“Not a top choice for me”

Hyatt Place Santa Fe
Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Tucson, Arizona
“Not a top choice for me”
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I was not overly impressed with this hotel. Like another reviewer, I found the staff to be oddly detached. Not unfriendly, just not very interested. It didn't help that they just happened not to deduct the 50% off the 3rd night on my bill, despite the invoice itself stating explicitly that I had reserved under a special rate getting 50% off the 3rd night. They fixed it right away, but made no apologies.

While I agree with another reviewer that it's nice to have real glassware at breakfast, it would be even nicer if the orange juice weren't bitter. Or if there was anything at all interesting about the breakfast selections. Even some of the standard two-star concerns have something as imaginative as waffles.

On the upside, the rooms, like the lobby, have a modern feel, they spent a bit of money on Kohler products and that is appreciated. The mattress is high quality, the sheets clean, the coffee better than in most hotels. There is a nice desk with a decent office chair. The hotel is newish, so everything is in decent shape. The spaciousness pf the room would be especially good for a family.

But some aspects are just odd. For example, while it may seem modern, the fluorescent lights especially the sconces around the bed, had a stark white light. Also, a 42 inch flatscreen TV is great, but if over half the channels are analog and those images look worse than on the old cathode-ray TV's (not exaggerating), then what's the point? And why in such a nicely-furnished room is the lone closet wedged perpendicular up against the bathroom vanity, such that there is only an 18 inch opening? Seriously, the closet is 3-4 feet long, but the door can only be opened 18 inches. One wished for a rope and pulley system to bring one's hung clothing back and forth along the closet rod. What strange construction! And contrary to some other reviews here, the veracity of which I am highly skeptical of, the wireless is NOT particularly fast.

My room, on the first floor, was noisier than I would want in a 3-star hotel. Car doors slamming, horns beeping through the window fronting the parking lot, chatter in the hallway, and noise from the room next to me transmitting through the connecting door. (why in a 3-star hotel does one have a connecting door between rooms that compromises privacy and soundproofing? Ugh.)

Finally, as regards Santa Fe, the location is just terrible. Not only the worst kind of strip development on all sides of the hotel, but it is at the very end of the Cerrillos Road development. This is important because it means maybe twice the traffic stop delay on one's way to the historic Santa Fe Plaza as a hotel just 2 miles down Cerillos. I'm talking stoplights with double left turn lanes on the crossroad, lights that thus take forever to change. I ended up taking a detour down Rodeo and Zia, all the way to St. Francis and then into the Plaza from there, which lengthened the trip in, but at least it wasn't stop-go all the way down the ever-uglier Cerrillos Blvd.

As regards Santa Fe, there is absolutely no hint of Santa Fe about this hotel. You may as well be in Atlanta. In fact, I was there around the holidays and there was about as little holiday spirit there as one could imagine. I mean, Christmas muzak in the lobby and breakfast room?! I thought that music went out with eight-tracks.

In short, if you're getting the Hotwire $50/night rate, then this hotel may seem splendid. Otherwise, there are better options. Santa Fe is overpriced but it is also overbuilt.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank bfly1
hpsfmanager, Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Fe, responded to this review, 14 January 2011
Thank you very much for reviewing Hyatt Place Santa Fe. Please know that your feedback is vital to our efforts in improving our guests' experience. I apologize that you were not pleased with some of the physical aspects of the hotel's guest rooms, in particular the closet space and the connecting door. Please do understand that as a chain hotel, many of the aesthetic elements of the property are prescribed at the corporate level. As a brand, Hyatt Place has been extremely well-received by most travelers since its recent inception.

Your impression that the staff is detached and uninterested is of special concern to me, as we strive to provide excellence in service. Most of our guests find our staff to be engaging and friendly. Please be assured that I will use your feedback to reinforce guest interaction standards in our ongoing training efforts.

Finally, in response to your comments regarding our complimentary breakfast, I would like to point out that a full menu of made-to-order entrees is available in addition to the continental fare offered on the buffet. Many of our guests find this preferable to offering hot items on the buffet, as the food quality of our freshly prepared entrees is far superior.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments on our property.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
dallas
Reviewed 2 December 2010

We spent 3 nights at this place and we are very satisfied with our stay.

Pros:
1. The room was spotless, spacious, beautifully decorated and smartly designed.
2. On-site gym was very clean and well maintained.
3. The staffs were courteous and helpful.
4. Offers free and fast-speed WiFi, and complimentary shuttle bus service to the downtown (we didn’t have a chance to take the ride).
5. Reasonably priced.

Cons:
1. Not located in the downtown area, which is 10-minute drive away.

Hint: When I made reservation on its web site, the AAA rate was better than its “best available rate”.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tiger62z
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 November 2010

My two teenagers and I stayed at the Hyatt Place in Santa Fe on November 19th. We enjoyed the spacious room, with two great queen beds. The TV was awesome! 42 inch flatscreen! We watched Avatar on HBO in HD - I think all their stations were HD! What a treat at a value-priced hotel! I loved the fact that there were no paper or plastic cups in the room, just real glasses and mugs. The small refrigerator worked great, as did the cool, one cup coffee maker in the room. I liked the set up of the sink, dressing space and separate shower/toilet room. My son slept on the pull out couch and it was good (of course, not as comfortable as the queen beds, but we didn't expect any different). The folks who worked there were very nice. The breakfast the next morning was delicious. You could spend extra $ for hot breakfast items, but that wasn't necessary. We had plenty of food to choose from, big toaster oven for bread - all served on real plates. Loved the no plastic at this hotel! The check out kiosk worked quickly for us as we left the next morning. The workout room had top of the line equipment, with TV's on the treadmills and ellipticals. I will definitely stay at another Hyatt Place in the future.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank lwspilates
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Just back from a four-night stay here. We liked the hotel on the whole - the room was spacious and well-designed - but we didn't find the staff very friendly or helpful - just not particularly warm. Breakfast was fine, reasonable selection but the staff were slow at re-filling - two out of the four mornings there were no spoons. They also were very speedy at clearing breakfast away, even before the time it was supposed to be over. We found our room quite noisy as it faced the garage. So, ok but not great, and we wouldn't be in a rush to return.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Hamilton Square, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Stopped at the recently opened Hyatt Place (minimalist for a Hyatt) in Santa Fe with two dear friends. The place is spotless, with a sparse but lovely open lobby,and has excellent rooms with comfortable furnishings. As Hyatt's go, this is a pleasant change from the "elegance" routine one expects (along with price). I describe it as a minimalist Hyatt and found it delightful. We added an evening to our stay we so enjoyed Santa Fe and our accommodations there. The front desk staff are wonderful. Kudos to Kamy et al. This gal knows where to go to eat, let me tell you, and is without a doubt the most hospitable representative of a chain in which I have ever stayed. The Place offers a nice wine bar and for the exercise buff an indoor pool and exercise equipment. The only drawback i found is the location of the sign introducing the buildingl, as it sits back from the road a bit and in my opinion is not easily seen. But, having said that, once you find it (we drove by twice), it's a breeze. By all means, go, you won't be sorry and say hello to Kamy!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank jtc21
CA
Reviewed 16 November 2010

The Hyatt Place Santa Fe is a smart, stylish, clean hotel with all the amenities a weary traveler could want. It has a small coin-operated laundry, free parking, free internet access, and a complimentary continental breakfast is served each morning. The rooms have a separate sitting area with a large TV and comfortable seating. The L-shaped sofa can be converted to a bed if necessary. The bed was amazingly cozy!!

The Hyatt Place Santa Fe is a bit out of town, but it has convenient access to the highways - which was perfect for us. The staff was friendly and helpful. I had a bit of a problem with Internet access, but the problem was resolved immediately.

We are loyal Hyatt enthusiasts, but this was our first stay at a Hyatt Place. Hyatt Place Santa Fe made believers of us -- and led us to seek out other Hyatt Places on our road trip. The room configuration is similar in all properties - and after a long day of driving/sightseeing it is sure nice to have a familiar-feeling little living room to sit back and relax in before going to bed.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Nice, large rooms.
Nice staff.
Decent Internet, including cat-5 jacks in rooms and wifi

Odd thing:
The headboards have some bad chemical smell leeching into the pillows, etc. I hope it was just the varnish and not something nastier.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple