“Charming, Unique and Cozy”

Inn of the Five Graces
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Hermosa Beach, California
“Charming, Unique and Cozy”
Reviewed 2 January 2007

I have stayed at the La Posada, the Inn of Loretto and just fell into this hotel because it was the only hotel Amex could get me for New Years. What an amazing find! The rooms are so ecclectic and unique - you can tell there was a major effort in designing every aspect of the room. When we arrived in the room there were margaritas, chips and salsa waiting. Also, there was pate, bri cheese, and a huge assortment of drinks and snacks available in the kitchen for FREE - that's right, no charges whatsover. This is a non-tipping hotel as well, so you will not be spending any additional money except for the room rate. The continental breakfast is great and is served in a charming setting. My wife and I absolutely loved this hotel and plan on renting the house (yes, there is a house you can rent) this summer with other family members. We stayed in a suite with a family room, kitchen and bedroom - the feather bed and overall bedding was so comfortable. The service was awesome too !

• Liked — The design of the rooms, free food/drink
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — If you don't like walking stairs ask for a ground floor room - stairs are pretty steep
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rigg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Reviewed 7 December 2006

We stayed at the Inn of Five Graces for 3 nights early Nov. 2006. As usual I found it on Trip Advisor and confirmed my selection in various travel books and magazines. I do alot of research. While not quite as exotic as some of the pictures (depends on room) the accommodations were very nice and comfortable (with addition of space heaters in bedroom). We stayed in the Stone House section and I did have a chance to look at some of the rooms on the side nearest to the office (property straddles a non busy street). Room 24 really looked nice and had the large mosaic tiled bathroom I was hoping for. Room descriptions vary greatly as well as price. The hotel is spread out in a maze like fashion in a very historical area of Santa Fe. Just walking around the grounds is fascinating many old pieces of furniture, fountains etc. collected by previous owner. I found all extra charges noted clearly in advance of arrival no surprises. I booked directly with hotel and received a prompt reply to all inquiries. We did take the walking tour with the manager Niall and it was very informative. All staff at the hotel were excellent and responsive to any need. I called and booked a different restaurant for each night based on Laura's recommendations and they were all excellent. The manager Niall is ALWAYS there and is hands on with everything going on at the hotel. He really keeps everything on track. Breakfast is served in a small room (probably needs to be enlarged) and is buffet or a la carte with daily specials. It is very good. Did not like the communal table situation we encountered on first day....very nice guests; however do not like to chat first thing in the morning and no other option. The next two mornings we did manage a table to ourselves but you sort of feel guilty! I think that should be changed. Have one for those that might like it and some other options. This was the perfect choice for us as the historical street and old buildings of the hotel made you feel you were very far away....this hotel would not be for those that really like really modern places and no glitches. Walking distance to most things for those that like to walk but after dark we preferred taxis. Would love to return again. Lots of plans for renovating some rooms and enlarging bathrooms etc. in those with small ones. Pick your room carefully so you understand what you are booking as they do vary greatly.

• Liked — the history
  • Disliked — too cold
  • Tips/Secrets — pick room carefully
  • Stayed November 2006
7 Thank gene
Louisiana
Reviewed 23 November 2006

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at the Inn of the Five Graces at the end of October 2006. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would stay there again without hesitation.

Before I extoll the virues of this B&B, I’d like to clarify some information that others have posted regarding the Inn. Many people have posted comments about the “hidden” fees that the hotel charges per night. Although I cannot discredit other people’s experiences relating to this topic, I can divulge my own dealings with the hotel. In my experience, these charges were in no way hidden. When I called to make our reservation, I was told up front about each additional tax. Furthermore, I received a letter in the mail within a week confirming our reservation and detailing these charges. My guess is that most people do not take the time to figure out how much these taxes will add to their nightly room rate and are staggered when they receive their final bill. This, however, is the not the fault of the hotel. So that everyone is on the same page, let me detail the charges to which I am referring. First of all, the hotel does charge a 10% service charge per night. This charge covers such amenities as breakfast, parking, stocked refrigerator, daily walking tour of Santa Fe, daily cocktails and the fact that it is a non-tipping establishment. In addition, there is a 7% hotel tax which hotels everywhere charge, and the New Mexico sales tax which weighs in at 7.5625%. When you add all these taxes together you get 24.5625% added to your bill each night. Just to give you an example of how much this adds to your bill: the base rate for our room was $388/night. The approx. 25% in taxes added a whopping $95 to our bill each night for a grand total of $483 per night. However, we read the information the hotel sent us and were prepared for the total cost of the room. My suggestion would be that you have a calculator handy when you make your reservation. You can do a quick calculation and see exactly what your room rate will be after taxes. Then you can make an informed decision about which room will fit your budget.

Now to the good stuff. My husband and I stayed in Room #23 (designated as a full suite on the website). While it was one of the smaller rooms, we chose it for the separate shower and jacuzzi. The room was decorated with lots of carved wood accents, antiques and Native American rugs. The bathroom was quite large and was covered in gorgeous tilework. The room was on the ground floor and was very quiet and private. The room also had a stocked mini-fridge. It was full of sodas, water, granola bars, cheeses and candy bars. The fridge was complimentary (part of that 10% service fee), so you could eat as little or as much as you wanted. It was re-stocked daily when the room was cleaned. Turndown service included fresh baked cookies and a dreamcatcher on your pillow to promote a good night’s sleep. The trash cans were emptied again and any dirty towels were removed and replaced with fresh linen.

Breakfast was excellent. There was a continental buffet with fresh fruit, bagels, artisan breads, yogurt, juices, cofee and tea. There was also a chef available to cook you any hot item that you would like. There was a host who took your order and made sure your coffee cup stayed hot and full. He even learned our first names and food/drink preferences.

The best part of the experience was the stellar customer service. Whether it was the welcome we received complete with fresh chips, salsa and a carafe of margaritas or the small daily courtesies (directions, reservations, a smiling face asking us how the room was and what they could do to make our stay more enjoyable), it was evident that the top priority of each and every staff member was to make our experience as memorable and as exceptional as possible. No doubt that we would grace the Inn of the Five Graces with our presence if ever in Santa Fe again!

• Liked — superior customer service
  • Disliked — honestly, nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
11 Thank travelnut2000
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 13 November 2006

Our third visit to Santa Fe, and second time at Inn of Five Graces.
1. Great ,close to downtown location, BUT, be prepared not to sleep soundly as the next door government building picks up it's garbage at 3AM...2 nights in a row.
2. Understand exactly what kind of room you will be staying in...they are all very different in one way or another...I've seen four of them to date. Some have tiny baths, beds too big for the room...ie. crowded, wood burning OR gas fireplaces...the gas ones looked like a cheap afterthought.
3. Fairly dark in all the rooms I have stayed in, not only inconvient, but makes you question the cleanliness....ie. found mold on bathtiles.
4. I wish the owners would spend a night or two in each room to understand these issues.
5. Staff and breakfast were great.
6. Way too expensive for what you get...knowing what I now know of the Graces I'd have a hard time paying $300 per night. I am always willing to pay top dollar for a great hotel. Unfortunately, I do not think a true luxury hotel exists in Santa Fe...heard that from a 15 year local resident.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — rooms/noise
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
25 Thank mountaintop
California
Reviewed 17 October 2006

I loved this place, despite the tininess of the rooms, until I got my bill and found an extra $75 a day had been added on my bill. I stayed in the two-bedroom suite (in order to have more space) and was delighted to find a fridge full of "free" mini-bar items, and cookies at night, and even a free bottle of wine that the manager let us take up to our room because they no longer offered the advertised wine and cheese in the lobby. Given that the room was $750, this all seemed in line with perks I'd gotten at other hotels (Auberge du Soleil in Napa for one) and were much appreciated. Then when I check out, I'm told that there is a $75/day service charge to cover breakfast (which was advertised as free) and housekeeping, which c'mon -- is free in every hotel in the world. So don't be fooled by any of the nice little perks you're getting at this hotel, they are NOT free! You are being charged.

Stayed October 2006
14 Thank VeronicaAnn
Sarasota FL
Reviewed 15 October 2006

We recently spent a long weekend at Inn of the Five Graces -
certainly not a property for those looking for the traditional cookie cutter hotel! Upon check in to our premium suite, we found a pitcher of margeritas waiting for - Great touch! The suite was roomy although, really didn't have much use for a full kitchen although we of course enjoyed the fully stocked fridge!
Huge bathroom with jacuzzi tub (didn't work!) and wish the lighting had been a bit better in there. Huge master bedroom and small sitting room with convertible sleeper sofa - upon turn down a feather bed cover was added - great touch! Our only complaint was the a/c not working properly at all which made for a long hot and stuffy night. Loved sitting in the courtyard and especially building an open air fire! Breakfast was excellent - included now with the addition of eggs - pancakes - french toast. Would have preferred to not share a community table however.
Fairly friendly staff - some friendlier than others. Great bath products - great location
Would recommend it!

• Liked — The night time cookies!
  • Disliked — Lack of a/c
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank mandersen
San Francisco
Reviewed 4 September 2006

I'm a little torn about this place - there were things I loved and some things I definitely did not. First the good stuff - the service was great, worth the 10% service charge that is added to the bill daily. The staff was friendly and helpful, but never obstrusive. They called us days before we came to see if we wanted reservations or plans made - impressive. And the housekeeping and turn-down service was perfect - especially with all the fabulous treats (our suite's frig was kept fully stocked with water, sodas, crackers, cookies etc throughout - really a nice touch). The breakfasts were wonderful also - great selection of high quality, including hot items.
Now the bad stuff - as interesting and unique as the decor was, our room was a little bit shabby. Our bathroom was tiny and not particularly nice, outside the cool tile work and great toileteries - a sink that didn't drain, and a weird little shower in a small, old tub. At almost $450/night, I think the facilities should be much nicer. The bedroom was disappointing too - the room was so small that the closet was barely accessible. And while the sheets were wonderful (and smelled so nice), the bed was squeaky and left us with aching backs. And there was nowhere to put our clothes - the antique furniture was pretty, but didn't have any shelves or drawers. I liked the layout of the suite with the kitchen and the living area, but it was all pretty tired, with large, noisy heating and cooling units everywhere. Our front door didn't open or close without a pretty good fight.
So the bottom line is that the service and "feel" of the place is special and possibly worth the trip in itself. But if modern amenities are important to you, then this place isn't for you.

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Be careful how much you drink - the potency of alcohol at that altitude is incredible
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple