“what a great find!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Ledoux NM
“what a great find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

I am an older woman who has stayed at this hostel 5 times. I intend to do so many more. Rooms are clean and simple; some have a half bath. The staff is friendly, helpful and professional. There is abundant free food in the large kitchen including fresh berries, gourmet cheeses, artisan breads. There's a library and a social/living room. Two fine computers are available for a couple bucks. The location is on the main drag, accessible to bus, restaurants etc. No safety worries. People of all ages from many countries are the guests. The cheapest motel in this over-priced tourist town is $15 more; its rooms are about the same and there's no food and the owner is surly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

I stayed here for about a week in late May 2010. I stayed in two different private rooms, both were clean and simple. The employees were friendly and polite, very understanding when I checked out and then had to come back due to my travel plans getting screwed up. Lots of free food in the kitchen. Plenty of other hostlers to talk to when I wanted or I could hang out in my room for privacy. When I left, they gave me recommendations/addresses/phone numbers for other hostels along the route I would be travelling. A Santa Fe bus stop is located right outside and makes getting around the city very simple.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

My first overnight at the hostel was great; second time around the staffperson was rude and radiating passive aggressive vibes. The good news is that the kitchen is huge and the fridges stuffed with dumpstered delicacies (goat cheese quesadilla with coconut water for breakfast- thanks to freeganisn). The chore system and crypto-communal atmosphere were pleasant in a dysfunctional family kind of way. Some nice guests and i got a good nights sleep. Overall if you are used to budget travel and saving $20 is worth crashing in the display room of the Goodwill Store, recommended. Just cross your fingers and hope the person behind the desk doesn't handle you like expired food.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank wiltonhall66
Baden-Baden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

First of all the Pros: Check-in lady was very friendly and professional. The kitchen is big and if you like to cook this is a plus.
The cons:
You have to clean up your room and clean up one of the public areas (bathroom, shower etc). The idea of having people clean up their room is good but it should be reflected in the price.
The beds and rooms are very minimalistic with very hard beds (basically you sleep on wood).We sorted this out by getting the upper beds and added them on ours.
There is a 20$ Key Deposit for the Double Rooms and if you need to check out at early hours the only way to get it back is wait until staff is there. (since this place is run cash-only)
The rooms need to be renovated and I would suggest professional cleaning should be a standard as well.
I don't know if the place ever gets properly cleaned or not.

Value for money is very low so I would suggest not to stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Santa Fe hotels

Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

I was traveling around for a month. I had been to a *lot* of hostels and various living arrangements. This was, by far and away, the worst.

I arrived in SF, knowing in advance I would stay there. I drove down a road, and in the middle of a bunch of no-tel motels, sat the dingy hostel with car parts strewn across the parking lot. Okay, I thought, outside's a little bad, the owner likely works on cars as a hobby.

The reception room/living space was decent enough looking. I chose a solo room, since it was $7 more, and didn't really come with "chores," just make sure your room is clean. Weird, but fine. They had a policy of not showing the room prior, which weirded me out. Got to the room, looked bare, four bunk beds, fine enough for the night. I left and went out on the town.

They had a free food policy (discarded remnants from previous tenants), nothing looked like anything I would want to consume or contribute to.

Came back, and unfolded the sheets on my bunk of choice. In faded black letters on a white sheet, "St. Joseph's hospital" (or some hospital..) - yes, they were old hospital sheets!

I decided to sleep in my clothes. This was around 1 a.m.

4:30 a.m., I awoke to find no less than three roaches in bed with me! Another roach was on the floor, dead. I didn't sleep anymore, just sat up on the internet. I went to the bathroom at some point - there were 2 dead roaches in the common sink area, others scattered as I approached.

At 7 a.m., I gathered my things out of the room, and checked out without bothering to clean, particularly the dead roach. The woman went to go "check the room" before giving me my $10 deposit back. I prepared for a fight. None was given, she shamefacedly handed me the $10, and I walked out of that place for good.

I recommend everyone avoid the place like the plague. The place had no good hostel atmosphere, roaches everywhere, weird chores, and was by far and away the worst place I stayed at on my trip - this includes a place that had a mosquito infestation inside, and I wound up with > 10 bites in one night.

Do not go here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank etothepi
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2009

Loved it. Great way to meet people! Amazingly priced! FREEEEEEE Food! Beautiful experience.

Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

It was $ 35.00 for two of us, and $10.00 each extra for a deposit which we did receive back at check out time after the Manager assessed our room and verified we did our chore for the day. The room was not dirty, but very plain which I expected. We used our own sheets, pillows and towels, but no sleeping bags are allowed. They do give you sheets and towels on the way to your room if you choose to use them. We did have chores to do, but wasn't too bad. You do get a choice of the chore that you do. Wake up early and take a shower, there are only two common showers! The kitchen was nice, and the food is free. Overall, it wasn't too bad, but there were other motels on the same street that were not much more expensive, and if available, I would choose to stay there first. The windows didn't lock, and I didn't totally feel safe here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends