“aehh”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Mitzpe Ramon
“aehh”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Price is just ok for what you get, rooms are not really clean as the guest's clean them themselves and no hostel staff goes over them, from what we understand and saw.
It is an old type hostel (and everything there is old and could use a good face lift). It does not go close to the hostel's standard of today... as far as services, staff, cleanliness nor Character. The WiFi cost's extra but didn't really work.... (They were fair enough to give us our money back...)
Your experience depends a lot on the guest's who stay there and not at all on what the hostel brings to the table in our opinion...
And we did not appreciate the fact that we were not allowed to see the rooms before making our decision (and they do not refund your money if you see the room and decide not to stay - which is always a bad sign). We did take the chance and take the room, and were a bit sorry we did not just stay at a KOA, with our tent... Would have been cleaner and cheaper.

Room Tip: We took the private room with the private bathroom. it was ok if you don't need it to be clean...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheGreenBMR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed for a week in a private room recently. Rather than make assumptions about how the hostel operates I reviewed their web page and asked questions about how things are done around there so I knew what to expect before arriving.
Staff members do their best to make the place welcoming for travelers and most of them are travelers themselves. If you want to start a conversation, pull out a map or ask for directions.
The free organic food donated from the local Whole Foods should be seen as an opportunity to save some money and you could feed an army from their kitchen.
The disheveled appearance of the place reflects the character of the owner, Preston, who is a one of a kind guy who's managed to keep the hostel in business for decades.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should not choose a room on the street side.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Bob B
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I went on a Sunday, which I believe is the day they get their food truck shipment from WHOLE FOODS. TONS of free food (5 coolers full!) At first I thought the chore thing was annoying but then I realized they were a non profit and I didn't mind the chores - I got the bathroom (waited until the last minute to pick a card) and it only took me 5 minutes.

There was a great energy in the kitchen with everyone chatting and being social and we had some of the best hot chocolate fondue ever! It wasn't busy so the owners let us take home as much food as we wanted (loads of yogurt and fine cheeses). They were very nice.

Rooms are a little damp and the place is dated but I enjoyed my stay. Old-school hostel. Cash ONLY!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Cuba, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My sister and I asked for 2 spots in a bunkroom, and were weirdly/rudely told that I could not stay there because I was a ‘local’. I am not a local, I had been volunteering at a farm two hours drive away near Cuba, NM, for the past 2 months. I’m from Chicago and have a Oregon licensed car, and it was my first day in Santa Fe, I wanted to see it for 2 nights before I went to volunteer on a farm in Texas. I thought the guy behind the desk was joking, but he kept at it and had someone back up that information, it was super weird. It wouldn't have been as bad if they had told us this when we had visited the place earlier in the afternoon.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Calder B

Travellers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

Ledoux NM
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I've been staying at this hostel for over 2 years (maybe 30 trips through Santa Fe) and its always been like a home away from home. Nice helpful staff, plenty of yummy free food including artisan breads and cheeses, clean rooms, linen and bath. No the furniture doesn't match and yes you have to make your own bed. Nice courtyard, great kitchen, right on the main drag of Santa fe central to verything and on public transport lines. If a resort hotel IS your destination this aint the place, but if Santa Fe events and sights are your destination and you're looking for a clean safe place with a good bed and DIY meals for a very reasonable price (and interesting other sojourners), stay at the hostel.

Room Tip: upstairs privates are a bit more quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 3 September 2012

The hostel seemed clean enough, the kitchen was fine, the occasional free food was nice, and the rates were OK, but this is just one of those hostels that gave me a bad vibe - the kind of place I didn't look forward to returning to at night. The staff was kind of cliquish, and I rarely ran into guests, so it always felt like I was intruding on their private hangout that just happened to have some guest rooms. The shower in the room I stayed in was really horrible, too - it had a poor showerhead and the water was very cold. This isn't a hostel to avoid, but it's also not one to get excited over.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Albert S
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The Santa Fe International Hostel is a Platonic ideal of a certain form of perfection. It is, IMHO Hippy Heaven. The room I stayed in was simple and charming. The bathroom was both Spartan (but the Spartans were cool) and down an exterior hallway, but hey, that's okay. The kitchen is a dream; the courtyard a delight; the owners went out of their way to ensure a pleasant stay; and the staff, comprised of volunteers, are (as a rule) are intrepid, experienced travelers themselves.

Hostels begin in Europe, offering inexpensive, safe, youth-orientated lodging with the hope that travel broadens individual perspectives and benefits societies. Keep that in mind, and much becomes clear.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo