“Un-Santa Fe Style”

Ranked #28 of 36 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Long Beach, California
“Un-Santa Fe Style”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I stayed in one of the units on McKenzie Street. The bathroom ceiling has mold. The kitchen sink drain pipe came loose and spilled water over the floor (manangement fixed this when I called). Overall cleanliness was suspect. There was no maid service during my 3-day stay. Location of this property is great; walking distance to the Plaza. But pay a little more someplace else to experience a better Santa Fe experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New England
Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

I somehow found Casa del Toro while driving south from Durango, CO with intermittent cell phone service. Drove up in the dark and was a little unsure of everything. Traveling with my son and needed two beds, not just a double room. Jody was great on the phone and left keys in an envelope for our late arrival. Our Casa was great. Not fancy as other reviewers have noted, but clean and comfortable. In the morning we stopped in the office for coffee and advice from Jody, then walked the short 3 blocks to the main square. This place is a gem, perfect location, and I can't wait to visit again.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank gottagoME
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed in one of the casitas as a last resort, as everything else was booked due to a festival in Albuquerque. I am a fan of funky, but this place is simply run down. There was a garden area devoid of flowers and filled with weeds. The outdoor furniture was filthy. The walls inside need a good scrubbing and painting. The chinking betwen the tiles in the bathroom falls out when you shower. The pillows had no pillow liner. There were not enough lights and those that were there were cheap plastic WalMart specials. None of the windows opened, so for fresh air the air conditioning was the only choice. It was really the grossest place I have stayed in a long time - very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CBGrace
salem, massachusetts
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed here two years ago and thought that this place was wonderful. How things have changed. I am a woman staying alone in an upstairs studio and do not feel safe. The door is flimsy and the lock does not catch. I have two patio chairs blocking the stairs and a chair in front of the door inside. The TV does not stay on for more than ten minutes at a time. There was no hair dryer and I had to walk over to the office to get one. The manager could not find one and then asked when I would need it. I was standing there with dripping wet hair and said now would do. She had to go to another unit to get one. The main house, where they use to serve breakfast, looks like a junk shop. I asked when they stopped serving breakfast- she replied a couple of weeks ago. When I made my reservation, the web site indicated that they still served breakfast. When I got back from visiting galleries, there were two women from LA who had been a left the wrong key and could not get in their unit. What a disaster - I hope that I can leave and find another place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank lynnart
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I'm writing this review while my husband and I are still here to give you the clearest perspective we can. The pictures and reviews are very deceiving. The casita we are staying in is definitely not what is advertised. Everything is old and decrepit. The wooden floors are incredibly warped and creaky and honestly feel very unsafe in certain spots. There is an unlocked trap door in the "kitchen" that when opened is filled with trash. Supposedly we have a kitchen which consists of a mini fridge and a microwave and a random assortments of mismatched dishes and silverware. Due to the fact that we have a "kitchen" breakfast is NOT included. The bathroom faucet is loose. There is dry rot and mold in the corner of the bathroom by the bathtub. The toilet seat is loose. The satellite keeps going in and out for no reason. The tv remotes do not work properly and one must get up to turn the tv on and off or increase or decrease the volume. We can hear everything our neighbors do. Maybe the other units are better than this one, but this one is definitely not worth $118 per night. The only reason my husband and I gave it 2 stars is its proximity to the Plaza, which is very close and within walking distance. We will not be staying here again and will certainly not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Key West
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I do love this business, as it is an affordable way to stay in a home in Santa Fe when I visit my daughter. Walking distance to downtown, comfortable, cozy and quiet neighborhood. All the conveniences of home, for the price of median priced hotel! It is always nice to have a kitchen when I stay to make a meal if we want to stay in, or just a cup of tea whenever. Thanks again for making my stay feel like home.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank njcyogi
California
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed for a week and enjoyed every minute. If you want pretense and crowds, then you might want to stay in town. If you want comfort and quiet, this is the place to stay. Our one- bedroom casita on Staab was homey, with a full kitchen, lots of light, and a comfortable living room with t.v. We especially liked sitting outside after sunset admiring the sunflowers in the front yard and stargazing. Breakfast was a treat that we looked forward to every morning, and our cooks Star and Jody were very warm and welcoming. Their meals were healthy and delicious. They even let us sneak in early to accommodate our conference schedule throughout our stay. If you want cozy and off the beaten path and still be just a short 5 minute walk to the plaza, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business