“disappointed.....only half open”

New Mexico Museum of Art
Ranked #20 of 273 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Owner description: Art lovers will delight in Santa Fe's many famous painters and photographers.
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Half the museum was shut down to view and they did not let us know about the cut in exhibits. Paying full price, I would call ahead and ask if it is fully open for viewing and if not then skip it for a later time, if you are visiting Santa Fe more than once. What we saw was good, but not exceptional. The beautiful courtyard art was the highlight. Easy to walk to in Santa Fe, it took us a little over 1 hour, easily, to see the part that was open. All the personnel were friendly and very open to talking about the art. Had many different art mediums and it does represent New Mexico art very well. Visiting Art Museums in different cities and states is such a pleasure for me, but I cannot feel anthing but disappointed in this visit to the New Mexicon musem.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

A wonderful place to visit with well done exhibits and lectures - easy location and rich programming

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Although this is a good overall museum experience, I would not put it at the top of my list. It gets better each year. There are also interesting special exhibits.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

My young lover, Fernando, pouted at the prospect of yet another boring, boring museum - PAHleeze. But the 6 young artists, featured in six alcoves on the first floor got him hooked, especially when one involved using an "app" to access part of the art piece. There was also a New Mexico art through time that will satisfy those more accustomed to mainstream work.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I can't recommend this enough; it was a great opportunity to learn more about the state, as well as learn about the evolution of art in New Mexico from the Clovis man to the present day. I can't wait to go back with visitors from out of town! We also were able to see some of their seldom seen possessions; each piece is presented with a thoughtful provenance, understandable to even the least academic museum-goer.