“Hidden courtyard is a plus”

Palace Restaurant and Saloon
Ranked #232 of 583 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Grant and Sandoval
Transit: One block southwest of the City of Santa Fe Downtown Transit Center.
Description: The legendary Palace Restaurant and Saloon is destination for visitors to Santa Fe and a local hotspot. The welcoming decor, where traditional Victorian style merges with the Spanish Colonial aesthetic of New Mexico in the wild west of the 1850s provides a distinct atmosphere for elegant dining and relaxed bar fare.The saloon, with its red, flocked velvet wallpaper recalls the era of La Doña Tules and the gambling halls and saloons of yesteryear. The dining room combines classic elegance–chandeliers, historic photographs, tasteful art to create a comfortable, lively space for an unforgettable meal.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stopped for lunch on a whim after visiting the Georgia O'Keefe museum on a Friday afternoon. The walk through the bar / restaurant area definitely looked like the bordello it used to be with the dark, fancy red wallpaper. It looked very nice though. We asked to be seated outside and both ordered the fish and chips. They were just perfect I thought, crunchy on the outside, sweet and juicy on the inside. Fries are homemade and were tasty too. Reasonable price for lunch and I really loved sitting outside with the music and flowers etc. Very nice.

2  Thank TucsonKaren

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My pasta primavera consisted of heirloom tomatoes, under very cooked carrots and very undercooked brocolli over overcooked pasta. The sauce that brought this all together was acceptable. All this for $16. Since the ingredients cost about 50 cents my expectation is that the cooking will be better than what I can do. Au contraire.

This restaurant has been around for decades and I've always wanted to try it. Never again.

1  Thank Chrisderanchos
Reviewed 9 April 2014

the Palace Restaurant and Saloon is aptly named. The bar area has flocked red velvet wallpaper reminiscent of a saloon. The food is quite good and reasonably priced; the service was adequate. Location is one block from the Georgia O'Keefe Museum and the New Mexico Art Museum, and also a block from the square.

1  Thank viageira
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Based on the mixed reviews I dined here with some minor trepidation which turned out to unwarranted. I loved the genteel atmosphere with the circular booths and gas fireplaces. I ate from the tapas menu and the three dishes were artfully prepared and wonderfully presented. I had the polenta fries, the grilled asparagus, and the scallop. I was especially enamored of the scallop dish--it looked so good I did not want to eat it. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Italian tapas were as good as the Spanish tapas at La Boca but there were close to that level.The kitchen is obviously striving to be more than the run of the mill "upscale" choice.

I do have two complaints that prevent me from giving it five stars. First, as others have noted there is a saloon in the other part of the establishment and it was noisy. It needs to be emphasized that this hubbub rose above background noise to a level that at times I found distracting. This is not the place for a quiet romantic canoodle or a serious business dinner, unless one is hoping the hubbub masks devious plans for corporate takeovers or adulterous affairs.

Second, despite the taste of the food I do question the restaurant as a value proposition. Despite having thee tapas I certainly could have used a fourth or even a fifth. The presentation of the scallop was awesome but is was priced in double digits...for one scallop. The asparagus was six stalks. So one should be clear on what one is buying here: it isn't bulk but quality ingredients and artful presentation. The difficulty is that the somewhat dim lighting and the noise from across the hall make a less than idea atmosphere to appreciate these positive attributes.

2  Thank NorthernNMCritic
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We didn't plan to stop here, but we ran into it and decided to grab lunch. Very interesting decor. Very dark and red- like an old Chicago steakhouse.
I had a green chili Smashburger and my wife enjoyed a great pasta dish.
Very high recommendation.