“You stay here for the location”
Review of Hotel St. Francis

Hotel St. Francis
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent and there is available parking for a reasonable rate. It has a nice restaurant on site, that in spite of having excellent food, was not at all busy. It is within quick walking distance (about two blocks) from the main plaza and cathedral and only steps away from shops.

The queen rooms are small, but it is a historic hotel, so that is to be expected. Some look out onto a ventilation shaft and directly into the windows across the way, so don't expect a view. But they are charmingly appointed.

My only complaints were that the bathroom, especially the shower, wasn't clean. I stayed on two separate nights and the first time, a giant wad of someone else's hair (mine isn't nearly that long) was attached to the shower wall. The second night, no one noticed the personal shower gel that someone left behind hanging on the shower head.

My other complaint was that the Friday morning desk crew could really use some retraining in the concept of customer service. When I approached the desk, the two clerks were chatting. When the phone rang, one went to work on the computer telling the girl to answer the phone, leaving me to stand there and tap my fingers waiting to be checked out. Honestly, there's no excuse to leave the person who is physically present to talk to someone one the phone. The man on the computer needed to refocus his attention on customers rather than technology and the girl should have put the phone on hold if that was her choice. Also, the answer to the question "when I come back, could I have a room with a view?" should not be "we can give you a room without a window if you want." Both of the people who checked me in on Thursday and Sunday were really pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: The rooms that look over the patio are reasonably quiet even with the diners eating.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Geekamicus
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Geekamicus, thank you for coming to stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review! It's good to hear that you were charmed by the rooms and liked the central location. Your feedback regarding the bathrooms and the desk service are much appreciated and duly noted. We will certainly use this review as an opportunity to further train our staff! We hope to roll out the welcome carpet for you again when you are next in the area. Yours truly, Alder Seaman

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just finished our 4th of July weekend getaway and loved the hotel! The staff and housekeeping was very attentive. The rooms were small but worked fine for us! Loved all the windows in the room! The room was very bright, clean, and we always left the windows open since the weather was wonderful there. We had drinks at the hotel bar Secreto Lounge...the bartender Chris was great! Drinks were wonderful especially the Spicy Secreto...my fav! The covered patio in front of the hotel was a great place to relax with a drink in the afternoon and evenings. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HuskerGalfromDenver
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, HuskerGalFromDenver! We're so glad you got to experience the lovely sunny weather and the best cocktails in Santa Fe during your time here at Hotel St Francis. It will be our absolute pleasure to welcome you back for your next visit; meanwhile thank you for taking the time to post a review. Sincerely, Alder Seaman

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was very ill during my stay at the hotel due to a cold picked up on an airplane. The staff at the hotel took wonderful care of me by checking on me periodically, providing urgent care directions, providing a thermometer to test my temperature, etc. Both Anne and Brad were very helpful and made me feel well taken care of when I was feeling so sick I just wanted to go home. I got well and really enjoyed the rest of my stay at the friendliest hotel I've ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want at the desk
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank ROBERT G
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hello Robert G; we're so happy to have been of help to you during your stay and we appreciate your kind words regarding our staff! Anne and Brad will be thrilled to get your feedback, and it's good to hear you got to enjoy at least some of your visit to the "City Different" sans cold. We would love to roll out the carpet for you whenever you're in the mood for a relaxing return visit. Sincerely, Alder Seaman

Reviewed 2 July 2014

From start to finish this was a miserable experience. Starting with reservations there were issues. The reservation service cannot handle a reservation from a block of rooms. After many phone calls to the coordinator at the hotel were not returned, I finally reached Teresa who said that she would book my room and cancel the reservations that I had made at their sister hotel the Chimayo which I had made just to have some place to stay for the wedding. Teresa was supposed to send an email verification but of course nothing came. The week before our arrival I received a reminder from the Chimayo about my stay there - obviously Teresa had not cancelled the booking. I immediately called the St. Francis and luckily she had booked us a room there.
We arrived on on Friday afternoon and there was one person at the desk who was valiantly trying to check three of us in at the same time, not very successfully!
As stated previously there is NO baggage help available.
Our friends warned that the A/C had been non existent the night before so we immediately asked for a fan. Sure enough there was no A/C on either night of our stay. Yes the nights are cool but if you open you window you have city light pollution and in our case the air handler outside was running all night even though it was not cooling.
We did get half off of our room for the inconvenience but the story is not over yet.
I inadvertently left my brushes in the only tiny drawer under the sink. I called on Monday after realizing that they were missing and were told that housekeeping would be contacted. I received no call back. Wednesday I called and spoke to Alder, the same Alder who is answering all of these comments, and she told me that the room was now occupied but that she would put a note in the log for housekeeping to check on Sunday when the current guests left. I waited patiently until Sunday at noon and was told by housekeeping that the brushes had been found on Friday and thrown out!
After that I decided that Heritage hotels needed to know what was going on so I called and spoke to someone in Guest Relations. She assured me that someone would call me back....that was Monday and today is Wednesday and I have not heard a word.
I give up!
I feel sorry for the desk staff who have to deal with all of these complaints. My experience is not unique, every member of the wedding group had similar issues and we all got reductions in our room rate.

This hotel is not worth it, there are other, better hotels in Santa Fe!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hotczech

Dear hotczech, thank you for coming to stay at our historic Hotel St Francis. As we spoke on the phone while you were creating your review, I will simply say thank you for your feedback and apologize again for any miscommunication during my days off. Thank you, Alder Kaitlin Seaman

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had a 3 night stay in a top floor room with an unobstructed view. It's an old property, the room was just large enough for a queen bed and a sink, with a small room for shower/tub and toilet. If you're needs are to have a quiet room for sleeping, while spending the rest of your time exploring the city, this is a great value. Since it's a very old property with a floor that squeaked with each step, I cannot say whether occupying a lower floor would be as quiet. The desk clerk, Jeremy, was outstandingly accommodating, good communicator, and most pleasant compared to the other desk staff who were less precise and responsive to specific questions. The bar has a top rating, but we found the servers were not very responsive and acted more like models on a catwalk. The room was booked for us through HotWire by a friend with whom we were trying to be close to, and the overall experience was nothing comparable to our favorite in Santa Fe, namely, the Inn on the Alameda, which is admittedly more expensive, but includes an outstanding breakfast and wine hour in late afternoon. You get what you pay for, and this was a good low budget alternative.

Room Tip: Read my review.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Stuart G, we thank you for your review! It's great hearing how much you liked your 3rd floor accommodations and that Jeremy impressed you with his service. It sounds like you got to do some exploring of the downtown area and we're glad the room rates helped you decide to stay here at our historic Hotel St Francis. Your feedback is valuable and we have passed it along to all applicable departments. Thank you for staying with us. Sincerely, Alder Seaman

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We enjoyed the hotel but it was near 90 degrees and we had little or no air condition working in our room. It was uncomfortable and we were up most the nights hot. We enjoyed the location and the staff was good. I would stay again if they get their air working. A little over priced also

Room Tip: Check online for room pictures
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Manon D
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Manon D, thank you for coming to stay with us and for typing up a review. We're so glad you liked the hotel! We have had our maintenance team up to the corporate level working on our chiller, which has had some recent issues. We believe the problems are now fixed and we sincerely apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience of a too-warm room. We hope to welcome you back for a comfortable (cool) stay! Alder Seaman

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel is a short walk to the main attractions around the plaza. You couldn't ask for a better location! The hotel itself is fabulous, and the front desk was so kind and helpful. My friend and I really enjoyed our stay. The only glitch was that I didn't realize that there was a charge to park in their side parking lot. Then when we checked out we had a bill of 20 bucks for parking there for 24 hours. It was a surprise, but did not make me regret our wonderful stay. I would recommend staying there, just know that there is a charge for parking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank U3009HItinaj

Hello Tina1Kel, we appreciate receiving your review and all of us are pleased that you enjoyed your easy access to the downtown world of our "City Different". Our staff takes pride in our level of customer service and we are glad this came across for you. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon! Alder Seaman