“An amazing experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Fe
Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon
Ranked #30 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
San Diego
“An amazing experience”
Reviewed 20 February 2009

This is the first spa style resort we've ever stayed at; and it was a WONDERFUL first experience. Being able to walk back to a room on-site while still feeling secluded from spa-only goers is an absolute luxury. We stayed in New Moon; the pictures and description on the website do this room complete justice. It was just themed enough to feel romantic without being so overly done as to feel cheesy. The website, however, does not do the Spa justice at all. We had 1 hour massages followed by a private bath (Waterfall) and were simply blown away by the ammenities and style of this experience. Within a few minutes of walking around in a provided Kimono and sandals, you feel transported into a different world. We went up to the spa early in the evening to look around before our treatments. As some of the negative reviews suggest, it was definitely busy but one quickly understands that the quality promotes the popularity. The spa had nearly emptied by our treatments which began at 8pm and our private tub was reserved for the last hour of the evening (930pm). I highly recommend following this same schedule. We arrived back at our room around 10:45, warm, massaged, and relaxed. We started a wood fire, turned on the Bose stereo system and allowed ourselves to simply melt into the experience. The pricing may seem high to someone who is accustomed to constant attention and roomservice as these aren't provided; but the price is easily commanded by the atmosphere and overall experience.
We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank travelingfiend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 28 December 2008

Wintertime in Santa Fe where the sands are covered in a blanket of snow. My husband and I booked a room at Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon to celebrate our last night in New Mexico before heading back home after the winter holidays. Everything was perfect. Splurge for the Crescent Moon if you can. The lovely bedroom and additional living room make such a nice, warm and inviting space. We booked a 2 hour private bath in the New Kojiro as well and counted the stars as well as icicles. Our dog loved the accommodations as well, a pet pillow and doggie treats. Thanks Houses of the Moon!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mrslauer
Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 November 2008

Review of the spa only. I booked two 'Natural' packages for myself and a friend. Very disappointed. I went expecting a tranquil experience, but it was anything but. After checking (in a lobby that was as busy as a train station), one is given a robe, told to shower and come back to wait in the lobby. Eventually we were shown to our private hot tub - this was the best part of the visit. This was followed by our package of treatments - head and neck treatment, full body massage and salt glow. Although my friend had a relaxing experience with her masseuse, I have never been been through such a vigorous, rough experience. And that's putting it nicely.
So this was definitely not the relaxing spa experience I had been looking forward to.
Other comments: their women's locker room/shower area is way too small to accommodate the number of guests using it and selling 'Hello Kitty' merchandise in the reception area is tacky.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank luuluu
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 October 2008

Ok..to sum up. My husband and I LOVED Ten thousand waves.
It was peaceful, calm, lovely..etc...The staff save for a couple rude floks was lovely and pleasant and helpful. We stayed for 4 nights in the Full Moon room.. It is their biggest and most expensive room. It was a lovely room. It reminded me of what a weekend cabin in the woods would be. The bed was a bit hard but not too bad, a king would have been nice.. The full kitchen was wonderful to have. We shopped in town and cooked several meals on our own. The breakfast in the morning of granola and fruit was surprisingly satisfying. We also barbequed on the habachi on the deck on night. Our room also had a washer and dryer. All very nice. The problem here is the price of the room. For 349 dollars a night this was in no way worth it. The room didn't have a separate bed room and the bath room was no more than a normal bathroom in a normal house. Though we did LOVE the heated toilet seat!! Also it was odd to get no benefit at the bath house for staying on site. We will be back. But we will be back in low season and we will stay in a smaller room. If they drop their prices we will be back more. For those staying on site maybe something like a free private bath at night? Discount on spa services? Something to cover the crazy cost. Go there, I highly recommend it, but go in low season or it will break your budget.

• Liked — The location and buidlings were lovely..working with nature is awesome.
  • Disliked — The Price, the price, the price.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LadyMercy
denver colorado
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We were blissed out completely with our stay at Ten Thousand Waves. My sister and I did a package called "The Blissful Idyll" which was over the top spa luxury and included two nights in the Houses of the Moon lodging. Full Moon was a sunwashed house with hummingbirds and a wildflower meadow off our deck. Amazing mountain experience. Loved the walk in our kimonos up to the spa on a meandering path through the woods. Felt like we were in another world, or at least Japan! Outdoor hot tubs, tumbling waterfall into koi ponds, saunas, massage, cucumber water, and walking down the mountainside to return to our room nestled in the pines was bliss. Tranquil and restful stay that we would recommend to anyone. We want to go back next year and try another package.

• Liked — Full Moon and the lodging and spa staff. They seemed so happy to be there!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank pictureplane
santa fe
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Peaceful and easy stay in New Moon. The bed was incredibly comfortable. I appreciated the complementary breakfast in my room and firewood. Also, the pet friendly aspect was a real plus. My chow chow loved it as well!. Lodging staff was amazing and accommodating and helped me with my spa services and found me a great restaurant in Santa Fe. I will recommend this spa and lodging to all my friends and will be back. A great place to get centered, pampered, and rejuvenated.

• Liked — professional staff and great spa services
  • Disliked — no restaurant on site
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank spagoersantafe
california
Reviewed 9 June 2008

First I want to say that this review is for the hotel, not the spa. My experience at the Spa, the treatments I mean, were some of the best I have ever had. The girl who did the facials is beyond excellent, she is a true beacon of knowledge and skill at her craft. The massages were A+ all the way, at least for me. The tubs for public use were too crowded, and the private I felt were overpriced for the fact that as a guest overpaying for the terrible hotel, you should get a deep discount for a private tub, but you don't. Hotel: Below average rooms for the price, not made up for two friends to stay in comfortably, and just sort of weird! We didn't sleep well and they promised it was suitable for two, which it wasn't really, at least not for $300 a night. The real trouble came at check out when all our deep relaxation we had just payed an arm and a leg for went straight out the window. That hotel needs to either slash the prices to reflect their poooooooor management or get someone in there to put that office in check! They need a major overhaul with the flaky, lazy whatever mentality of overcharging customers and then acting like it's not a big deal. Whatever you do, don't ever let a woman by the name of "Love" anywhere near your credit card. When we checked in she said, "Let me make it easier for you two (we were friends splitting a "girls get-away") by having all your spa treatments charged individually. If each of you just give me a credit card, it will all be taken care of and when you check out, we will split the room down the middle and you can just sign and be on your way". Not the case! We were each overcharged about $900 on our credit cards after we checked out and when we called the hotel to get it sorted out, it just got worse. I spent about three days, calling five times a day to get the false charges all sorted out, and even at the end I wasn't sure it was correct but I would have payed them to just go away. They really screwed up and never offered even an apology. I will never stay here again, although I would suggest going for the day and getting a massage and facial. If you do go, it was beautiful in late February with the crisp air and snow flocked trees. Santa Fe is JUST Georgous!

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Checking out
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends