“Between old world and just old”

Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #44 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 27 August 2006

Stayed at Bishops lodge three nights. The place is friendly but not well run or maintained. At check-in we learned we would be on the third floor (better views and quiet) but there are no elevators. So we asked for a bellman. After waiting 6-7 minutes with no one in sight, so we dragged our suitcase in ourselves. We discovered dozens of beetles (not the singing type) in our room and we were moved (without the offer of help) to another room with worse view. Screen doors didn't close, hot tub broken, no towels at the pool, disinterested front desk. Restaurant was a little smelly and the food inconsistent. Liked dinner, great waiter, but other meals were not good. Putting it all together, I would not stay there again. The place seemed to be living off families that want younger kids in daycare activities while parents go off by themselves. Will note very easy access to Santa Fe downtown stores, galleries and restaurants. Perhaps the saving grace for the place.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GoIndians

Reviewed 18 August 2006

Yes, it was a lovely property. Yes, it is a fantastic location. However, I expected much better service. The only service that impressed me was the shuttle service and the maid service (mostly because of the chocolate at bedtime). Even though they charge a resort fee, almost every worthwhile activity was very expensive. I understand that this is not the place for the poor and penniless, but I expected more for the money. If you have unlimited funds to take advantge of all they offer, it will be a great vacation. Otherwise, save your money and do a little planning for all the fun activities you can do cheaper elsewhere in the city.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank CWA
Reviewed 16 August 2006

We stayed here because my husband used to stay at this hotel as a child more than 25 years ago and has very fond memories of riding horses and hiking there. We arrived with our two girls, ages 6 and 4, on a Monday afternoon at 3:30pm. Our Ridge Room was not ready quite yet, so we drove around the property for 30 minutes and quickly realized that it was too spread out for our kids to hike it everywhere.

Room was nicely appointed, but not luxurious. View was great from the balcony. Mini bar was not stocked well, and was never restocked in our three days there. Our main complaint was how horrendous the beds were--they caved in in the middle, and we are not large people. They are also very frugal with water supply, so the shower just misted at us--not something we really appreciated for $300/night.

The service at the restaurant was spotty at best, food was served lukewarm and overcooked, and the great Bishop's Lodge coloring books that several staff members made a point to tell us about were all gone.

The pool was clean and very cold. I had a spa treatment and it was good. Spa itself was lovely and very tranquil. The best part of the outdoor activities was the stables. Very nice folks there, lots and lots of horses. They have pony rides every morning except Mondays for kids under 8--they have to be 8 to trail ride, even with parents. Those rides are led by staff members, two rides around the arena, for $10. each. They do have many different options for trail rides and dinners, and I'm sure those would be great.

Being in the new rooms at the top of the property was bad for room service, since they had to drive it to us each time. Typical bill, lukewarm and soggy food, and 45 minutes to get at the earliest.

Unfortunately, because of the lack of service and general frustrations with our comfort in the rooms, we won't be going back anytime soon. We are frequent travelers, mostly to Starwood properties, Four Seasons, and Ritzs, so we expect good service and comfortable beds. Make no mistake--this is a ranch, not a hotel where you will be waited on, pampered, and greeted warmly wherever you go.

When we checked out, the nice woman at the front desk made several changes to our bill after I told her about the room service, beds, and lack of mini bar refreshments. She did write down our room number to have the beds replaced. Even with the adjustments, it was an overpriced and uncomfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank texasmomof2
Reviewed 4 August 2006

Well where do I begin, So me and my son where doing a road trip for 3 weeks in New Mexico, Arizona, Las Vegas, and California. Well our travel agent booked us at the bishops lodge, and we checked out their website and everything looked great!! Big mistake, It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, FIrst of all we got the oldest room that they had, secondly we needed 2 beds and the besds were twins and my son in 6'3, so he fell out, and the concierge was a mess when she waqs helping us she answerd the phone 3 times and helped other people!! All I can say is that I never want to go back to the BL or New Mexico at that matter! Horrible experince, Do not recomend!

Stayed: July 2006
9  Thank magichat101
A TripAdvisor Member
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 11 July 2006

We held a group meeting at Bishop's Lodge recently and were very pleased with the accomodations and the service. The group members loved the location and enjoyed all our meals there. The meeting room and all related arrangements were great. The meeting planners were very helpful and accomodating. It is a very lovely and quiet place to stay, but yet only a few minutes from the center of Santa Fe.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 July 2006

Ok, I have to admit that I did not stay at the lodge. I stayed elsewhere in town because I read so many awful reviews and did not want to take a chance when there are so many fantastic, upscale hotels in Santa Fe.

I did however, visit the spa and was fortunate enough to get Richard as my Massage Therapist. The previous reviewer was correct. This guy is amazing. I have never had such an incredible experience. His knowledge and expertise was astounding. He knew exactly what /where I needed work and his touch was perfect. He works magic. I have never felt anything like it in my life. From the reviews it seems like he might be the best thing about Bishop's Lodge.

The only problem is that I think he may have ruined me for my therapist back at home.

Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank benjaminthere
Reviewed 9 July 2006

Something is terribly wrong here and management doesn't care!!! It was the first time I felt uneasy about our well-being on the road. None of the connecting doors locked properly - the keys were "lost", the dead bolt was installed upside down - and management told me to just "put some chairs against the door". We were taken about a mile into the wilderness to trap shoot but the van never came to pick us up despite a half dozen calls back to the lodge. We waited in the rain and lightening over an hour before the (great!) instructor was able to drive us in his own pickup truck.

The concierge misadvised us about spa, horseback riding, and children's programs causing us great disappointment, time, and money. Room service failed to deliver what we ordered and promised to bring it. When he arrived, he dropped the plate on the floor and it cracked in two pieces. He picked it up, placed the food back onto the halves, handed it to my young son and left. We never heard from him again. We would have just eaten the snacks in the minibar instead but they were expired by as much as a year!!!!! Don't stay here! It was a really miserable experience!!!

• Stayed: June 2006