“Nice, clean, and comfortable hotel”

Hyatt Place Santa Fe
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 26 January 2011

We stayed at this Hyatt Place over MLK weekend. We chose this hotel because it was new, a good rate, and it was a suite. The main purpose of our trip was to ski. This hotel is a little far from the mountain (on the south side of town), but we loved the "free" breakfasts, indoor pool and hot tub. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The rooms were very accomodating with two queen beds, flat screen TV, sectional couch (with sofa bed) and refrigerator. I wished there was a small microwave for popcorn. Overall this hotel was clean and well run. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank GTECfamily

Reviewed 18 January 2011

My husband and I traveled to Santa Fe to visit with friends and attend a wedding. We all stayed at this hotel and had a nice experience. It's clean (rooms and public areas), modern-looking (slightly southwestern, but mainly it just didn't look like every other chain-hotel), and has many amenities (a decent workout room with weights, 2 treadmills, an elliptical and bike, a pool & jacuzzi, a restaurant with salads/sandwiches/etc. and a bar, and a nice complementary breakfast with bagels/pastries, yogurt, fruit, etc.)
Overall we had a very pleasant stay, and good service as well.

The only negative was that the staff were a little misleading over the shuttle bus that they provide. We were told on the first day that the bus was available for certain hours- like 7am-3pm and then 5-10pm. We tried to use the bus at around 2:45pm one day (and called the frontdesk earlier to ask if we could do this), but we were told that the guy was on break and couldn't help us out. We were a little frustrated, since the hours were supposedly so clear, and the staff did not really help us out at all but merely stood behind the break excuse.

Otherwise, we had a great time.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank laurenpk
Reviewed 16 January 2011

hotel staff described their own management as "obstinate". Only one person on staff was nice. The rest seemed bothered by the guests, especially the morning manager. He was rude to my wife when she accidently had a spill. Nice hotel but staff, except one, is not nice. They made me feel as if we were a burden to them and I had to bite my tongue to keep my wife happy, otherwise I would have given them a good tongue lashing.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank doc050768
hpsfmanager, Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2011

Thank you for posting your review of Hyatt Place Santa Fe. I apologize that you felt our staff was unfriendly or rude. We pride ourselves on excellence in service, and based on your remarks we did not meet this goal during your stay.

Please know that feedback such as yours allows us to continually improve the Hyatt Place experience for all of our guests. I hope that you will allow us a second chance to serve you again in the future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Reviewed 14 January 2011

We had a great stay, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The entire property was clean and well kept. The room was comfortable, bed was awesome and we enjoyed watching the flat screen tv as we sat on the modern style L shaped couch. We will definitely return every time we are in Santa Fe! :)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank MrsL66
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I decided to stay at Hyatt Place on our trip to Santa Fe this past October because the hotel is new and the rate was good. The HP is a modern design and the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The high speed internet worked well for me. We were located on the back side of the hotel so we had a quiet room. The continental breakfast was adequate for us.

A drawback was the location. We were ten minutes to the Plaza which was expected and not a problem, However, turning into the entry from the north is difficult. We had to turn into the station south of the entry and then go north on Cerrrillos to get there, which was very inconvenient. Still it was a good place for us to stay on this trip to Santa Fe.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Razorfish
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We did enjoy our stay on December 24, 2010. The rooms are large with a huge sectional sofa. One of my chief complaints about most hotels is a lack of comfortable seating. But this was far different--large sofa. Comfy bed and an adequate breakfast. Choices were limited, but you could order and pay for a full breakfast. Thanks Hyatt Place! We love Santa Fe.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mablumberg
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I was not overly impressed with this hotel. Like another reviewer, I found the staff to be oddly detached. Not unfriendly, just not very interested. It didn't help that they just happened not to deduct the 50% off the 3rd night on my bill, despite the invoice itself stating explicitly that I had reserved under a special rate getting 50% off the 3rd night. They fixed it right away, but made no apologies.

While I agree with another reviewer that it's nice to have real glassware at breakfast, it would be even nicer if the orange juice weren't bitter. Or if there was anything at all interesting about the breakfast selections. Even some of the standard two-star concerns have something as imaginative as waffles.

On the upside, the rooms, like the lobby, have a modern feel, they spent a bit of money on Kohler products and that is appreciated. The mattress is high quality, the sheets clean, the coffee better than in most hotels. There is a nice desk with a decent office chair. The hotel is newish, so everything is in decent shape. The spaciousness pf the room would be especially good for a family.

But some aspects are just odd. For example, while it may seem modern, the fluorescent lights especially the sconces around the bed, had a stark white light. Also, a 42 inch flatscreen TV is great, but if over half the channels are analog and those images look worse than on the old cathode-ray TV's (not exaggerating), then what's the point? And why in such a nicely-furnished room is the lone closet wedged perpendicular up against the bathroom vanity, such that there is only an 18 inch opening? Seriously, the closet is 3-4 feet long, but the door can only be opened 18 inches. One wished for a rope and pulley system to bring one's hung clothing back and forth along the closet rod. What strange construction! And contrary to some other reviews here, the veracity of which I am highly skeptical of, the wireless is NOT particularly fast.

My room, on the first floor, was noisier than I would want in a 3-star hotel. Car doors slamming, horns beeping through the window fronting the parking lot, chatter in the hallway, and noise from the room next to me transmitting through the connecting door. (why in a 3-star hotel does one have a connecting door between rooms that compromises privacy and soundproofing? Ugh.)

Finally, as regards Santa Fe, the location is just terrible. Not only the worst kind of strip development on all sides of the hotel, but it is at the very end of the Cerrillos Road development. This is important because it means maybe twice the traffic stop delay on one's way to the historic Santa Fe Plaza as a hotel just 2 miles down Cerillos. I'm talking stoplights with double left turn lanes on the crossroad, lights that thus take forever to change. I ended up taking a detour down Rodeo and Zia, all the way to St. Francis and then into the Plaza from there, which lengthened the trip in, but at least it wasn't stop-go all the way down the ever-uglier Cerrillos Blvd.

As regards Santa Fe, there is absolutely no hint of Santa Fe about this hotel. You may as well be in Atlanta. In fact, I was there around the holidays and there was about as little holiday spirit there as one could imagine. I mean, Christmas muzak in the lobby and breakfast room?! I thought that music went out with eight-tracks.

In short, if you're getting the Hotwire $50/night rate, then this hotel may seem splendid. Otherwise, there are better options. Santa Fe is overpriced but it is also overbuilt.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank bfly1
hpsfmanager, Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2011

Thank you very much for reviewing Hyatt Place Santa Fe. Please know that your feedback is vital to our efforts in improving our guests' experience. I apologize that you were not pleased with some of the physical aspects of the hotel's guest rooms, in particular the closet space and the connecting door. Please do understand that as a chain hotel, many of the aesthetic elements of the property are prescribed at the corporate level. As a brand, Hyatt Place has been extremely well-received by most travelers since its recent inception.

Your impression that the staff is detached and uninterested is of special concern to me, as we strive to provide excellence in service. Most of our guests find our staff to be engaging and friendly. Please be assured that I will use your feedback to reinforce guest interaction standards in our ongoing training efforts.

Finally, in response to your comments regarding our complimentary breakfast, I would like to point out that a full menu of made-to-order entrees is available in addition to the continental fare offered on the buffet. Many of our guests find this preferable to offering hot items on the buffet, as the food quality of our freshly prepared entrees is far superior.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments on our property.