“Expensive for what you get”

and 1 more site!
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #43 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 17 June 2007

Bishop's Lodge is very pricey for what you get. We stayed June 8-11, 2007. We ended up in a room built in the 60's. Sure it was updated, but for $350 a night the room was less than spectacular. There are some trails on the property that you can walk, but they are not well marked. We had to ask a worker where the yellow trail was. It was easy enough to get to and away from the hustle and bustle of the plaza.

If we return to Santa Fe, we will not return to Bishop's Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 June 2007

I am a very particular traveler and I had to say that I was so anxious regarding my stay at Bishop's Lodge.The reviews on here were terrible so I was very nervous. I bid for the room on Priceline for $80 but upgraded to a deluxe queen queen room because I was informed by the hotel that the PL room was very small. I called the hotel a few times to make sure they give me a deluxe room in the new lodge. When we drove up to the hotel, I was surprised, the grounds were very nice and clean. I went into the lobby which was very nice and checked in. The girl at the front desk was friendly. She gave me a room on the bottom floor of the Chamisa lodge but I kindly asked her if she could give me a room on the second floor and after searching for a few minutes, she gave me room 210 instead of 201. We drove our car to the lodge and walked up the stairs. The room was huge and very nice. The bathroom was very large with a large shower and separate tub. It has two sinks. The room was very clean and didn't smell like smoke at all. I had requested a non-smoking room. The balcony was very nice and overlooks a stream and trees. If you really want a nice view of the mountains, I highly recommend paying an extra upgrade to stay in the ridge deluxe rooms especially the ones in the Jemez lodge. I walked up there and it is so nice and secluded. You can see the mountains and valleys. The grounds were beautiful up there and right behind the lodge there are walking trails you can walk. However, beware that there are horse poop on the trails because this is where the horses walk if you take a horseback ride.

We went down to the pool and it was very nice. However, there were a lot of cottonwood tree cotton on the surface of the pool. It really needed to be skimmed. It was heated and the water looked clean. The hot tub doesn't look very nice so I didn't go in. The bathroom there was very clean and new. The fitness center was a good size. I walked around taking pictures of the grounds and I have to say, if you book a room through PL, make sure you upgrade because they will give you a room in the north lodges which are very old. It's also near the stables and you can smell the horses. The Chamiza lodge is in the new section. It was built 10 years ago versus the north lodges which were built in the 1920s.

Overall, I am very happy with the room 210 in the Chamiza lodge. I am a very particular traveler and so this lodge room far exceeded my expectations. The service also has been very great. We couldn't get the light to work and they came right away to fix it. See my pictures I uploaded and lots of pictures for you to see. So here are the key tips when staying here:
1)Upgrade to a deluxe room or a deluxe ridge room.
2)Request a new lodge. They are Chamiza, Little Tesuque, Jemez, and Vista del Valle. I highly recommend the deluxe ridge rooms.

I love staying here more than the craziness of the Plaza. It feels like you are away and secluded here. It's very quite and the Plaza is very congested. Parking is terrible down in the Plaza. The hotels there look very cramped. I would recommend staying here but make sure you book a deluxe ridge room or deluxe room in one of the newer lodges.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank kimlovestraveling
Reviewed 5 June 2007

Our stay was very disappointing. We reserved a traditional suite and we were put in the South Lodge. The room smelled like mildew, had a bee infestation in the window, and looked nothing like the picture online. We called and complained and they moved us across the hall into a traditional room. When my husband went to get the new key, he asked if we could be moved into a newer building. The South Lodge was old and you had to hold your breath in the hallway it smelled so bad. They moved us to the Chamisa Lodge which was a lot nicer. They put us in a Deluxe King room at the same price as our original reservation. This room was spacious, clean, and had a beautiful balcony. We did however, come across some problems with this room. The toilet overflowed one day and it took them 3 hours to come and clean it up. Thank goodness my husband knew how to stop the toilet from overflowing or the room below us would have been flooded. The tub’s drain was broken. The iron had ski wax all over it. The pool was disgusting; there were thousands of insects and debris all over the surface. I picked up the lid of the skimmer and found that the filter was not working and there was no chlorine in the pool. The still water with debris made perfect sense to me now. We asked for it to be cleaned and fixed three times. The next day, we found the pool to be vacuumed, but the filter was still not working, no chlorine, and the water was cloudy. Our reservations stated that we were to have salsa and chips in the room at all times. There was one bag when we arrived in our third room and that’s all we got. The trails around the resort were covered in horse poop, which made hiking impossible. They put about 20 horses in a small paddock filled with poop and this is where they lived. They were not groomed and one had dried sweat saddle marks all over him. The upside of this resort is that it is in an excellent location, about 3 miles up in the hills amongst a plethora of million dollar homes. It is secluded from the town which makes it feel like a retreat. Our room had a large balcony overlooking a babbling brook. The sound was magical. This resort has a lot of potential to be outstanding, and I am sure it has been at some point in history. But currently, this resort is being managed poorly and the service and grounds are suffering.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Savasana
Reviewed 29 May 2007

Bishops Lodge is a beautiful place to visit. It is far enough from the city to feel like you have truly escaped. But it is a very short drive to the wonderful plaza and all the galleries that make Santa Fe special. I would like to give a warning all those people who book online. I booked the room through Priceline and the room that we got was certainly not what was described on line. The room was clean but it was tiny. My husband and I were constantly running into each other and we both couldn't fit into the bathroom. The walls are paper thin. Our room was in the older area of the lodge but we did have a patio, which I thought was going to be great. That was until I sat out on it and all I could smell were the horse stables which were right below our room. We had called ahead and asked for a room with a view because we were celebrating our anniversary so when we didn't get it I just figured it was the best they had so I didn't complain or request a move. Upon check out I nicely told the girl working of my concerns about the tiny room and the smell and she told me that I could have requested a move. I told her we made a request before we arrived so I didn't think it would have helped. She then looked at record and saw that we booked throught Priceline, she then basically told me that the rooms like ours were for those who booked "discount rooms". I say this to warn those who book on line and not directly throught their site. You will be booked into a room that isn't what is you expect, you will be in a two star room not a three.
All in all our stay was very nice, we had expected more but we didn't go to Santa Fe to stay in our room or sit around the lodge all day.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hollynoel
Reviewed 10 April 2007

I was so looking forward to bringing my wife to this resort. The photos on the web site looked great. We got there in early April & were booked into room 127. The room was a TOTAL nightmare & I'm not kidding!!!! The carpet was filthy at least 30 years old...the sofa was falling apart. Paint was chipping...zero landscaping...the paint job in the hallway leading up to the room was comical (half done)... I flipped the switch to the fan in the bathroom (thinking it was a light), & it squealed & sounded as if it was going to fall right out of the ceiling. Basically the place is old, run down, & digusting! I am being totally honest when I say I would not have slept in that room for a thousand bucks, let alone pay the $250 per night they wanted! Worst of all was the stench! It took us hours get rid of that smell on us & we were only in the room for a few minutes! We were shown two other rooms by the manager (who was quite nice considering)...they were a little better...but not a lot. The last room he showed us was the last straw, as it was obvious the bed was used after it was made...(a gardner & a maid perhaps?) Fortunately, after a little hassle, we got our full deposit back. We are totally puzzled as to the good reviews of this dump! Either their standards are quite low, or there must be some nice rooms buried deep in the resort that perhaps we were not worthy enough to be shown??? We did have a nice lunch however in the main lodge while waiting for the room to be done. I sure hope a manager reads this review... If you do, please take some time & walk over to that building which houses 127 & really look around & be honest with yourself. It's not fit for people's animals. It needs to be torched...burnt down & rebuilt! Obviously, I would not recommend this resort to anyone!!! ...EVER!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
12  Thank southwest_lover
Reviewed 10 April 2007

My wife and I have stayed at the Bishop's Lodge a few times over the last 15 years. I heartily recommend staying in the new section as opposed to the old (albeit historical) section. I feel the rooms are much nicer and afford better views.
My wife and I like the Bishop's Lodge becuase it's away from everything - downtown, noise, people, etc. Of course, this means you have to drive into town and find a parking place.
We've had some good meals at the restaurant, but I don't rate it as high as some of the restaurants in town.
The spa is nice, but not great.
Great outdoor swimming pool.
Horse back riding is an added bonus.
On a cool night under the stars with the coyotes howling and the scent of juniper and sage in the air - that's what it's all about at the Bishop's Lodge.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank FlyingGeese
Reviewed 28 February 2007

Wow - what a great place for our annual conference. Cannot wait to return for a family vacation! Thoroughly enjoyed the skeet shooting and the spa. Hospitality, and food are also tops! Thanks for a great and memorable experience! -Ogden from Austin, TX

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business