“Front desk person heather was extremely rude.”

Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
Ranked #51 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My husband and I made reservations a week before our trip to stay two nights. We reserved a king size bed, non smoking, dog friendly room. We showed up at 10:00 pm. When we went to check in, Heather at the front desk told us someone decided to extend their stay and so they had no pet friendly room. I told her we drove two hours with our dog what were we supposed to do, we were told we could stay but our dog couldn't. We asked for a manager she said there wasn't one, they couldn't do anything for us. A new staff member Chris called the manager and they found us a smoking room with two full size beds. The bed was small for my husband and I. This morning went to talk to the manager all he had to say was they had found us a room and I had got a good rate because of my prayers card. He only had excuses. Heather needs customer training and the manager needs to be responsible for his employees making mistakes.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank SRSHPH

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Do not bother to stop at this hotel. Management is horrible, customer service is lousy and unprofessional. No one is willing to help you out and the housekeeping personnel steal. The rooms are old and smell like cigarettes and the sheets do not seem to be clean nor fresh. Really stay away from this place

Room Tip: No good rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jenna S
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed at the Cities of Gold hotel for 4 amazing evenings. The peaceful room, great service, small casino in-house, and terrific on-site restaurant were all a plus for our visit. We will recommend this hotel to our friends!!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank dfpiatt
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We recently spent three nights here while on a motorcycle trip. We were a little concerned after reading some of the reviews posted but I am happy to report we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is older but our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff was so nice and helpful. The restaurant was absolutely delicious and moderately priced. The bar is new and bartender very hospitable. The location is great to ride out and tour the area. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank wezoom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Just returned from Santa Fe where we stayed at the Cities of Gold casino/hotel. We used to stay there when it first opened but then moved on to Buffalo Thunder Hilton. Since we hadn't stayed here in years, we decided to try it again. Our memories of it where good. Beautiful inside corridors and nice rooms. Reality is that the corridors are still nice but the rooms don't seem to have changed since it was first opened. The TVs are of the old bulky variety and the bathroom towels are so skimpy. We weren't impressed with the maid service. Every day we had to ask for enough towels for our family of 3. Two out of 3 days the key didn't work so we had it have them rekeyed. Sorry, but what is more annoying than lugging all your luggage down to the room assigned to you - to find that the key doesn't work? And again the next day. It makes you feel like an outcast. When I complained nicely, the front staff personnel took my key, rekeyed it and returned it without even an apology. What could it have hurt to be a bit extra nice? When we checked in, two of the 'big wigs' were in the lobby talking about the personnel and customers right in front of us. Finally, they got a clue and moved off where we couldn't hear them anymore. I don't want to hear what you have to say against your employees, please! We ate only once at the restaurant for breakfast and it was tasty. The waitress who took care of the whole dining room was very polite and busy except that she kept yelling at the cook through the kitchen doors because he couldn't hear (this is what she said loud enough for us to hear). We won't be staying there again. I can't believe they were charging $89 and $105 for the rooms. Those rooms were dinky and way over priced. I happened to be in the lobby at the time a front desk personnel was talking to a customer about the complaints he had with the room prices. The employee was nice and polite to him but why do the rest of the customers have to listen to every problem they have. The customer wasn't even loud - we could only hear the employee. Anyway, we did enjoy our trip to Santa Fe and the hotel did not really distract from it but travelers need to be aware that this hotel needs some serious updates to include flat screens (and I don't even watch TV)! As much money as the casino is making, they should take some of the profits and buy new carpeting and get new pictures in the rooms. Those looked like the same pictures they had when the hotel was first built. Take my advice and stay at Buffalo Thunder at the HIlton!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed here again the 4th of March..Room very nice and clean. Quite affordable and would stay there again if we are out that way. The rooms aren't super large but very but served our needs. Easy to get to and close to a casino. The casino was quite smokey so we didn't spend much time there. The beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Marge22
Reviewed 25 February 2013

For 10 plus years I had been stopping at the Cities of Gold Hotel and Casino at least twice a year. In November of 2012. I booked in for several days. The room was absolutely bad! Smelled and had small bugs. The Carpet was horrible. After a couple of Days of losing money at the Casino, I moved on. Because of the ideal location of the facility, I booked in again In December 2012 to be mistreated by the management and now there is a credit charge dispute over one night stay.The slots at the Casino were insulting by never giving a fair return. Well last week I decided to give the facility one more try. The Casino Slots have not improved and the Hotel management is still rude and insulting! I've given up! Never again.

• Stayed: February 2013