“ron e”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Louisville, Kentucky
“ron e”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed at this hostel for a week at the end of May/ beginning of June 2013. I found the hostel to be very pleasant and I had a very good time when I was there. I stayed in the men's dorm and it was very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The kitchen is huge and well stocked. It is very easy to visit any part of Santa Fe from where the hostel is located. I did not find the chores to be unreasonable or particularly time consuming. At $18 a night, I thought that the hostel was a great deal. I will certainly spend more time there if get the chance and I would recommend this hostel to friends or family.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We had been traveling the country and staying at hostels in every major city. This one was unlike any I had visited before. The rooms and showers are pretty filthy. The place is falling apart in general. The free food is nice, just be wary of expiration dates. Overall, this hostel was a cheap stay. Not the same atmosphere as others, very cold and off putting. Next time, I would splurge on the Budget Inn down the road.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank ciaranicolem

Travellers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

Mitzpe Ramon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Price is just ok for what you get, rooms are not really clean as the guest's clean them themselves and no hostel staff goes over them, from what we understand and saw.
It is an old type hostel (and everything there is old and could use a good face lift). It does not go close to the hostel's standard of today... as far as services, staff, cleanliness nor Character. The WiFi cost's extra but didn't really work.... (They were fair enough to give us our money back...)
Your experience depends a lot on the guest's who stay there and not at all on what the hostel brings to the table in our opinion...
And we did not appreciate the fact that we were not allowed to see the rooms before making our decision (and they do not refund your money if you see the room and decide not to stay - which is always a bad sign). We did take the chance and take the room, and were a bit sorry we did not just stay at a KOA, with our tent... Would have been cleaner and cheaper.

Room Tip: We took the private room with the private bathroom. it was ok if you don't need it to be clean...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheGreenBMR
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed for a week in a private room recently. Rather than make assumptions about how the hostel operates I reviewed their web page and asked questions about how things are done around there so I knew what to expect before arriving.
Staff members do their best to make the place welcoming for travelers and most of them are travelers themselves. If you want to start a conversation, pull out a map or ask for directions.
The free organic food donated from the local Whole Foods should be seen as an opportunity to save some money and you could feed an army from their kitchen.
The disheveled appearance of the place reflects the character of the owner, Preston, who is a one of a kind guy who's managed to keep the hostel in business for decades.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should not choose a room on the street side.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Bob B
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I went on a Sunday, which I believe is the day they get their food truck shipment from WHOLE FOODS. TONS of free food (5 coolers full!) At first I thought the chore thing was annoying but then I realized they were a non profit and I didn't mind the chores - I got the bathroom (waited until the last minute to pick a card) and it only took me 5 minutes.

There was a great energy in the kitchen with everyone chatting and being social and we had some of the best hot chocolate fondue ever! It wasn't busy so the owners let us take home as much food as we wanted (loads of yogurt and fine cheeses). They were very nice.

Rooms are a little damp and the place is dated but I enjoyed my stay. Old-school hostel. Cash ONLY!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Cuba, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

My sister and I asked for 2 spots in a bunkroom, and were weirdly/rudely told that I could not stay there because I was a ‘local’. I am not a local, I had been volunteering at a farm two hours drive away near Cuba, NM, for the past 2 months. I’m from Chicago and have a Oregon licensed car, and it was my first day in Santa Fe, I wanted to see it for 2 nights before I went to volunteer on a farm in Texas. I thought the guy behind the desk was joking, but he kept at it and had someone back up that information, it was super weird. It wouldn't have been as bad if they had told us this when we had visited the place earlier in the afternoon.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Calder B
Ledoux NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

I've been staying at this hostel for over 2 years (maybe 30 trips through Santa Fe) and its always been like a home away from home. Nice helpful staff, plenty of yummy free food including artisan breads and cheeses, clean rooms, linen and bath. No the furniture doesn't match and yes you have to make your own bed. Nice courtyard, great kitchen, right on the main drag of Santa fe central to verything and on public transport lines. If a resort hotel IS your destination this aint the place, but if Santa Fe events and sights are your destination and you're looking for a clean safe place with a good bed and DIY meals for a very reasonable price (and interesting other sojourners), stay at the hostel.

Room Tip: upstairs privates are a bit more quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo