Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
  • Restaurant
Rodeway Inn(Espanola)
  • Pool
2,400 results
All reviewsred sageiguana cafeparrot buffetcasino floornice casinobeautiful resortindoor poolturquoise trailnative american artnew mexiconon smokinghilton santa felos alamosjunior suitefitness centerminute drivebalcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I try to stay here whenever I'm in Santa Fe, N M. It's a great resort. They used to offer great rates but now, they check your players card. Hey I'm in Chicago so I'm not there to play .
So they are not offering great rates unless you're a gambler. Which I think isn't a smart idea
They really should go back to offering great rates just to bring people there. They will always make money from the restraunts and bars and the gambling there
Why not offer us return customers good rates ??
I may never stay there again sadly, even though I like this resort , and I will be out in that area in 3 weeks
Sincerely
A former customer
Mrgoldfinger2100@aol.com

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank GeorgePol
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This place is awesome, it is a very calming place, beautiful inside and the rooms are well taken care of. A little pricey, but truly worth it. Sometimes get good deals off season. The location is perfect since its about 20 minutes from Santa Fe, but yet quite peaceful at night. Loved it!!!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Helen O
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The facilities are nice. So why would I think twice about staying here again? How about Third World looking security guards on the rooftop of the five story building, looking down onto the property over the roof edge? I have never seen such a thing at a quality hotel. And then security guards constantly flowing through the pool area...sometimes two and three at a time, snickering and sneering, into the pool gate, through the pool area, and out of the pool gate...they peer at the people, and quite frankly they are all sleazy looking and I wouldn't want to run into them in an alley. If you are Mexican or Native American, you are free to bring a giant cooler full of beer, but if you are white, you will pay $7 for a can of Bud at the pool bar and your cooler is banned. Clearly they turn a blind eye for some. No one drinks at the bar because the prices are ridiculous. $10 for a vodka tonic. Virtually everyone brought their own booze to the pool. I finally asked a security guard whether they had some sort of security concern, because of their overt presence...I am talking about standing on the edge of an empty hot tub, and peering down into it for no apparent reason. He said they cruise the pool every thirty minutes, just to make sure, for example, that no "non hotel guests" were there but since they had casino security, they were allowed to come up to the pool too... It sure looked like there were LOTS OF NON HOTEL GUESTS at the pool to me, and nothing was said to anyone, but then again, none of them were white. Second strange thing: Internet. Just plan on paying $9.95 per day, or you will receive zero internet...your data plan will not come in at this hotel. No Sprint, no AT and T - anywhere near this property. The "free wifi in the lobby" truly means, "on the carpeted area". Step off the carpet, there goes your internet. Why? because thousands of casino goers would be sitting around on the free wifi. (remember the non hotel guests?) Here's a good one: a hotel with 500 rooms at 100% occupancy, but their policy is that no one is allowed to use a luggage cart themself because "it's a full service hotel". NO, it's a management problem. Give us a cart if we want one. And some coffee too. Because the property is the size of 3 football fields, getting some real coffee is a real challenge. The only place to do so is at Starbucks...which for some reason, the architect placed at the extreme farthest end of the property from the hotel....After all, they close early so it's not for the casino goers going home...clearly it's the hotel guests that need it, yet it's 1.2 miles from your room. Be sure to be at the pool on a Tuesday around 1:30 pm. That's when they "test the generators". What??? Yep...black smoke billows follow a loud jet engine roar....and once the smoke clears, and it's running, it does so for around 20-30 minutes. I am talking "deafening sound" mid day, at the pool. Clearly management could reschedule that time to be less intrusive to pool guests? Hilton Buffalo Thunder is first an entertainment district for the surrounding indian reservation, second a small city, third a casino, and fourth, a place to sleep. We had a fabulous housekeeper who kept our room spotless. But we have a property that cannot manage what is under it's roof, and the hotel is an afterthought. See what I mean by strange? PS Management: You need not reply that your security is for the safety of the guests. We've all stayed in hotels before, and your security department needs an overhaul.

Room Tip: The architect should be fired, never to design a building again. The hotel rooms which overlook the pool we were told actually overlook a rooftop. That is an understatement. Do not get a pool view. Yes, the design is a total disaster there..in fact, you will be able to inspect virtually every mechanical and electrical system from your lounge chair at the pool...from the lightning rods, to the HVAC systems, to the pigeon poop catchers. Giant unattractive functional elements of the design, right there for your viewing pleasure. Try a "courtyard view". Try a Terrace Suite, much bigger patio than the regular room. Ground floor patios were yucky and lacked privacy. Get floors 2-5.
5  Thank 183carrien
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Carrie,
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was disappointed to read about your pool experience and agree that our Security team does make regular rounds around the property, with our pool being part of their patrol. As far as them being on the roof, I can assure you that they are not using this area and that an engineer or security officer would only be up there for a repair or routine maintenance. I can also assure you that we do not allow beverages or coolers of any kind to be brought into the pool area, which are serviced by pool attendants throughout the day.
I am truly sorry that we failed you in this instance and will be available to you, should you want to contact me personally regarding any part of your stay. I have left my email address and direct phone number below for your convenience.
Thank you again for taking the time to comment.
Sincerely

Hal Leonard
(505) 819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The grounds here are beautiful, but if you're going to pay resort prices, I expect equal service and ambiance. My biggest pet peeve is that we had to pay extra for the internet and it appeared they opened their pool up to all the locals Saturday afternoon! Having drunk people yell and do cannon balls into 4 ft of water isn't really my idea of the resort experience. Check-out is 11am...if you ask for late check-out, it's noon…which is what other places normally have. The food is very expensive for the quality as well. We drove into Santa Fe for our next evenings' dinner to get good food. I'll be paying the extra $75 for Tamaya next time.

Room Tip: It seemed many of the rooms were very far from the elevator. If you have physical limitations, definitely check into this.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AHirshy8

Dear AHirshy8,
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was disappointed to read that we failed to provide you with a high level of service and that the internet pricing, pool area and food prices had such a significant impact on your visit. I would enjoy discussing these issues with you personally and have left my direct phone number and email address below for your convenience.
Thank you again for taking the time to comment and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hal Leonard
(505) 819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The amenities were great, the spa, pool and golf course were a great value for what you received. The spa had a dry sauna, steam room and hot tub with all the amenities (shower, locker room, etc.) A great place to relax and de-distress. I would come back for the spa alone. I used it twice a-day for my stay. The spa staff where friendly and helpful; outstanding service. The breakfast buffet was a good value. I would encourage you to enjoy some of the local restaurants and enjoy the New Mexico cuisine.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts