“Worth it for the food alone!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I went on a Sunday, which I believe is the day they get their food truck shipment from WHOLE FOODS. TONS of free food (5 coolers full!) At first I thought the chore thing was annoying but then I realized they were a non profit and I didn't mind the chores - I got the bathroom (waited until the last minute to pick a card) and it only took me 5 minutes.

There was a great energy in the kitchen with everyone chatting and being social and we had some of the best hot chocolate fondue ever! It wasn't busy so the owners let us take home as much food as we wanted (loads of yogurt and fine cheeses). They were very nice.

Rooms are a little damp and the place is dated but I enjoyed my stay. Old-school hostel. Cash ONLY!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 December 2012

My sister and I asked for 2 spots in a bunkroom, and were weirdly/rudely told that I could not stay there because I was a ‘local’. I am not a local, I had been volunteering at a farm two hours drive away near Cuba, NM, for the past 2 months. I’m from Chicago and have a Oregon licensed car, and it was my first day in Santa Fe, I wanted to see it for 2 nights before I went to volunteer on a farm in Texas. I thought the guy behind the desk was joking, but he kept at it and had someone back up that information, it was super weird. It wouldn't have been as bad if they had told us this when we had visited the place earlier in the afternoon.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Calder B
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I've been staying at this hostel for over 2 years (maybe 30 trips through Santa Fe) and its always been like a home away from home. Nice helpful staff, plenty of yummy free food including artisan breads and cheeses, clean rooms, linen and bath. No the furniture doesn't match and yes you have to make your own bed. Nice courtyard, great kitchen, right on the main drag of Santa fe central to verything and on public transport lines. If a resort hotel IS your destination this aint the place, but if Santa Fe events and sights are your destination and you're looking for a clean safe place with a good bed and DIY meals for a very reasonable price (and interesting other sojourners), stay at the hostel.

Room Tip: upstairs privates are a bit more quiet
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2012

The hostel seemed clean enough, the kitchen was fine, the occasional free food was nice, and the rates were OK, but this is just one of those hostels that gave me a bad vibe - the kind of place I didn't look forward to returning to at night. The staff was kind of cliquish, and I rarely ran into guests, so it always felt like I was intruding on their private hangout that just happened to have some guest rooms. The shower in the room I stayed in was really horrible, too - it had a poor showerhead and the water was very cold. This isn't a hostel to avoid, but it's also not one to get excited over.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Albert S
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The Santa Fe International Hostel is a Platonic ideal of a certain form of perfection. It is, IMHO Hippy Heaven. The room I stayed in was simple and charming. The bathroom was both Spartan (but the Spartans were cool) and down an exterior hallway, but hey, that's okay. The kitchen is a dream; the courtyard a delight; the owners went out of their way to ensure a pleasant stay; and the staff, comprised of volunteers, are (as a rule) are intrepid, experienced travelers themselves.

Hostels begin in Europe, offering inexpensive, safe, youth-orientated lodging with the hope that travel broadens individual perspectives and benefits societies. Keep that in mind, and much becomes clear.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank London_Rothko
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Good things: well equipped kitchen, and helpful staff behind the counter
Bad things: had a bad vibe, one of the showers didnt work in the shared bathroom, the room was run down and saggy bed, and I was itchy every time I was in my room!
Planned on staying four nights but only stayed one.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Sarah11eleven
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This place gives hostels a bad name. Rude staff, over priced for what you get. Not clean. Need I go on? My family is orgionally from Santa Fe, not there anymore obviously. This place represents the worst of what this area has become. Being a rude hipster is not what Santa Fe is about.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo