not have some type of rewards card(seriously)!! The mini frig in our room did not work, no snacks on the tray and you have to pay for wifi........I would never stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Michelle T
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for taking the time to share comments on your recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was disappointed to read that we provided such poor service at our outdoor pool and there is no excuse for the condition you found the pool in that morning. We have pool attendants with the responsibility of cleaning and organizing this area every morning prior to our 8am opening. I have shared your experience with our Executive Housekeeper for follow-up. Regarding the casino, state law does not allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages on the casino floor. The three restaurants that we have open for breakfast on the property do not require any type of Rewards Card, so I am confused on your comment regarding this restriction.
I am truly sorry that we provided such poor service to you during this visit, which I can assure you, is not the case in most instances. I would enjoy speaking with you regarding your stay and have added my office phone number and email address for your convenience.
Thank you again for taking the time to write.
All the Best

(505) 819-2000

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel is a good average hilton with spacious rooms and cleanliness. The TV is disappointing with limited channels (some with no signal) and specifically designed to sell pay per view when you turn it on. Don't think the balconies are private if you get one. Wifi is expensive if you don't qualify for free service. The place seems to be children oriented - they are everywhere. Pool is OK if you like kids - more chance of peace in the indoor pool. Best part of the hotel is the Red Sage restaurant. The food, service and wine were outstanding and I don't say that lightly.
Now for the bad stuff. The casino is ruled by a big brother who bans alcoholic beverages and encourages smoking (there is a small non smoking room without table games.) I am personally offended that someone should think I'm incapable of deciding when and where to drink a beer. I am also personally offended ( although still alive) by second hand smoke. The alleged "comps" are difficult to understand, poorly advertised and not suited to tourists. For these reasons, I would not go again. I would try the Red Sage if I'm nearby.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the tower near the front desk - otherwise it is a long walk to the elevators for th...
1  Thank Clogtowner

Dear Clogtowner,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your June stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you found our rooms spacious and clean and that our Red Sage Restaurant was "outstanding" in terms of food, service and wine. I was however disappointed to hear that our TV selections were less than desirable. We currently offer 49 channels with 17 of them HD, so if there are other channels that you would like to see, please let me know. Regarding your comment on the casino not allowing alcoholic beverage consumption, unfortunately this is a state law and not dictated by the casino operation. I have passed along all of your comments regarding the casino (which is not managed by Hilton), to the casino management team for their follow-up.
Thank you again for your comments and if I may be of further assistance to you, please feel free to contact me via email or telephone which I have listed below.

(505) 819-2000

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was our 3rd visit this year to Buffalo Thunder in Santa Fe. The property is beautifully landscaped with native New Mexican plants and foliage. There are spectacular views from almost every side of the hotel. The rooms are very clean and always smell like Pinon wood when you arrive. The beds/pillows are extremely comfortable. The casino is festive with plenty of slot machines and games to choose from. There are a few restaurants with our favorite being The Turquoise Trail. They have a wide variety of food and it's always good. One of the best kept secrets, not sure why they don't advertise it, is a paved walking trail. It's the old trail around the golf course that you can either take a short walk on or walk for miles. All very scenic. If you want to excercise indoors there is a nice workout facility. They have a great spa as well and 2 pools, one indoor and one outdoor. Best pina colada I've ever had at the pool bar! Last but not least, they are incredibly dog friendly. Everytime we go, we take our dog. The staff greets our dog as well as they do us. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor facing the Sangre De Cristo mountain range have beautiful views. If you ta...
4  Thank Mel M
Reviewed 23 June 2014

A really wonderful experience and look forward to another visit. The staff was top notch. Beautiful New Mexico style hotel, and the location, as I said, is just amazing. The only suggestion for any change would be the snack system set up in the room. I've never seen this done before, and I know there were complaints. The room was stocked with all sorts of snacks, in and out of a small fridge....all on a sensor so that if you just happened to pick anything up, you are charged. Somehow it doesn't give a great feel. Would seem better to simply have "snacks" available through room service...maybe some special tray that could be requested, so hotel can still keep control on what is used, but without the strange impression given by the current system. The mini fridge could not be used because of the "triggers". So just a regular mini fridge and snacks on request would seem a better system. Other than that one thing, the experience was really perfect and I would definitely return and recommend to others!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Glee B
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel is busy with loads of local casino traffic. Casinos are sub-par compared to others. Very helpful Concierge to find other things to do though! Breakfast buffet was short staffed, but otherwise fine for the purpose.

Room Tip: Any room, be prepared to walk a lot.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BizAndDadTravel
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear BizAndDad Travel,
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to hear that you found our Concierge Staff very helpful at finding things to do during your visit. I have taken the liberty of sharing your comments on the casino with our Casino General Manager.
Thank you again for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was a really nice hotel to stay at. The décor was very nice and the staff quite pleasant. The room was really nice, clean and kept up to date. It is pet friendly but you do not smell it. The casino is far enough from the hotel main areas that you don't get that crowded feeling. The rates are quite fair and you should indulge in the spa if you can.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank melody C
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Another wonderful casino stay in New Mexico at this gorgeous Hilton property attached to the Buffalo Thunder casino. This casino hotel, along with the Sandia casino hotel, has done the impossible. They have wonderful no smoking floors and rooms that have absolutely no smell of smoke from the casinos. Delightful! Our room was huge and the bathroom was gigantic with plenty of room for two people to have their own space! The beds were beautiful and comfortable and with lovely décor. Loved the outdoor pool and wandering through the lobby areas and casinos to not only gamble, but to see the artwork. We were there for the Belmont Stakes race, so the bar and racebook area was hopping with excitement! We had a great visit and next time we will definitely stay longer!

Room Tip: If anyone in your party has accessibility or walking issues, be sure to inform the front desk so tha...
2  Thank peanutsNewYork