See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I spent five nights here recently with my family. The setting is gorgeous and only a few minutes drive to downtown Santa Fe. Leisure facilities are good - a well maintained pool, a small spa and fitness center, and things like croquet and badminton for the kids. There's also lots of activities that can be accessed for an extra fee - horse riding etc. We had dinner once and breakfast twice in the dining room. The food and service are ok, but it's expensive. We used the kids club one evening (5-9pm) - a nice touch but also expensive at $60 per child.

Our room had two adjoining sleeping spaces - one with bunk beds for the kids - and a small bathroom. Everything was clean but the room hadn't been updated for a long time. The whole atmosphere was tired and old fashioned. This place markets itself as an upscale resort and it needs to invest in the modernization of it's rooms if wants to justify that presentation and the high prices it charges.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank MJMH
Management response:Responded 16 November 2010

Thank you for sharing with others your Bishop's Lodge experience. We are pleased that you chose Bishop's Lodge for your family vacation in Santa Fe, enjoying the family oriented activities in our gorgeous valley location. We look forward to hosting your family for future visits to Santa Fe.

Reviewed 6 August 2010

Bishop's Lodge is located on a mountainside just outside of Santa Fe. The locale is beautiful but parking is tight by the room that we were assigned. We had afternoon showers that cooled things down for us and we did not mind watching the storms flow in over the mountain. July is monsoon season so with that said, we felt lucky to have just a few showers and no real MONSOONS!

The 2 bedroom suite was large with a fireplace to boot! But the place needed to be remodeled as the floors were uneven and fixtures in the bathrooms were leaky. Furnishing were of the rustic santa fe feel and were adequate and comfortable.

I would definitely bring the family there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank portacurlygirl
SarahBL, General Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2010

Thank you for sharing your experience and recommendation to others regarding your recent stay at Bishop's Lodge Ranch Resort and Spa. We are pleased that your family enjoyed the spacious historic accommodations. The design of Bishop's Lodge is one to maximize the natural beauty and thus parking is a bit tighter but with less impact on the environment. We will look forward to hosting your family as their Santa Fe resort destination for year to come.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

I hesitate to completely trash anyplace in a review, but this is the place that deserves a complete trashing. I have traveled over a large part of the globe in my life, and never have I felt that I received less value for my money than at the Bishop's Lodge. Understand that this is not a moderately priced hotel, and they try and squeeze every nickel they can out of you while giving nothing in return. I understand this lodge is over 90 years old, but that does not mean it needs to be rundown and dirty. I do not kid you when I tell you that in the main lodge it looks like they still have the original carpet, it might have been cleaned 75 years ago though. I arrived with several people, and we received room scattered all over the property. There was a large difference in accommodations depending on what part of the grounds you stayed, but none were acceptable or worth the price, the only question was how badly you were ripped off and gouged. The older lodges are dirty, dingy, smell awful, and are worse than any Motel 6 or Super 8 room for 5x the price. The hallways in the old lodge smelled like a mixture of skunks, mildew and death. The "newer" rooms are much larger, and look great upon arrival, but when you stay there and start to notice the small details you see the lack of upkeep there as well. Stained carpets, holes in the carpet, TV from 1982, stained sheets, pubic hair in the corner of the bathroom, worn & or broken furniture. Far from luxury accommodations. The staff is a mixed bag, some very nice people that try hard, and some nasty young folks that emanate anger. They offer a free shuttle downtown by the angriest snotty young man I have ever had the misfortune of being locked in a vehicle with. On top of the outrageous prices for the feeble accommodations they hit you with about a $15.00 per day per person resort fee! So for a family of 4 it is about $60 extra per day for very little in return. When I questioned the fee the desk manager stressed that this fee included free parking! I had to park no where near my original smelly dungeon of a room, and never have I paid for parking at a facility miles outside the city limits. Room service menu claims service until 11pm, until you call at 10pm and are informed that it actually stops at 9pm! I could easily go on about the disappointments in this lodge all day, but I imagine that I made my point, no wonder they charge a $50.00 early departure fee, I am certain they see early departures all the time. In summary, if you are looking for a restaurant that smells like gas and old socks, a room in the summer in NM with no AC, service charges and fee's of every variety added to everything and everything, than this is the place for you. It is a shame. It is a great location, and I could only imagine how magnificent this place could have been at one point in history.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank dimpprob

Bishop's Lodge Ranch Resort and Spa is a historic resort with 15 separate lodges with a range of room types from the economical to the luxurious private villa. I apologize that the accommodations that your party chose wasn't to your liking. The resort fee is for all of the additional services we offer daily including, fitness classes, scheduled shuttle service to the Santa Fe Plaza, GPS hiking trails, mountain bikes, art tour, chapel tour, lawn games, WIFI and tennis clinics. Please contact me directly for your next visit to Santa Fe so I may personally extend the best of what Bishop's Lodge Ranch Resort and Spa has to offer.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

The staff at Bishop's Lodge was extreamely attentive. I would recommend for any occassion.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom M

Thank you for your comments about our staff on you recent visit to Bishop's Lodge Ranch Resort and Spa. We have shared you comments with our staff and congratulated them on a job well done. We look forward your return to Bishop's Lodge to enjoy the many amentias and seasonal offerings.

Reviewed 17 July 2010

Our room was nice in that it had two large bedrooms and a living area and two baths. The furnishings and bedding are pretty old and worn out.  Clearly, the management is not concerned with keeping the place up to date and seems to take a band-aid approach to holding things together.  Despite the hotel manager's statement to the contrary in response to another review, there is not wifi in all the rooms. When I asked his staff about it, they just kind of shrugged and said they guessed it didn't work in all the rooms.  Other than the pool staff, all the other staff is completely clueless.  You get the impression that they were all hired last week and had never worked in a hotel or restaurant before. One day, for example, we finally left after waiting 10 minutes to be seated for breakfast. The hostess knew we were there Nd acknowledged us, but she left to seat another party and never returned until we had already given up and were leaving.  Our call to the spas two days ago to set up a massage, etc. still has not been returned. All in all, we had a good time, and the kids enjoyed themselves, but it was way overpriced for the quality and level of service.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank OleQuijote

Bishop's Lodge is pleased that your kids had fun and the pool staff was attentive during your recent stay. WIFI is available on a complementary basis in the guest rooms and throughout the public areas of the resort. We've followed up with the staff to ensure they are providing the correct information and to offer access to the support IT team that provides the WIFI service. We apologize for the lack of attention you received in the restaurant and the new restaurant manager is diligently training the staff to our four diamond level service standards. We invite you back to the Ranch and please contact me personally for your next visit to Santa Fe.