“Buffalo Thunder”

Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque, United States
“Buffalo Thunder”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My only complaint is that Hilton charges for wifi. Overall we had a vey pleasant stay there. The Casino ventilation was inadequate and had an unpleasant smell. The balcony and fireplace were very nice additions to our room.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 August 2014

After finally getting the room that we had reserved (after 2 moves and a key to an occupied room), we were upgraded to a beautiful suite over looking part of the golf course. Location to Santa Fe was excellent....furnishings were beautiful and the Red Sage restaurant was worth every cent (we ate there 3 nights out of 3)

Room Tip: Ask for close to elevator....the halls are very long
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah J
Colorado
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Came here for our 35th wedding anniversary weekend. Thought we'd pop the extra bucks for a King Terrace Suite (Room 5214)....beautiful room inside, but could never use the terrace as it overlooked the huge HVAC compressors that run 24/7. The noise outside was so loud, you couldn't even hear yourself think. Really wish we would have went for a cheaper room with a view.....heck even looking at the parking lot would have been an improvement.

Resort itself has it's up's & downs. Nice property, clean, & the Red Sage is a great dining option. The casino restaurants are exactly what you would expect....don't get your hopes up too high.

Their "fitness center" was a joke.....old machines, 2 out of 3 treadmills broken, some weight equipment missing adjustment knobs, and the best of all...the water cooler in the corner was totally empty for 2 days. Not sure if the staff even knows this room exists, let alone maintain it.

But as we have learned over the last 35 years.....make the best of the situation and roll/laugh with the punches. We had a good time, but I don't see us ever returning to this property.

Room Tip: ask to see your room first and check the view from the balcony before it's too late!!
2 Thank jwgncolo
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear jwgncolo,
I truly appreciate you candid review of your recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you selected our resort to celebrate your 35th Anniversary and that you felt we had a nice, clean property with our Red Sage restaurant, a great dining option.
I was disappointed that the large HVAC unit generated so much noise, however wanted you to know that we are currently moving this unit to another location further from the building. This will eliminate the noise concerns and also provide significantly improved views of the mountains and our outdoor swimming pool. I did an immediate inspection of our fitness facility and did observe the poor condition of our equipment. There is no excuse for our failure in this area and I currently have a Precor repairman on site to correct the problems with these machines. I'm just sorry that you had to experience these shortcomings before we had an opportunity to fix them.
I would like to invite you back to our resort on your next visit to Santa Fe and can assure you that all of the issues you have brought to our attention will be eliminated. I have added my contact information below for your reference.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your experience.
Sincerely

(505) 281-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com
Virginia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Pros: room was nice, clean, and quiet. Staff was generally helpful and friendly. Artwork on property very nice. Cons: no free wifi (virtually everywhere I stay in the world nowadays has free wifi); food very mediocre if not downright poor (buffet), something healthy would be nice. Golf course very good. In sum: won't return to stay, but may play golf course again. Golf fees very reasonable, reort/room fees outrageous. Would rather stay within walking distance of Canyon Road for same or less per night.

2 Thank CalGalStavanger
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear CalGalStavanger,
Thanks for taking the time to review your most recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to read that you found our guestrooms "nice, clean and quiet.....staff helpful and friendly......and our Golf course very good. I was sorry to hear that the food in our Painted Parrot buffet was only mediocre and that we charge $9.95/day for wireless internet. We do offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the lobby areas and Business Center for your convenience.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again and would ask that you contact me personally prior to your visit. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments.

(505) 819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com
Tucumcari, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Recently stayed 5 nights for a business conference. Buffalo Thunder is a beautiful property, but encountered a few issues. Housekeeping left the iron and ironing board out for three days. Also, housekeeping barged in while I was changing clothes, even after several attempts to stop her from entering the room!?!? I ended up having to yell at her to get out! Overall very clean, but noticed water bottles on the bottom of the pool. Andres at the front desk was a bright spot for this hotel! My wife and I are bariatric patients and have special dietary needs. There are no refrigerators in-room, but had supplements/shakes, etc. that required refrigeration. We explained our situation to Andres and he immediately called to have a refrigerator put in our room. We dealt with him several and each time he was friendly, understanding and extremely helpful! Wish the hotel would provide free wifi....especially for those that are there for business! Overall a good experience, but only thanks to Andres!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bryan,
Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to read that Andres from the Front Desk made such a big impression on you. He is truly a fine team member and I will make sure to share your comments with Andres on the personalized service that he provided you and your wife. I was disappointed that our Housekeeping Department failed to return the iron and board to your closet and that the housekeeper failed to honor your request not to enter your room. I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper for his follow-up.
Thank you again for your positive comments and we look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Santa Fe.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Pros: humongous rooms! Beautiful decor. Friendly staff. Spectacular views of the mountains. Good location along highway.

Cons: indoor pool is small. Praying is limited adjacent to hotel, had to circle several times before finding a space.

I took my two boys here as a stop on our vacation and they loved this place! The room was so spacious and beautiful. They thoroughly enjoyed the pools but if you are an adult seeking relaxation in the hit tub, forget about it, so many kids. I would definitely go back and actually plan on it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank missjazzsinger
Fossil, Oregon
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Lobby and rooms very nice. Drawback is getting a balcony room above the heating and cooling equipment. Could not go outside and sit and enjoy the view. Buffet soso, casino small but clean room service not worth the price, shops reasonable and starbucks awesome.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in wing 2 overlooking tennis courts or you will be oner Hvac.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends