“I will definitely stay at the Hacienda Nicholas/Madeleine Inn again!”

Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #3 of 36 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee, WI
“I will definitely stay at the Hacienda Nicholas/Madeleine Inn again!”
Reviewed 25 June 2009

I had a wonderful time in Santa Fe and many of the good experiences were provided by the staff of Hacienda Nicholas and the Madeleine Inn/Absolute Nirvana Spa – either directly (kindness & great food, conversation & facial, etc.) or indirectly (good suggestions re: restaurants & walking routes). I hope to be back in a year to ride some or all of the Santa Fe Century, if not sooner, and can’t imagine staying anywhere else!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Having visited Santa Fe regularly for 30 years and stayed in many other hotels, Hacienda Nicholas is by far the best B&B in this lovely city. It's within easy walking distance of the historic plaza and yet is in a quiet corner away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown. The home-cooked breakfasts (included) are marvelous and the ever present cookies, evening wine and hors d'oeuvres tempt the palate as well as your resistance. It's a treasure.

1 Thank Anchorman77
New York
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Great stay in a great place. The staff, especially Anna, was terrific. Full of good advice and so accomodating. Rooms are comfortable. Breakfast really creative and delicious. Nice wine and snacks in the afternoon. Don't go to Santa Fe without them!

1 Thank CSIProf
Yorkshire UK
Reviewed 18 June 2009

This is a difficult one, & I guess its all about expectations. As always, we had read the reviews on this site & most where good. It was also the most expensive accommodation of our trip, so expectations where high.
So my first impression was one of great disappointment. Arriving in the car park my first comment was " I do not want to stay here". The dark adobe building was not complimented or enhanced by the use of "grubby-looking" net curtains at the windows. The overal appearance was a little depressing. However, my hubby is the sensible one & insited that we check inside before we made a decision. Overall, I am glad we did. My mood did infact im prove as we were welcomed into the communal area. Whilst a little dark it was far more welcoming that the outside led us to believe. We were then shown to the outdoor courtyard, quite pleasant, & our large room. The room was good. Very large, very clean, nice bathroom, big bed & comfortable sitting area. Practical & functional.Fine. The disappointment here was the number of instuctional notes around the place. Perhaps this is a personal dis-like, & not one that would worry others. I would much prefer 'personal advice / instruction from the Inn-Keeper / Host & the notes summarised in a room directory. ( am I being picky ???? ) I can understand why this is done, but It does give me the impression that the Inn-Keeper is a little reluctant to communicate with guests. So mixed messages here for me.
A couple of other disappointments for me. Some of the towels were a bit grey & frayed.
Breakfast were good, a nice selection of cereals, some fruit & always a warm egg dish. No complaints there. Additionally, there is always some nice treats available, which were great. However, it was on occassion difficult to get a hot , fresh, cup off coffee. On at least one occassion we had coffee left over from breakfast warmed up for us.
Not what I expect in accomodation in this price bracket.
Having said all that, the room was spotlessly clean & well serviced whilst we were there. Above all, the Inn is in a fabulous location. Ideal for all the sites, museums & a great selection of restuarants. The hosts, Ann & Anna are both very helpful & will readily offer advice on area sites & resturants. It is no trouble to them to make reservations for you.
Whilst the place was Ok, & worked for us, it just lacked a little finesse for the price.

4 Thank oneval
Boston
Reviewed 16 June 2009

The physical accommodations were charming and the innkeepers friendly and extremely helpful and accommodating. The breakfasts were delicious (and accommodated our dietary needs e.g. gluten-free), and snacks and beverages were available all day. We wholeheartedly recommend this B&B!

1 Thank sfb58
Centennial, CO
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Everyone at the B&B was super friendly, including meeting many guests and all of the staff. We met people at the afternoon happy hour, whom we sat with again for breakfasts. I ate too many cookies and brownies - yum! Everyone was sharing their activities, places to go. The Hollyhock room was charming with a Log Cabin style quilt, and the bathroom was a step down within the room into bathroom tiles with painted Mexican tile. We had gotten a gift certificate for our wedding to stay there from friends, and it was well worth it!

1 Thank fromCO
pasadena, California
Reviewed 13 May 2009

Hacienda Nicholas is a charming little B&B off the beaten path, but still in a great location near the plaza. If you are looking for something other than the standard hotel, then the Hacienda is for you. We felt like we were staying in someone's house. The customers seemed a little bit older (50's and 60's) but everyone was supernice. Everyone we had contact with in charge of this property was great. We stayed in the Nicholas room. Large and comfortable with a great bed. One of the biggest rooms on the property. Charming little courtyard to hang out in during the day or evening. River was extremely helpful, as was all the staff. Our only regret was that our trip had to be cut short because I came down with strep throat. What a drag! But the time we spent there was great. Food was fantastic. Anne ( Please forgive me if that's not right! I'm awful with names.) is a whiz in the kitchen, and had lots of great advice for restaurants. I was so sad we didn't have the chance to sample all of the wonderful treats being made daily for breakfast and happy hour. We will definitely be back, maybe after I get my tonsils out!