“The spirit of Santa Fe”

Inn of the Turquoise Bear
Ranked #2 of 37 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2014

When we came there I was completely unprepared to what I saw - an old adobe house in a beautiful garden, surrounded with pines and flowers. The rooms have separate entrances and are small, not very comfortable according to modern standards, but this place is so special I would never exchange it for modern comfort. Plus, the size of the room is nothing really, as you have this charming garden, the living room furnished in old-fashion but beautiful style, the breakfast room with an incredible view. To get to Santa Fe central plaza is ca 10 minutes walk.
This place is hstoric and charming, and very, very romantic.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Inn and truly enjoyed it! Dan and Greg do a great job making sure each guest has an enjoyable stay. Breakfast was great and the Inn and the grounds are just fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Turquoisebear, Owner at Inn of the Turquoise Bear, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for the review Jim! It was great seeing you and Chris again. It was fun meeting adorable Marley during your visit. Hope to see you again and again. Perhaps the family can meet you mid-way next time to enjoy the Inn and all that Santa Fe has to offer! Safe Journeys!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

As usual, we enjoyed our 7th stay at the Inn which was during our yearly trip to Santa Fe for opera, music, museum tours, great dining and hiking. This is a beautiful property, short walk to the plaza and dining, well maintained, helpful and courteous staff and great breakfasts. I'd recommend it without reservation.
Kris and Dennis

Room Tip: This is a picturesque and historic property where rooms are arranged in separate units, all quiet an...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Kris & Dennis. Thank you for the review. It was great getting to know you better on your return trip to Santa Fe and the Inn. You took advantage of all of Santa Fe's charms...hiking, art markets on the plaza, fine restaurants, and some down-time on our patio. We're looking forward to your visit next year during the Folk Art Market! Be well!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

In the past, I have made comments about my annual trips to Santa Fe for the Santa Fe Opera, the Chamber Music Festival and other events that make the summer very delightfully musical every year. I have been a regular visitor to the Inn of the Turquoise Bear for these stays and have been most pleased by the accommodations. There has been little change there now that they inn has changed ownership. The new owners have not been there very long and I am sure that they will make some changes as they learn the personality of the Inn and its loyal customers. I will happily write more later as I find how the Inn evolves.

First of all, the Inn itself is very much 'old Santa Fe' rather than the newer lodging facilities around the city which make the visits to Santa Fe as original as a visit to 'any-city USA'.
The Turquoise Bear is a delightful experience in itself. It attracts lodgers who also are there for the music festivals as well as the galleries and museums to explore for 'off hours'. Those lodgers repeatedly come to the Inn from across the country and the world and become a wonderful part of what I enjoy about this Inn. The breakfasts become discussion groups about yesterday's (or last night's) performances.

There have not been many B and B's where I have stayed which have such freewheeling conversation. The diners are not separated out into private tables as you might find in other Inns. There is one enormous table for breakfast, but if there are those who wish to avoid the conversation, there are patio 'cafe tables' for that or for overflow.

Since I mentioned breakfast, I must mention that the nature of the breakfast has changed with the new owners. The 'cold table' with fruits, cereals, breads (with a toaster) is exactly the same. The hot breakfast has changed in that there is not a menu any more but a breakfast entree available. That entree changes daily and if a diner does not wish the entree of the day, an alternate is available (eggs any style with sides as desired). This past week, I decided to keep to the entree and had a delightful breakfast every morning. I have no idea of what the future holds, but my mornings had fajitas or quiches for the most part. There was a fresh fruit smoothie every morning (many made from home grown fruits and berries) which, even though it was different each morning, I became an addict for them.

I am sure that I am missing something that I had planned to say, but I will have more to say following my next visit, I am sure.

I want to assure the old 'regulars' at the Inn of the Turquoise Bear that while the place has changed from what you remember, it is still a wonderful place to stay and I plan on remaining a returning reg

Room Tip: Every room is different and each room has its quirks. Your choice should probably be made based upo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Bob, we're already looking forward to your next visit! It was a pleasure having you stay with us for a nice long visit. We enjoy when our guests reunion here, hearing the stories from past stays and getting your feedback on our future plans for this historic estate! Thank you for your kind review! Hurry back Bob!

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We spent one night while passing through Santa Fe, but wished we could have stayed at least 2 more. The inn is an absolute delight - charming room, whimsical gardens throughout the property, delicious food, and wine on the terraces in the evening. Dan and David even accommodated our golden retriever (and welcomed him with what appeared to be homemade dog treats). A 10 minute walk to the historic downtown. All in all - highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank hazelakent

Thank you for the kind review! Our four legged guests deserve to be treated to a stress-free visit also! Our 3 pet friendly rooms are situated such that privacy is created for all! They particularly enjoy our ample gardens. We hope to see you again when you can stay a bit longer to enjoy Santa Fe and our Inn.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My first visit to Santa Fe was last week for work, and I was lucky to find the Inn of the Turquoise Bear, through a friend's recommendation. The building is beautiful, perfectly located (an easy walk to downtown), and surrounded by lovely gardens. The breakfasts were excellent, and a delightful way to start each day. In the afternoons, a glass of wine on the patio overlooking the gardens was a perfect way to meet new people or just relax and refresh before dinner. This place is a real gem, and the staff is excellent and quite friendly, but never intrusive. Although it was a busy weekend with work events, I left Santa Fe feeling revitalized and rested: this is entirely due to the wonderful stay I had at the Turquoise Bear. I can't wait to return for a true vacation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Laura L

Laura, it was such a pleasure meeting you during your stay at the Inn. We're so happy you returned home rested and revitalized....isn't that the point of a get-away? We know you were busy with work activities during your stay and so happy we were able to provide some nice balance to your Santa Fe business trip! We look forward to your return for a real vacation also!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Perfect atmosphere for a quiet and restful stay with it's spacious understated charm. Beautiful landscaped gardens. Breakfasts are wonderful and creative . Dan was a gracious and personable host. We will most certainly return when we visit Santa Fe.

Room Tip: All the rooms were very comfortable and quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janice H

Thank you for the review Janice. It was a pleasure getting to know you and Katie a bit better during your brief stay at the Bear! We do try to be creative with our gourmet breakfasts to surprise and delight our guests. We're looking forward to creating more memories together during your next visit! Be well!