“Rustic Sanctuary at Bishop's Lodge”

Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #44 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I enjoyed a recent business trip to Bishop's Lodge in Santa Fe for a 2 day conference. The breakfast offered was 'to order' as well as a variety of fresh fruit, cottage cheese, cereal, shredded hash browns, two kinds of sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, and waffles. The only thing is that the kitchen staff who replenished the food was rude by stepping in front of guests as they were serving themselves. Usually staff wait until the guests step away from the food and then replenish the food trays, so that's why this rating was a 4 and not a 5. On the other hand, the waiters, waitresses and bar staff went above and beyond duty to provide a pleasant experience. In particular, I enjoyed chatting with the front desk staff, one from Florence Italy (Fabio) and another doing his internship there. Both of these gentlemen were very helpful and attentive and the conversation was interesting! The rooms were unexpectedly spacious for small cabin-type or cottage-type rooms and they were clean. The bathrooms were large, and the patio off of the room was very private even when you could hear people walking on a path nearby. I really felt like it was a little rustic sanctuary hidden away in a stretch of land that made good use of hills, and natural creeks. Several trails were well-marked and not very long at all - maybe 45 minutes at most to walk. The little cottage-cabins were constructed in very unique Santa Fe adobe style architecture and again as you walked along the trails around the property, you get the feeling it is very private and restful. It's also a reasonable price for the attractions available - spa, horse-back riding, croquet, trails, conference rooms. It deserves a rating of 5, but a little more training for the kitchen staff on waiting for guests to step away from the trays of food before replenishing it would be important for customer service.

Room Tip: Choose a room in an upper level for view, and a room on lower level for private patio.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Algorithm B
BishopsLodge, marketing/public relations at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you took advantage of our trails and other amenities during your stay. We are pleased to hear that you had positive interactions and conversation with our front desk as well. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I traveled with two daughters (ages 14 and 7). This facility made it easy to accommodate all of our wants/needs. The grounds are very well maintained; the staff is very friendly and helpful; the restaurant is good - a little pricey, not many vegetarian options, but the kids' menu is a great value.
Pool/hot tub were clean, well maintained, staffed, and open 24 hours.
The trail rides are a must do!! If you don't want to ride, the restaurant will give you a bag of carrots/snacks for the horses, and you can feed them at any time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jill G

Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our 24 hour pool. We take great pride in being a family resort. We hope you take advantage of our lawn games, hiking trails, and much more during your next stay.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was my first visit to Santa Fe, NM so I was very excited. Went for a meeting at this beautiful resort. After reviewing their website I knew it would be nice but everything was so well done, from the staff to the food and beautiful rooms, I was just very impressed. The things I liked was how hospitable every one was, how friendly the restaurant staff was, the stunning grounds and beautiful scenery, the quaint town with the shopping and dining, the meeting staff, and the room with my own private fireplace. Lovely.

I took many pictures which I attached a few. One of the other things I noticed was a family celebrating an 80th birthday. This group was in house the same time as ours, and the staff treated that family so special. That was really nice to see. I highly recommend this resort for meetings and special events, family vacations, weekend getaways and couples escapes. I never had the chance to horseback ride up on the mesa but I'll try to go back and do that some time in the future. I would certainly return here

Room Tip: Book a room with a kiva fireplace; it's worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Roadlesstvled

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and loved your room. We hope next time you will take advantage of our spa, hiking trails, and much more.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed with my 9 year old daughter for a night and did a morning horse ride, so this review is for the hotel, the dinner and the ride!

Firstly, beautiful hotel. The grounds are immaculate, and the building is stunning. At sunset the restaurant is lit up and it is very atmospheric. We swam in the large, warm pool, and while we didn't use any of the other facilities, they appeared well maintained.

Dinner was OK. The food was good, but the service was a little frosty and formal. Again, the setting on the balcony was beautiful.

Finally, we loved the horse ride. The trail was very technical, so the ride was slow with only very occasional opportunities to trot, but the horses were healthy and well behaved, and the view at the top of the trail was stunning. Experienced riders may become a bit frustrated by the speed of there ride, but we enjoyed it.

Overall, highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank StanandLiz
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The view and setting at Bishops Lodge is unique to any other hotel/resort in Santa Fe. This property has been a significant piece of New Mexico history and it continues to impress. The rooms are rustic and mine was definitely over sized... as was the bathroom as well. I LOVE the custom blended lotion and shampoo! The view from our private patio was the best on the resort, high up on the hill. My wife and I enjoyed our early morning coffee out there.... peaceful. They have a great restaurant with authentic Southwest flavors..... try the Buffalo Ribs. My wife and I walked all over the place on the trails that surround the property. We also rode the horses.... yes they have their own cowboys and stables. Even the novice rider will enjoy this trek through the beautiful slopes and arroyos. The pool looked great but we didn't use it.... they have a spa too. The staff were very friendly and took care of our every need. I highly recommend this resort to any family or corporate group. Truly a winner!

Room Tip: If they can do it, ask for a room up on the hill.... the views are awesome!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Apilgrim4u
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Took my kids up to the lovely Bishop's Lodge for a stay-cation. The room we stayed in was nice, big, and clean. The pool was clean and the morning yoga was the perfect way to start the day. We were unable to schedule a horseback ride and it was too pricy for my liking anyway. We had dinner in the restaurant and the new menu was really nice. The next morning's breakfast could have used a little work as they weren't busy at all and the whole staff seemed frazzled. The food was still excellent though. I've gone to Bishop's Lodge many times and I will be going again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 577Sara
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My family did a lot of research as to where to go on vacation. We fell upon Bishops Lodge Villas as a great option - our family is very active and independent, so having a semi private pool, spa/gym and daily fitness classes really sounded great. We were all really excited for this trip!

It was really a shame when we pulled up to our villa, and found the shared villas pool under construction, completely dug up, with an outhouse next to it. I personally was very invested in having a semi-private pool nearby and when I asked the staff, they told me that it had been closed since January and I would be "just as happy" at the other pool..... Which is not the case and not an appropriate response to a guest -- extremely rude.

The "other pool" is the main hotels pool... and it is a very long walk up/down steep hills or driving distance. Sorry but with one car, this is extremely inconvenient. We paid more to stay in a villa to have a pool nearby --- failing to alert us of this prior to our booking and arrival is extremely unprofessional and possibly fraudulent.

Not to mention their "fitness center" is probably the worst fitness center I have ever seen (and I have done a lot of traveling). Their weight machines were unusable because the hooks required to hook in the handlebars were nowhere to be found. Their dumbbells were inconstant - it looked like they perhaps bought them at a yard sale down the street from 4 separate houses. They have a bike or two, a treadmill, and an elliptical... all in a tiny room. Not what I call a "fitness center". Thank god Santa Fe has ample activities to do outside, or I would have been even more annoyed.

The one thing I would say exceeded my expectations were the Bishops Lodge stables. I have two horses at home and was really looking forward to going on a few trail rides. The horses and staff were amazing, and it was the highlight of my trip.

My advice to the hotel would be - invest in your service; people that are coming to a "resort and spa" are not going to be happy when half the amenities are broken or nonexistent. Reputation and word of mouth are important to the success of a business, especially a business focusing on hospitality. Don't be another statistic of resorts that shut down due to redlining.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family