“Quaint, quiet retreat at the picturesque St. Francis.”
Review of Hotel St. Francis

Hotel St. Francis
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My wife and I really enjoyed our three day, two night stay at this historic, charming hotel. As others have noted, the lobby is exquisite... Beautifully done and comfortable. We elected for a classic queen room, for the government rate of 83 per night, the price was unbeatable in the area which is in the heart of the old historic district and easily within walking distance to museums, restaurants and shopping. The front desk was professional and acommodating during checkin and throughout our stay. The rooms are small, cozy, and very well appointed. I estimate that the sleeping area was about 12' x 12', with an alcove for the sink area and a separate small bathroom. I envision a monk may have lived in such quarters, which I would characterize as simple, austere, spartan. The recent upgrades were a nice touch. My wife and I arrived here with a change of clothes and some toiletries, which fit in the room fine. If you plan on bringing your entire wardrobe and half your house, you may want to look elsewhere, this place suits minimalists best. My only real gripe.about the room would have to be the shower, which I found to ne somewhat small. At 5'9", 150lbs I am not a large individual, but I found it challenging to.shower without hitting the shower curtains on each side. A larger person, 6' 200lbs might feel downright claustrophobic. I occasionally had to hear hallway chatter from my fellow guests but I ran the fan at night and the white noise sufficiently muffled voices and I got a good nights sleep on a comfy bed with supremely clean linens and 6 well stuffed pillows. There was free WiFi in the room and a small flatscreen tv hidden behind what appeared to be an antique cabinet. All around awesome experience at this hotel. Oh, my wife thought the elevator smelled like fish, but I thought the odor was closer to leather. Still, inexplicable smell in the elevator.

• Stayed: December 2011
7  Thank bluepondfrog
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 22 December 2011

This is an older hotel with a European feel: luxurious linens, very comfortable bed, small rooms, tasteful furnishings. The lobby is spacious and tranquil. When we were there, a huge woodburning fireplace and dozens of candles added to the ambiance. The location couldn't be better; it is within easy walking distance of the Plaza, the Palace of Governors, the Basilica of St Francis, numerous museums,the Loretto Chapel and the very chic shops of Santa Fe. Of course there are many wonderful restaurants in Santa Fe, but I don't think you can beat the restaurant in the hotel, The Tabla de Los Santos. The food is wonderful! Alejandro, our waiter, provides excellent and personal service. During our stay we had dinner as well as breakfast there. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Suggest southside, but not street level. Pet fee is $50 a night . . . we left the cat at home!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank patraton
Reviewed 15 December 2011

The location is unbeatable, right in town. The lobby is gorgeous, decorated simply with candles and relidious icons. I loved the spartan convent decor which is in keeping with hotel's history. Crisp white bed linen, comfy beds, white walls, dark metal hinges, and wooden furniture. The room sizes are a little smaller than normal, but this didn't bother me. Parking costs extra.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JodieBrownlee
Reviewed 12 December 2011

The food is too die for at the St. Francis! Have the naked chile - immediately!! The chile they use is incredible, no one else has it. Try the eggs in the morning - incredible!! This hotel is very very special (eat, pray, love - I truly mean it). Candles everywhere - it's like being in the lobby of a castle right in the heart of Santa Fe. Check out the hotel photos and you'll see what I mean. They have a great restaurant with a fireplace - just what everyone wants. They have the Secreto Bar - which is fabulous. Big fireplace to warm you in the lobby. Rooms are very easy to get to by elevator or just take the grand staircase. Their beds are like a heavenly cloud. Insider tip: Your room will be bigger if you ask for a double! All the pluses are there: flat screen tv, rain shower head, casement windows and a beautiful bowl sink. It's just classy and simple. From the hotel you are just steps to the Loretto chapel and of course the plaza and all the shops are just right there. Park out front ... so easy. Try this hotel. It's my second stay and I'll be back again for more. Can't wait. Hasta Luego!

Room Tip: What the St. Francis insiders know: if you want a bigger room then just ask for a double bed. Simpl...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank MG L
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This is one of those hotels you think you know about...but you don't! This is no typical luxury, boutique or independent hotel, this is truly an experience. If you're in the area and looking around this hotel or Chimayo are the two I recommend! What makes me so knowledgeable? I travel over 100 days of the year and have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world -- but this one has a truly unique feel nestled just a block from just about everything by the plaza.

From the soft white walls, small check-in desk, cozy couches in a truly interactive lobby, there's nothing better than siting by the enormous fire with some hot chocolate with friends...and maybe a bottle of wine! Of course I stayed there recently and had to brag about it. If hotels were built like this in every city, Hilton, Marriott and Starwood may just lose this Gold/Platinum guest forever!

Do me a favor and just stay at this hotel for one night, I promise you'll not want to leave.

SPECIAL SECRET...ask for a Wake Up Call, it'll be an experience you'll never forget!

Room Tip: This is a small hotel with about 80 rooms or so. Many of the rooms vary in size, make sure you book...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
9  Thank Gregorio P
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Eighteen consecutive years at the St. Francis, on the way from ABQ to Taos Ski Valley, have found the hotel to be comfortable, clean, courteously staffed, unpretentious, and all at a surpisingly reasonable cost,

The hotel was built in the early 20th century, but has continued to upgrade its facilities. The rooms are comfortably sized,, the attached bathroom fixtures have been upgraded,, but regretably, the old passenger elevator with a self-operated gate has been replaced with a new model.

The hotel is conveniently located near the town square,the palace of the Governors, the cathedral, and a number of good restaurants., all within a five minute walk.

A charming complimentary tea service with cookies and cakes, reminiscent of an older and more civilized era, is served every afternoon.

A real period piece, as opposed to some of the considerably higher priced extensively advertised other nearby hotels --in which I previously have stayed. I shall return to the St. Francis this February, on my way to my 24 th year of skiing Taos, and during my 77th year.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel, or the side over the hotel's parking lot.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Peripatetic58
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My wife and I love and I love Santa fe , being a drug and alcohol counseler and my wife a probation officer we have seen the highest level of society and the lowest levels. We recently were recommended the Hotel st. Francis by our friends although we were warned about the small rooms which we didn't mind we were not prepared for walking to the front desk and the smell of alcohol wreaking from the breath of the pleasant young gentlemen with the kind blue eyes behind the front desk . Appearances can be deceiving. The young mans name tag said Baylen , other then the smell on his breath and the color of red in his eyes and the apparent disoriented movements I'm sure the stay would have been wonderful. We decided to come back and speak to the manager later on and the young lady name tag Jesse , same thing . Again I'm not sure wwhat kind of help this hotel hires but this was not where we chose to stay. First impressions and the first people you see are the front desk. If that is normal I don't even see how this hotel has guests .

• Stayed: November 2011
8  Thank Jvargas63
HeritageHtls, Public Relations Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

Hello JVargas,

On behalf of our front office staff at the Hotel St. Francis, we are incredibly sorry to hear that you chose not to stay due to your perception of the staff. We take every positive and negative review very seriously, and we have taken this review to high alert.

Our front office manager, Kim Hirst, brought the review to our attention because of comments made on two specific employees. Heritage Hotels and Resorts, the parent company of Hotel St. Francis, has a Drug Free Workplace policy that maintains a work environment free from the effects of alcohol, drugs, or other intoxicating substances. We take pride in the hotel employees, and the negative comments towards the two employees are being reviewed. We are confirming your statements and reconciling them with your timeline of events.

Thank you for complimenting the location and cleanliness according to your review. We appreciate for understanding the small, quaint rooms at Hotel St. Francis as well.

Again, Ms. Hirst and I are reviewing your comments very seriously and in a detailed fashion; we continue to strive for excellence as a staff and as a hotel.

Thank you.