“Not as bad as some reviews hold”

Motel 6 Santa Fe Plaza-Downtown
Ranked #41 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have stayed at Motel 6 near the Plaza several times in the last 20 years. You get what you pay for. I have found the rooms to be consistently clean, but worn around the edges. But when I am in Santa Fe I apply this bit of wisdom: sleep cheap, eat well. I do recommend bringing a few clothes pins to crimp the window treatments, as the air conditioner blows up into the drapes otherwise. It is an older property. The owners are making progressive improvements, but there are few frills. The great advantage of this hotel is its proximity to the Plaza and all that is historical Santa Fe.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Edward M
Jay P, General Manager at Motel 6 Santa Fe Plaza-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Dear Guest, Motel 6 Downtown staff and I would like to Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review for our location. I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations. We value our customer reviews to make our hotel the best for our guests. Also we work hard to do what we can and will certainly address your issues for a better future stay. We hope to see you soon. Thank you for choosing Motel 6 Downtown.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Costing more than your average Motel 6, I thought this one might be a bit more "upscale" than the others, which I'm totally fine with, for what they market and provide (bare bones overnight accommodations). When we checked in, the room wouldn't even open, and even the staff couldn't get the door open. So they moved us to another room that was just fine. Overall it only slightly nicer than the average Motel 6 rooms. This hotel was within reasonable walking distance (about 1 miles) of the history downtown area of Santa Fe, so that's a plus. For the location, I suppose it wasn't a bad deal if you're looking to save a few $ on your stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LarryE63

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I don't have a poor opinion of Motel 6; it is a niche and does what it does fairly well -- provide low cost, bare bones but OK accommodations for the budget traveler. I had had this property recommended to me as the best motel for the budget price close to the Plaza. I was underwhelmed when I pulled in and saw an old and run-down small building. I had reserved months in advance due to mobility issues but when I checked in the girl at the desk not only didn't honor my reservation requests, she offered me no solution. She didn't apologize. She just stated, with no interest in customer service, that the only rooms fitting my criteria were king bed rooms. I said fine, I'll take one; I'll pay for the upgrade. She then said they weren't available. I asked how I would manage to get up the stairs and she replied she didn't know. Period. Well... once I did get up the old rusted staircase to the room it was an odd mix of "try to fix up" and run down. Marble sink, good wifi, worn bedcover, old furniture. It was fine but uninviting. I made it my business to be out of the room as much as possible. Even for the rate I don't think I'd stay again; it was not a good experience.

Room Tip: Call ahead to confirm any room requests.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank NewportMania

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

$150 for a room i was afraid i would catch lice or bed bugs! it was so dirty!!!! and the smell of stale smoke was beyond any dive bar i've ever hung out in! also, people were screaming, cussing and fighting out side our window with the management never doing anything!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank welovewkndtrips

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very big bed and comfy. Hot shower and good free wifi service. Stayed on the ground floor right by the staircase to the 1st floor so was a bit noisy. TVs definitely needs updating. Very close to Sante Fe Plaza and main road to airport.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Jay P, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 Santa Fe Plaza-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Reviewed 28 June 2014

When I was at Santa Fe in mid-May, there were so many events going on that I was only able to snatch up a vacant room at this Motel 6 for my first night in town. So I took advantage of the short walk to the plaza to eat and drink, and when I took at taxi back late at night, it was only $6.
The room I had upstairs had nicer furniture than the other Motel 6's I've stayed at, and it was very clean like the other times I've stayed there. Plenty good for the convenience of staying so close to the plaza.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tex s

Dear Guest, Motel 6 Downtown staff and I would like to Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review for our location. We value our customer reviews to make our hotel the best for our guests. Also we work hard to do what we can and will certainly address your issues for a better future stay. We hope to see you soon. Thank you for choosing Motel 6 Downtown. Sincerely Cynthia Mendoza

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

it's my 2nd stay in a motel 6. the first one was worse. that's the positive thing I can say on this motel. the girl at the reception was bored and not helpful, the room was dirty, no towels and when I got them they were not clean, the room is so unclean...you cannot open the curtains so dirty they are. but the bed was ok and clean. it is definitely not worth the few bucks you save. never again in a motel 6

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank ElisadeA
Jay P, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 Santa Fe Plaza-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014