“Disappointed.”

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Denver, Colorado
“Disappointed.”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I should probably rate this a 2-3 (fair to poor). Tiny, tiny room. There was a step to get to the tiny bathroom. First night I kept getting my foot caught in the holes of the top sheet. No kidding, the top sheet had 3 rips, the largest of which was 4 inches. Called front desk in the a.m. and they said they would have it taken care of. There was not any full length mirror to check appearance before leaving room (only the mirror above sink). I pulled up a chair above sink to stand on to assess if I looked OK before leaving room. No coffee pot in room. I called front desk 2 days later to see if they had coffee in lobby and they said they would send coffee pot to room. The front lobby was very nice but I was absolutely not happy with room. Will stay elsewhere next trip.

2 Thank L0rena_B2014
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear L0rena_B2014, thank you for taking the time to post your valuable review. We will take all your comments into account and we truly appreciate your feedback. We are proud of our lovely lobby and the rooms alike; however, these reviews help us to keep those rooms at their best. Thank you for coming to stay at our historic Hotel St Francis! Sincerely, Alder Seaman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Simple elegance near the center of Santa Fe. Rooms are European style small, but carefully appointed: Zen meets early southwestern colonial. Great bed w Frette sheets. Kind service. Serene lobby, delightful loggia (both with bar service). Definitely would return.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank RevRosemary
TNLAlbuquerque, General Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear RevRosemary,
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to our beautiful city. We are happy you were able to enjoy all the wonderful cultural and unique qualities of the property. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Abiquiu, Nm
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I love the calm feeling I get upon entering this hotel. The staff made sure we were not inconvenienced by the downtown power outage upon our arrival, and were more than accommodating in other ways. Our room was small, but I expect this in historic hotels, built at a time when people didn't travel with so much stuff! Three suggestions: install those rounded shower curtain rods to make more room in the shower; consider upgrading your towels...ours were scratchy and a little greyed; and improve the lighting above the vanity.
I would summarize this hotel as charming and a good way to experience "Santa Fe Style."

2 Thank Sherry M
Dear finmgmt,
Thank you for your recent review of Hotel St Francis. We are proud of the calm and cultural feeling our guests feel upon entering our hotel. I also notice you had suggestions on what we can do to better the property for all guests, I thank you for the feedback and we will look into your suggestions for the shower, and our towels. We look forward to having you stay again in the future at our beautiful property.

Melbourne
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We loved the privilege of being able to stay in the oldest hotel in Santa Fe. Comparing this hotel with some of the bigger newer ones is like comparing apples with oranges. Don't expect a conventional hotel. It is old, quaint, has lovely historic photos on the walls and friendly staff. There is a spacious indoor lobby and outdoor seating on the large street porch. We had a deluxe queen room on a corner on the second floor and joy of joys, could open the windows on each side and get fresh air and hear the quiet street noise. Bathroom was basic but adequate. Towels although clean, had a distinct unattractive gray appearance. There is no room service but the on site privately run restaurant is excellent and the bar has the best barman in town. A coffee machine and amply supply of coffee was supplied to the room on request. It is one minute from the plaza and a wonderful collection of restaurants. If you want a unique experience in the centre of town consider this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mitchbl
Dear b walker,
Thank you for your review of The Hotel St Francis, and your feedback of our beautiful historic property. We are privileged to have wonderful staff, and the best location for all guests. Our restaurant has amazing cuisine, and we are honored you enjoyed Secreto bar. I am addressing the concern on the color of our towels and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will make the necessary improvements for all guests to enjoy. We look forward to your return.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The location of this charming hotel was excellent. I liked the look and feel of the hotel. The decor was nice. I felt comfortable sitting on the porch and in the lobby having drinks.The room was nice but really small, The bed was comfy it took up most of the room. No security chain on my room door and the door opened just a couple of feet from bed.
Really bad lighting in bathroom and at vanity sink. Also no real mirror for that last minute back view check.
The shower in the next room or the room above me served as my alarm clock each morning. Also, not sure how often the linen is changed but not once during my three night stay was the linen changed. Never replenished the little amenities of lotion etc. The iron in my room didn't work and I left a note for housekeeping they removed it but it wasn't replaced. My room was on the second floor facing the parking lot. The first night I was concerned because when I looked out the window about a dozen motorcycles were parked under my room window but they must have left while I was out so i didn't need to worry about the engines revving.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Joanne H,
Thank you for the valuable feedback you provided in your review for the Hotel St Francis. We are pleased you found the property charming as the Hotel St Francis has a lot of history and culture as the oldest hotel in Santa Fe. I have addressed the concerns you noted on your review and thank you for bringing them to our attention. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

new braunfels
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We love the feel of the St. Francis and it's location is superb to all our favorite places and restaurants. The staff was wonderful and provided every special request we made to make my sister's birthday surprise a memorable experience. The only reason I give this hotel 4.5 instead of 5 is because the room was a tad bit small, but the bed and bath were still great. We will return again and again. (this was our 2nd time to use this hotel)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hello janie-allen and thank you for coming to stay with us again and again! We're thrilled to know that our stellar location and staff made a difference for you and your sister's birthday celebrations. We would love to offer you a very reasonable upgrade to one of our deluxe rooms during your next stay, and all of us look forward to welcoming you back again. Sincerely, Alder Seaman
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I so wanted to give this charming hotel a higher rating, but couldn't bring myself to do so. I'll start with the positives...location is awesome! Loved being so close to downtown, walking distance to so much, downtown, Canyon Rd, restaurants. Quaintness is this hotels middle name. We enjoyed some time in the lobby, due to our room being on the "cozy" side. The lobby ambiance is second to none. Jeremy checked us in and could not have been nicer. All the staff that we encountered could not have been nicer actually. Now for the flip side...room was incrediably tiny, noise outside of our room, #116, was awful! Trash being dumped in the dumpster late at night, early morning trash pick up and some sort of drilling right outside our window, very early, was not so great. It was the only one night get away my husband and I have had in over a year...not quiet what we had in mind. We did complain about the early morning noise, which we know they did not have control over, but putting anyone in this room, if others are available, verges on cruel! They did comp our parking as compensation...but did not make up for the lack of sleep to get through the next day. On a side note, Cafe Pasquels across the street, is wonderful!! If you stay at Hotel St. Francis, and you are given room 116, ask for a different one!

Room Tip: Don't get room 116.