“Great find at a great rate”

Silver Saddle Motel
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
“Great find at a great rate”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I usually apply 5/5s in a scale beginning with tents and ending with true palaces. But I've no trouble giving a 5/5 for this motel because I love what it is: a well-kept, well-run establishment that revels in its Route 66-style glory and is a true bargain. The rooms are quaint and updated, but there's no escaping that this motel was built long ago. And that's the beauty of it. For example, rather than thin walls it has noise-killing block. For this rate, I had expected to suffer. Instead, I'm thoroughly satisfied.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Azguy602

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My granddaughter and I were on our way home from Oklahoma to Utah and we stopped in Santa Fe for the evening. I booked this hotel based on the reviews and price. I was pleased with the service and the fact that I could pull my car right up to the door of our room to unload since a five year old is little help in that department. The room was comfortable and well stocked. The air conditioner worked very well. Yea! The desk clerk was very helpful in pointing us to a good place to eat and suggested we could find a map of the plaza in our room brochure. The only problem was that it had been torn out by a previous guest. Oh well thank goodness we have google maps nowadays. The breakfast was well done and it had great outdoor patio seating. Very charming! Overall this was a very good place to stay.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Leigh J
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Excellent hotel! Wonderful staff and the place was full of character. They had a beautiful patio garden area to eat breakfast. It was awesome experience. However, if you are looking for brand new this isn't the place for you. The place is a 1950's rustic cowboy motif surround with flowers. Super cute! Our room had a flat screen television, fridge, and microwave. Breakfast was great, especially for the price. Santa Fe can be expensive. Yet, It was just a wonderful experience overall and I plan on coming back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tessa22281
Arizona
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great little motel! The front desk gal was very nice and helpful. The room was excellent. We stayed two nights. Everything was super clean. We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again. The only issues are that the parking is tight--so take the smaller vehicle. The only other issue is that ants were coming in the bathroom window--I am a reasonable person and know that happens. Ants can get in anywhere, so I don't knock points off for that one. Just something to be aware of for some folks. Love this place and deem it to be my second favorite motel along Route 66.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Outdoorsy1
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Yes, this is a roadside motel off a busier street in Santa Fe - it is not the Ritz Carlton. Regardless, we greatly enjoyed our stay at the Silver Saddle! The grounds are kept up well. The room was smartly appointed - especially as we had a dog-friendly room, the floors were tile and walls were block to make for easy clean up, which meant our room didn't smell from every pet that had stayed here before (big bonus). The bathrooms were really nice!! Hand painted knobs on the cabinets, and a nice big tile shower. We liked the theme(s) to the rooms as well - we were in the Willie Nelson room and had some Willie art decorating the walls. The owner(s) were really nice as was anyone we interacted with from the front desk. Each morning they had a small breakfast available with some strudel, cereal, toast and milk/juice (plus some great conversation!!). We especially liked chatting w/ the proprietor - she was a sweetheart and regaled us with some funny stories and great tips for enjoying our time in Santa Fe.

Bottom line, Silver Saddle is clean, kept up well, pet friendly, and run by very nice people. It is also an exceptional value in what can be a pricey locale. For a traveler on a budget, look no further than Silver Saddle - unless you take their last room and I am coming to town - then you should stay somewhere else. :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Matt M
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My recent-college-graduate daughter and I stayed at the Silver Saddle for 4 nights over the Memorial Day weekend while driving cross-country to relocate her to Los Angeles. The Silver Saddle was built in the early 50s, and is the kind of motel my family stayed in when I was growing up and we went on a driving vacation. This place is a piece of living history, and is wonderful - if you appreciate this kind of lodging (if not, book at a chain and save everyone angst). The continental breakfast is adequate and just fine for a quick start to the day, and the coffee is good. The staff and owners all are friendly and helpful, and full of good advice, maps, and assistance for whatever you need or wherever you want to go. It is about a 10-15 minute drive to the Square, depending on traffic.

The Western-themed rooms vary in size, beds, and amenities, with some of the "standard" rooms having small 1950s shower stalls, while other rooms are larger, with more spacious bathrooms. (I had a look at some of the other rooms for nostalgic purposes; they are what I remembered from "back in the day.") So, ask when you are booking to find a room that will be to your liking. We stayed in #2, the Roy Rogers room, and loved it. It is one of the largest rooms (along with room #1), and had a kitchenette area that was quite handy. Originally I had some trepidation because it was so close to Cerillos, the main drag, but we had no issues with noise, traffic, and the like. At night the traffic diminishes. (The lower the room number, the closer to Cerillos.)

Our room was clean and well-maintained, with comfortable beds. It was spacious enough to allow me to work at the table at one end (by the kitchenette) while my daughter slept at the other end. Because we had been on the road for almost 2 weeks, the laundry service offered was perfect for our needs - $10 for a full load that was washed, dried, folded and returned to us on the same day.

All told, we had a wonderful stay at the Silver Saddle Motel, and definitely would return. If staying at a motel on old Route 66 is your thing, this is the place!

Room Tip: We liked the Roy Rogers room, #2 - it is a large, very comfortable room. The lower the room number...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SteveAndKaren11
Fresno, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Wonderful "historic" motel. Owners are on site and it is family run. Great place to really meet and talk with the people who live in Santa Fe. On the retail strip so bring your car. (saw some europeans cabbing it, which is doable but not ideal). Breakfast is okay and the setting is nice and conversation is plentiful and free flowing! Jackalope is next door and good for retail therapy and kids. Rooms are small to medium in size. Bigger rooms are close to the road but the noise is not bad when the door is closed and you have the AC running. Shower in room 1 is awesome. Less so in room 6. I would highly recommend staying here. They did everything to make our stay comfortable and you can't beat the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family