“Warning to those who don't book reservation directly with lodge”

and 1 more site!
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #43 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 29 May 2007

Bishops Lodge is a beautiful place to visit. It is far enough from the city to feel like you have truly escaped. But it is a very short drive to the wonderful plaza and all the galleries that make Santa Fe special. I would like to give a warning all those people who book online. I booked the room through Priceline and the room that we got was certainly not what was described on line. The room was clean but it was tiny. My husband and I were constantly running into each other and we both couldn't fit into the bathroom. The walls are paper thin. Our room was in the older area of the lodge but we did have a patio, which I thought was going to be great. That was until I sat out on it and all I could smell were the horse stables which were right below our room. We had called ahead and asked for a room with a view because we were celebrating our anniversary so when we didn't get it I just figured it was the best they had so I didn't complain or request a move. Upon check out I nicely told the girl working of my concerns about the tiny room and the smell and she told me that I could have requested a move. I told her we made a request before we arrived so I didn't think it would have helped. She then looked at record and saw that we booked throught Priceline, she then basically told me that the rooms like ours were for those who booked "discount rooms". I say this to warn those who book on line and not directly throught their site. You will be booked into a room that isn't what is you expect, you will be in a two star room not a three.
All in all our stay was very nice, we had expected more but we didn't go to Santa Fe to stay in our room or sit around the lodge all day.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hollynoel
There are newer reviews for Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa

Reviewed 10 April 2007

I was so looking forward to bringing my wife to this resort. The photos on the web site looked great. We got there in early April & were booked into room 127. The room was a TOTAL nightmare & I'm not kidding!!!! The carpet was filthy at least 30 years old...the sofa was falling apart. Paint was chipping...zero landscaping...the paint job in the hallway leading up to the room was comical (half done)... I flipped the switch to the fan in the bathroom (thinking it was a light), & it squealed & sounded as if it was going to fall right out of the ceiling. Basically the place is old, run down, & digusting! I am being totally honest when I say I would not have slept in that room for a thousand bucks, let alone pay the $250 per night they wanted! Worst of all was the stench! It took us hours get rid of that smell on us & we were only in the room for a few minutes! We were shown two other rooms by the manager (who was quite nice considering)...they were a little better...but not a lot. The last room he showed us was the last straw, as it was obvious the bed was used after it was made...(a gardner & a maid perhaps?) Fortunately, after a little hassle, we got our full deposit back. We are totally puzzled as to the good reviews of this dump! Either their standards are quite low, or there must be some nice rooms buried deep in the resort that perhaps we were not worthy enough to be shown??? We did have a nice lunch however in the main lodge while waiting for the room to be done. I sure hope a manager reads this review... If you do, please take some time & walk over to that building which houses 127 & really look around & be honest with yourself. It's not fit for people's animals. It needs to be torched...burnt down & rebuilt! Obviously, I would not recommend this resort to anyone!!! ...EVER!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
12  Thank southwest_lover
Reviewed 10 April 2007

My wife and I have stayed at the Bishop's Lodge a few times over the last 15 years. I heartily recommend staying in the new section as opposed to the old (albeit historical) section. I feel the rooms are much nicer and afford better views.
My wife and I like the Bishop's Lodge becuase it's away from everything - downtown, noise, people, etc. Of course, this means you have to drive into town and find a parking place.
We've had some good meals at the restaurant, but I don't rate it as high as some of the restaurants in town.
The spa is nice, but not great.
Great outdoor swimming pool.
Horse back riding is an added bonus.
On a cool night under the stars with the coyotes howling and the scent of juniper and sage in the air - that's what it's all about at the Bishop's Lodge.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank FlyingGeese
Reviewed 28 February 2007

Wow - what a great place for our annual conference. Cannot wait to return for a family vacation! Thoroughly enjoyed the skeet shooting and the spa. Hospitality, and food are also tops! Thanks for a great and memorable experience! -Ogden from Austin, TX

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank DOAustin
Reviewed 26 February 2007

During a recent trip to the Bishop's Lodge, everything I had read in advance about the resort was right on! From the accomodations to the cleanliness, it was perfect!
The unit I stayed in was spacious with fantastic amenities that made me feel as though I were in my home. The conference facilities were state of the art and the temperature levels remained perfect at all times. The crackling fires in the meeting room fireplace added ambiance second to none.
The meals were excellent; from the fried trout to the elk, everything was prepared to perfection and added to the overall success of the event.
Lastly and most importantly, the service was great! Not only was I greeted daily with a smile, I was greeted by name! This was quite impressive because even though I had a name tag, after the first day it was not always visible!
Cudos to the leadership team at the Bishop's Lodge! I am already looking forward to my next visit!

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank carolinachicken
Reviewed 22 February 2007

I attended a conference for 3 days at the hotel and it was amazing! The food was great, the service was exceptional and the hotel was beautiful! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a place to get away for either leisure or business.

• Stayed: February 2007
4  Thank mcclure4
Reviewed 20 February 2007

What a refreshing experience. The staff at Bishop's Lodge really knows what the meaning of service is. They are incredibly attentive to your every need. The food is fantastic. You can't beat the beautiful surroundings. I was there when there was three feet of snow on the ground, but the sky was clear and blue and the air crisp. What an amazing place.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business