“Great Value for Downtown Santa Fe!”

and 1 more site!
Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 37 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We found Casa Del Toro online while searching for hostels in Santa Fe. Walkability and proximity to downtown were of special importance to us. The 'check availability' tool on this B&B's website allowed us to check out when there were rooms available, and we noticed they offer special hostel rates for last minute visitors! We called in and spoke with Jody about the possibility of staying in a casita for a low rate, at the last minute, for under their 3 night minimum (we stayed for two nights).
Jody was able to give us everything we asked for - a great rate on a downtown location in peak tourist season. She told us in no uncertain terms that this room was not their best one (324 Staab Unit B), but we usually stay in hostels while traveling, so this was a definite upgrade for us - and the room was pretty comfortable. We didn't have breakfast here, never even checked to see if one was provided to guests. Make no mistake - the house is not posh. These accommodations are perfect for someone on a budget who wants to stay downtown. These are not resort-quality casitas/rooms - but they aren't just falling apart either! The room, sheets, towels, shower, kitchen, etc. were all clean. The little house is older and has not been renovated in the last couple of decades, but everything worked.
Here's the important part - We were given an incredible deal, and we were told exactly what to expect by Jody over the phone while reserving the room. The floors creak, the windows don't open, the knobs in the shower are loose - however - we slept comfortably, the neighborhood was quiet and a stone's throw away from the plaza, and the whole experience was just great!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Catherine S

Reviewed 26 May 2013

After reading some of the great reviews on TA, we selected Casa del Toro. We stayed in the unit at 323 McKenzie. What a disaster! While the place is advertised as a B&B, we got no breakfast. The shower was terrible; it was a modification to an existing tub, and we could not stand under the shower head. The bathroom was very cramped with no counter at all. The door from the kitchen into the office was sprung, so we could not lock it. This place was a dump and I would NOT recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rosie1727
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I stayed in one of the units on McKenzie Street. The bathroom ceiling has mold. The kitchen sink drain pipe came loose and spilled water over the floor (manangement fixed this when I called). Overall cleanliness was suspect. There was no maid service during my 3-day stay. Location of this property is great; walking distance to the Plaza. But pay a little more someplace else to experience a better Santa Fe experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I somehow found Casa del Toro while driving south from Durango, CO with intermittent cell phone service. Drove up in the dark and was a little unsure of everything. Traveling with my son and needed two beds, not just a double room. Jody was great on the phone and left keys in an envelope for our late arrival. Our Casa was great. Not fancy as other reviewers have noted, but clean and comfortable. In the morning we stopped in the office for coffee and advice from Jody, then walked the short 3 blocks to the main square. This place is a gem, perfect location, and I can't wait to visit again.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank gottagoME
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed in one of the casitas as a last resort, as everything else was booked due to a festival in Albuquerque. I am a fan of funky, but this place is simply run down. There was a garden area devoid of flowers and filled with weeds. The outdoor furniture was filthy. The walls inside need a good scrubbing and painting. The chinking betwen the tiles in the bathroom falls out when you shower. The pillows had no pillow liner. There were not enough lights and those that were there were cheap plastic WalMart specials. None of the windows opened, so for fresh air the air conditioning was the only choice. It was really the grossest place I have stayed in a long time - very disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CBGrace
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed here two years ago and thought that this place was wonderful. How things have changed. I am a woman staying alone in an upstairs studio and do not feel safe. The door is flimsy and the lock does not catch. I have two patio chairs blocking the stairs and a chair in front of the door inside. The TV does not stay on for more than ten minutes at a time. There was no hair dryer and I had to walk over to the office to get one. The manager could not find one and then asked when I would need it. I was standing there with dripping wet hair and said now would do. She had to go to another unit to get one. The main house, where they use to serve breakfast, looks like a junk shop. I asked when they stopped serving breakfast- she replied a couple of weeks ago. When I made my reservation, the web site indicated that they still served breakfast. When I got back from visiting galleries, there were two women from LA who had been a left the wrong key and could not get in their unit. What a disaster - I hope that I can leave and find another place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank lynnart
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I'm writing this review while my husband and I are still here to give you the clearest perspective we can. The pictures and reviews are very deceiving. The casita we are staying in is definitely not what is advertised. Everything is old and decrepit. The wooden floors are incredibly warped and creaky and honestly feel very unsafe in certain spots. There is an unlocked trap door in the "kitchen" that when opened is filled with trash. Supposedly we have a kitchen which consists of a mini fridge and a microwave and a random assortments of mismatched dishes and silverware. Due to the fact that we have a "kitchen" breakfast is NOT included. The bathroom faucet is loose. There is dry rot and mold in the corner of the bathroom by the bathtub. The toilet seat is loose. The satellite keeps going in and out for no reason. The tv remotes do not work properly and one must get up to turn the tv on and off or increase or decrease the volume. We can hear everything our neighbors do. Maybe the other units are better than this one, but this one is definitely not worth $118 per night. The only reason my husband and I gave it 2 stars is its proximity to the Plaza, which is very close and within walking distance. We will not be staying here again and will certainly not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple