“What a Place!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Fe
Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon
Ranked #30 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Dillon, Colorado
“What a Place!”
Reviewed 29 May 2007

My boyfriend decided to surprise me with a trip to 10,000 Waves after a stressful winter. What a surprise it was! Most importantly to me was the fact that for a mere $20 a night I could bring my dog, and he could join us during our private tub time. We stayed in the Moonlet. There was no tv (as we wanted), but our room was stocked with granola and soy milk, fresh fruit and chocolates! Also, the french press coffee and selection of loose tea was amazing! The pools were relaxing and clean, and a fresh supply of towels was always close at hand. We stayed over Easter weekend, and even with the extra "holiday" business we received the highest quality of service. Extra firewood was easily obtained from the staff when a freak spring snowstorm hit. Definatly stay the night in one of their houses, and take advantage of all the offerings!

This vacation made me want to move to Santa Fe!

• Liked — The views and surroundings
  • Disliked — I really have no complaints!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ColoradoNitzy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 May 2007

The best way to experience Ten Thousand Waves is to stay on the property. We stayed in the Tsuki house and were very happy with our choice. It was a multi-level room with a pitched roof, full kitchen, and big outdoor patio. King size bed, spacious bathroom, and living room. It had a very Zen-like feeling, and the CDs in the room adding to the relaxing feeling.

Highly, highly recommend a stay here. There's nothing like walking from your own house in a robe up to the spa for a treatment. The grounds are fantastic.

Stayed May 2005
12 Thank havanahipster
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 October 2006

My mother and I recently stayed in the Yado room at TTW during our visit to Taos and Santa Fe. We were only in the room for one night, but we have a way to checking out all of the amenities no matter how short the time frame!! Upon arrival, we checked in at the lodging desk and were guided to our room by the attendant. We had spa services shortly after our check-in and were told to shower and head to the spa by the lodging attendant. Unfortunately, there was one S/M robe in our room and one XXL - I thought this was odd, so I ran back to the lodging off to ask for one more smaller robe so that one of us would not be swimming in our robe!! I got an attitude from the lodging attendant who said that the sizing was Japanese and that we should just try to wear what we had (was he implying that I looked like an XXL?). However -- he did give me another S/M robe after some discussion.
The room was sparse but lovely -- appointed with great lotions and shampoos -- a full tea set and fruit basket was a pleasant surprise. There was also granola and rice milk in the fridge which made for a good snack before our morning spa services. I was a bit disappointed when the hair dryer in the room failed to work -- upon calling the lodging office, I spoke with the same gentleman whom I had the robe discussion with -- he told me that I just didn't know how to press the reset buttons and that I should keep trying -- however, I am totally stupid and I knew the hairdryer was burnt out. I sent my mother to the front office to return the hair dryer -- the front desk attendant wanted SO BADLY to make me look stupid -- but he did plug the dryer in and realized that is was, in fact, burnt out!! Haha.
The shower in the Yado was beautiful -- no bathtub.
I recommend TTW -- for a short stay.

• Liked — Quality of linens, shower, comfort of bed
  • Disliked — Hairdryer didnt work, wrong size robes, unfriendly frontdesk
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank xjgrl
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2006

I LOVED Ten THousand Waves!!

We stayed for 2 nights in Sailor Moon, one of the "modern" rooms dedicated to Sailor Moon the anime character. The room was incredible -- like a little jewel box -- that made me feel like I had left the Southwest behind and stepped into Tokyo.

Attention was paid to every little detail from the artwork on the walls to the beautiful orchid on the desk and the yummy granola stocked in our frig, ready for breakfast. When we arrived late at night, we even found 2 little chocolate buddha fortune candies on the turned over bed.

The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The outside garden area was perfect for reading and having breakfast in the morning. We had a wonderful quiet and restful sleep.

Also included in the room price was the use of the public baths at the spa which was great!

The only negative I have about the room was that oddly there was only a small hangrail for clothing -- no dresser or closet. Not sure if this is in keeping with Japanese tradition, but we basically had to keep our clothing on the day bed in the room. No big deal really.

Overall, TTW was one of the most unique hotel experiences I've had and I would recommend it to anyone out there as the best place to stay in Santa Fe. (did I mention the great hiking trails right near by too?)

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank katgut
Charlottesville
Reviewed 8 May 2006

Ten Thousand Waves's Japanese design is a perfect complement to the natural beauty in this area of Santa Fe/New Mexico. My now-husband and I stayed in Luna back in June of 2002 -- for only one night -- and were not disappointed!

The bed was so comfortable that we ended up buying a foam mattress and platform bed for our own home. We are both writers and frequently discuss returning for a much longer stay (week-long) and will defintely do this when the time is right. If you like the photographs on their Web site and/or the Japanese design aesthetic, enjoy soaking, and are interested in a tranquil and romantic vacation, Ten Thousand Waves is not to be missed. In fact, it looks as though the Houses of the Moon have been more impressively furnished and decorated since our visit.

Wonderful things we remember: smell of pinons, refreshing cucumber water, sitting in a warm tub on a cool evening under a sky full of stars, complimentary Japanese films, luxurious bathroom, breakfast in our courtyard visited by a lizard, cold well water in our fridge.

Note: if you are offended by nudity and/or Buddha, then this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2002
16 Thank jethro-gecko
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 16 April 2006

Wow! What a wonderful place. I am a native New Mexican and wish I had known about this place before. It is pure Santa Fe. No place like it in the world w/ the unique blend of adobe and Japanese. We stayed in 2 different rooms, both were wonderful - especially the bathrooms. I would recommend any room from what I saw.

The staff is again pure Santa Fe, with a delightful man at registration. You will know you are in Santa Fe from the moment you enter the door. Definately not Kansas!!!

The spa was wonderful also - not much of a spa goer, but this was outstanding. The private tubs are fantastic also. Not for little kids (in my opinion).

Don't hesitate and have a blast!!!

15 Thank Mrs. Zebra
washington dc
Reviewed 31 January 2006

We stayed 4 nights in Blue Moon, which had a separate living room area with fireplace, TV and sound system. The spacious bedroom had a microwave and mini fridge stocked with excellent granola, soy and rice drinks, and coffee beans. All the equipment is there to have a freshly ground coffee every morning (grinder, water boiler, french coffee press). They also stock a bowl of fruit everyday and we had chocolate buddhas on our pillow every night (this may have been a promotion of some kind). Attention to detail really makes Ten Thousand Waves special: the toilets are heated, the in-house toiletries come in big sizes (we ended up buying a set since we loved the smell of them), lodging guests get a heavy kimono robe and an orange Japanese style overcoat for walking up to the spa. The spa is up a gradual series of steps winding through pinon trees. There's no restaurant on site, but in the welcome folder there's a book of menus from restaurants that deliver to the resort. Otherwise, it's a quick 10 minute drive into downtown. But you might not want to leave, as it's very peaceful (at least in Jan.) and the air is clean and clear and the sky full of stars. And the Japanese aesthetic everywhere is a nice change of pace from the southwestern adobe style you see throughout Santa Fe. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2006