“The Best Hotel I have ever stayed at. AMAZING”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #21 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel 3 times last year. It was beautiful. They were very good to accomodate us. I can honestly say we loved everything about it. The rooms are elegant and very much southwestern decor, they are extremely clean and the bathrooms are great. I am very picky about where we stay and this is one of the only places I will stay at since it is so nice. The beds were comfortable and the pillows were very good. I liked the pillows so much I had to undo the pillow cases to find out who made them and then I ordered some online. They had nice places to eat in there which were very good. You can have a drink and sit at a table out close to the pool from one of the restaurants on their patio under the trellis. It was great. A couple of nice shops.

The only negative is, the casino machines are really tight, but it was that way at all of them. We will definitely stay there again. Loved it.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank CountryGirl050
mkricherson, Marketing Coordinator at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2010

Good afternoon,

I would like to thank you for your review and let you know that we really appreciate hearing how wonderful your stay with us was. I would like to ask you if we can use this review as testimony on our new website? I can be reached at 505-819-2011.

Marylyn Richerson

Write a ReviewReviews (2,346)

Reviewed 24 June 2010

Business and pleasure all at one resort. Fine dining, comfortable rooms, quiet and a great view of the great southwest.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank rayaaa
Reviewed 23 June 2010

The Hilton Santa Fe Golf Resort & Spa at Buffalo Thunder is the best leisure resort for your dollar in central New Mexico. It is a wonderful weekend get-a-way. The associates are extremely friendly, the golf is out of this world, the spa and swimming pools have proven to be a great place to meet wonderful people. The casino is the best in New Mexico. It is extremely clean! (not to mention loose slots)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank phines0656
Reviewed 23 June 2010

We stayed at Hilton Buffalo Thunder for 2 nights and were disappointed with the experience. The decor is very commercialized---not an authentic Southwestern feel---more like they exploited the Native Americans all over again. They forgot to make up our room so when we returned that evening and asked for housekeeping they sent up the worst two staff they had who did a sloppy job. When we complained the girl at the front desk laughed! The light on our balcony burned all night. When complained the operator said that people complain about that all the time and there is nothing they can do. This was not a place I would ever stay again!

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank SeekPeace
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We had a wonderful stay as a weekend getaway. The property was very nice. We took a great evening walk on the golf course trail. The food at the hotels was wonderful. Our room was beautiful (it was worth the extra few dollars for the fireplace and balcony. The pools were very nice (including the indoor pool and hot tub). The fitness center had great equipment that was in good working order. The only challenge that we had was getting in touch with the front desk and concierge. In our two night stay there were two different occasions when we spent about 20-30 minutes trying to get in touch with someone (once in the evening when we arrived, and once in the morning). Otherwise, the people that we did talk to and deal with were very polite and accommodating (even gave me free wifi to look at the hotels restaurant menus from my room).

9  Thank brandonppl
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Unfortunately, the two year old hotel looks like it is much older. The sleeping rooms are closer to Motel "8" than a quality resort. Further, maid supervision is absent. The rooms need to be vacuumed each day....they are not. The reception area carpet hasn't been cleaned since the hotel opened...which should have been a clue on what to expect in the rooms. The staff really tries to make the visit a good experience, but it appears the hotel owners are neglecting the property.

1  Thank DaveR56
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Our recent trip to Buffalo Thunder was our 8th. We absolutely LOVE this hotel. We found it 18 months ago, when it had just opened and it immediately became our favorite destination. When we first walked in, our first impression was "WOW" The lobby is incredibly beautiful with Native American art everywhere. The staff is super friendly. The rooms are large with large balconies, Native American art on the walls and furniture, top of the line linens, spacious bathroom, just your perfect combination of beautiful, comfortable and elegant. Past the lobby you have your Starbucks, the Red Sage restaurant (gourmet) and New Mexico's best buffet and several high end shops (beautiful, unique clothes and jewelry with prices to match) as well as a gift shop with normal prices. Downstairs is the casino, which is always great fun, and the Turqoise Trail restaurant, which is your normal restaurant price level, but the food is New Mexican/American with New Mexican twist, and many dishes are so innovative, it borders on gourmet but at half the price. Love this little restaurant/bar. There is also a deli, not my thing when I can eat much better at TT for just a little more.
Last week (June 3) when we went, it was the second time in two weeks, but this time it was our 10 year anniversary. Aaron at the front desk remembered us, as they often do, and made us feel like old best friends. He upgraded us to a room with a fireplace, and was just so nice. The room was on the executive floor and just gorgeous. Later I told James at the front desk that it had always been my dream to just privately renew our vows, just my husband and I, no minister, no guests. Well, can you believe it, James checked with his manager and organized for security to open up their little church just for us, so I could surprise my husband! With just the guard as our witness, we knelt down and had our special moment. For that alone, I am eternally grateful to Buffalo Thunder Resort and James. My husband will never forget that memory and was so touched... That night we went to Red Sage, where Christopher, the chef personally greeted us (he had already introduced himself, when we were perusing the menu earlier. In passing we had mentioned that we had never eaten at the Red Sage before, but that we were going to that night, because of our anniversary). Chris remembered our annivesary, which meant a lot, and sent us a soup as his present. Our waiter was very professional and kind, and all the staff made us feel as special as if this was our wedding all over again. Plus, the filet mignon was the best piece of meat I have ever eaten. My husband had fajitas, which I don't normally like, but these converted me. The food and wine was over the top!
The next day was spent at the pool and spa. We love the spa, because it is the closest thing we have come to the quality of Las Vegas' top spas in terms of amenities (eucalyptus steam room, sauna, hot tub, lounges). We used to go to MGM Grand's and Mandaylay Bay's spas in Vegas, and this is very similar. MB has pool chairs in their spa and a cold plunge, not so here. But still, it is better than 90% of the spas in Vegas, baby, believe us, we've been to every spa there. As for the pool, it's very nice with a fenced in baby/kids spray area off to the side. Our three year old loves that, as well as the pool and hot tub, whey they have both indoors and outdoors.
So yeah, we love this place! And we've used Tripadvisor so much in the past, I felt it was our turn to reveal our hidden gem. I don't think anyone could go wrong with this hotel, it's beautiful, romantic, fun, good food and a very good value. I've taken all my friends and family there and everyone fell in love with it. Hope this is helpful.

6  Thank BirgitteandGeorge
mkricherson, Marketing Coordinator at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2010

Good afternoon,

My name is Marylyn Richerson and I work for the marketing department of the Hilton. I was reading your review and I was blown away by what you wrote. What a memory James and Aaron helped create for you and your husband! I wanted to let you know that they are going to be recognized for the excellent customer service they provided and I also wanted to ask if we can use your review as testimonial? I would like to speak with you over the phone as well so if you can call me at 505-819-2011.

Thank you again and I look forward to speaking with you,

Marylyn Richerson