“A Very Special Place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
new jersey
“A Very Special Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

We spent ten days at this wonderful B&B and enjoyed every minute of it. The cozy, rustic atmosphere, the friendly, helpful staff, meeting & talking with interesting people at the inn's "happy hour," and the delicious breakfasts, all contributed to a great Santa Fe vacation. A special thanks to Merrilee who graciously helped us find the most delicious restaurants in the area. The location of the inn is perfect...quiet, yet within walking distance to the downtown area. There is so much to do in the area and we hope to return one day. When we do, we surely will stay at Hacienda Nicholas again!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Santa Monica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

We arrived. We were enchanted by this lovely B&B. We did not want to leave. We want to go back...now!

What a lovely time we had at Hacienda Nicholas. It has great rustic charm, a warm and welcome feel about the place. We enjoyed our casita; everything was just right. We especially enjoyed the homey gathering space where we joined with others each night at 5 p.m. for wine and other treats. We met some great people, and even went out with one couple for pizza. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Our very favorite was Merrilee, who went out of her way to make us feel welcome. The breakfasts were tasty and hearty. Homemade cookies were available 24/7. I have nothing but good to say about this wonderful B & B. Also, you could not ask for a better location, just a couple of blocks from the plaza at the center of town. Perfect!

1 Thank glschaefer
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

We stayed in the Sunflower room. It was perfect! Very cozy and convienient place. Merrilee and Greg were wonderful hosts and had great suggestions for dinner. We loved epyzote for New Mexican mole dinner - it was amazing.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

This B&B was perfect for us! It's close enough to Santa Fe's Plaza to walk to in a few minutes, but far enough away that you're not bothered by the plaza's hustle and bustle. It was very affordable for the amount of time we spent in Santa Fe. The staff was very helpful and the rooms were really nice. We also loved the cozy common room with wine and appetizers, what a great way to enjoy your stay!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Lafayette, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

My husband and I have stayed in the Madaline before and without hesitation asked to stay there again for this trip. The Madaline is also run by the same owners as the Hacienda Nicolas. It's across the street. It's where breakfast and happy hour are served. The staff continue to be friendly, professional, helpful and welcoming. Highly recommend to anyone whom likes to stay in B&Bs. Its great being so close to the Plaza. I was only sorry that the weather didn't allow us to sit outside in the lovely garden.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

My husband and I recently returned from a 3 day getaway weekend in Santa Fe. Staying at Hacienda Nicholas was an excellent choice for us as we were looking for a reasonably priced hotel near the Plaza with a top rated Spa.
First, we stayed in the Nicholas Suite. Comfy, cozy and charming. My only complaints--the heat seemed to be either on or off there was no real in between and the bathroom didn't have a vent so was pretty chilly in the middle of the night and morning. Neither of these were a deal breaker for us as we knew we were staying in an original hacienda. The room was cleaned daily. Breakfasts and evening wine socials were both delicious and unpretentious. All in all a great value with a good location near the plaza in Santa Fe. We would definitely stay again in the future.
Next, our experience at Absolute Nirvana--deluxe treatments--was the perfect kickoff to a relaxing weekend. The spa was a short walk across the street, the treatment rooms were cozy, calming and, to my surprise, allowed for the massage, body scrub, steam shower and rose petal bath all within the same room. Though I'm not a super shy person, the idea of walking through any spa barely dressed is never a completely relaxing experience--since all the facilities were within the same room I was able to deeply relax.
Though this is not a place I would stay with our 2-year old, this is definitely a great find for adults or families with older children. We loved our stay at Hacienda Nicholas!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JCs_Luv2Travel
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
I am happy to hear that our recent guests from Kansas City would be happy to come back and stay with us for another visit, and that they thoroughly enjoyed their stay at both the inn as well as their spa treatment at our Absolute Nirvana Spa.

As for the heat in the room, I have checked it and it is working perfectly. It is a forced air system, with a thermostat in the room itself. As with all forced air systems, once the room is heated to the desired temperature, the heat stops as it is no longer called for. When the room begins to cool down, the heat is demanded once again. Perhaps they are accustomed to radiant and not familiar with forced air?

The bathroom vent does not bring in much warm air, due to the nature of the adobe structure, but there is a separate heater in the bathroom for just this reason.

It is always good to get feedback, as it helps us to do a better job. It would be really nice to rip out the floor and put in radiant heat, but unfortunately, I am not able to undertake such a project at this time. In the meantime, I will see if I can't get a better heat system in the bathroom.
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

This was our second stay at the Hacienda Nicholas. We have stayed both times in the Chamisa suite since it has the Kiva fireplace right at the foot of the bed. It also has its own entrance out into the courtyard and is the closest room to parking and the Nirvana spa.....ahhhh the Nirvana spa, the best I have been to in the world and I am a bit of a spa officiando! The spa and hacienda staff are very welcoming and friendly. Upon our arrival the innkeeper personally walked me over to check in, when she could have just pointed the way if she wanted.

I was pleased to see some added amenities from our last visit.....a coffee maker and fridge have been added to the room. I personally have no need for the fridge but do have some friends with diabetes, that must have a fridge for insulin and this is a nice addition. COFFEE was excellent to have and not have to go to the common room in the middle of the night. I was also pleased with the new plush spa like towels. I love thick, soft towels and these were excellent. Even hubby commented (which says alot!). I am modest and not a person to anter about in a robe, but there are two nice spa robes waiting in the bathroom for you.

The hot breakfast was just simply delicious....an egg, cheese, bacon, green chile enchilada with black beans, sour cream and salsa sides (see pic). Wonderful fruit cups with a good variety of fruit (cantelope, melon, strawberries, pineapple & blackberries). As always there are fresh muffins, cereals and other traditional morning fare. I love their coffe, full bodied without that overpowering bitterness.

Both times we've come in the winter. I can't wait to come back in the summer some time to enjoy an evening out on the patio with a nice fire or a breakfast out there as well. Wish I had the money and time to recreate that interior courtyard at my own home!

They are in an easy walking distance to the plaza and our favorite restaurant, the Bull RIng. The Bull Ring is a bit pricey but worth it! Everything is out of this world delicious, the wine selection is superb and the service is excellent. They locals really push Pasqals....don't bother overpriced, arrogant staff, tight seating and skimpy food. Though I did get to sit thigh to thigh (literally) with an A-List celeb! LOL! Bobcat bites is a great place for lunch! Cheap and good. There will likely be a small wait, but its worth it.

Be prepared to lay down some bucks when shopping in Santa Fe....everything is way overpriced so they can afford to pay their leases/mortgages. For cheap eats try (as I suggested) Bobcat Bites on the outskirts of town and for shopping go to the Old Trading Post. Stuff is much less expensive there than other places with the same offerings. I got some nice coats off their 75% off rack that were triple to price in other boutiques.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple