“Great times on the river”

Kokopelli Rafting Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Kokopelli Rafting Adventures is Santa Fe and Northern New Mexico's finest whitewater rafting guide service. Consistently ranked as Trip Advisors #1 provider in our category and recipient of Trip Advisor's Certificate of Excellence for 2015, 2016 and 2017. Join us in the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument for whitewater river rafting on the Rio Grande Racecourse (class 3), Taos Box (class 3-4), the family friendly Lower Gorge (class 2) or the Lower Gorge Racecourse full-day (class 2-3). The Rio Chama offers something for everyone as well on the full-day (class 2-3) or the multi-day overnight trip through the congressionally designated Wild and Scenic section; 31 miles of class 2 and 3 fun! Enjoying our great river canyons as well as the best guides around. Our guides start with an 80 hour training course designed to meet Colorado's stringent standards. Our veteran guides are trained to meet the US national and International Rafting Federation's international standards.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I am an active 30 year old and have lived in Albuquerque, NM for years. I have gone rafting with outfitters in Colorado and New Mexico before, and this summer I decided to check out Kokopelli, and I am glad I did. I went on the half-day Racecourse trip and had a blast! Our guides, Tori and Ed, were awesome! Not only were they skilled, but funny, knowledgeable, and professional. They were safety conscience, but still provided us with an awesome trip through some exciting rapids. In fact, I had such a great time on the trip that I decided to go on the Chama full day with Kokopelli, but opted for an inflatable kayak “ducky”. Although this was a more relaxing, scenic trip, we still went through some fun rapids. Also, I was impressed on the Chama trip that the guides were able to accommodate and entertain a range of people ages 7-65. I would definitely recommend Kokopelli to locals or anyone visiting the area.

1  Thank Brian_C102387
"clear instructions"
"meeting point"
"a lot of fun"
in 8 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was a lot of fun for my wife and I. I like to start off by saying that we have never done anything like this before and so when we signed up, we had concerns such as we weren't in the best shape and we didn't have any rafting experience to take on the Taos Box. But we wanted to do white water rafting and we were lucky to sign up with them. Billy and Jake were our experienced guides and our boat mates were six boys scouts and their troop leaders. What can I say we were in good hands. Now keep in mind that this company offers different packages, but if you want to really experience white water rafting, then you need to sign up for the full day Taos Box.

I cannot stress the importance of bringing sunscreen. Make sure you bring a bottle and apply regularly on all exposed skin (back of the neck, face, arms, legs, etc.) because I learned the hard way, you will burn under the hot sun. Also wear comfortable clothes (preferably waterproof or something that dries quickly) , because you will chaff and bring extra clothing for the return home and bring a water bottle. Another thing, bring a waterproof camera, or maybe a disposable camera in a sealable waterproof plastic bag. Because you will witness some incredible sites as you raft down the river. I still kick myself for not bringing a camera.

Below is our experience:

The day started with us meeting our guides at their Santa Fe office around 7:45 in the morning. From there they drove us to Taos (one hour drive) where we picked up a boyscout troop at a staging area and then together drove to the boat ramp at the bank of the river. Before boarding our rafts, we were given our life vest and helmet along with a paddle. After a safety presentation by our guides and a group picture by a professional photographer, we boarded the rafts. Our raft held five people and Billy our guide, and we floated down the river. Occasionally we were instructed by Billy to paddle, but most of the time we floated down the river and took in the incredible beauty that is nature. While floating down the river, our guide regaled us with facts about the river or the animals that lived in the canyon, and told stories about how pieces of metal debris from cars and motorcycles embedded in the rock faces of the cliff walls got there and in the tradition of tall tales not all of the stories may be true, but still quite entertaining.

For the white water rafting portion, when our raft came across a drop and the fun began, our guide deftly guided us down the drop while instructing us to paddle, we surmounted the rocks and safely navigated the drop without problems. Only thing was we got wet a lot (the front of the boat is were you will get wet, but if you don't want to get too wet, stay in the back.). Around 2:30 in the afternoon, we paddled to the bank of the river and got out of the boat. We had a nice lunch of sandwiches with chips and salsa, and fruits. It was great place to rest, and refill your water bottle. Also this was the best time for a bathroom break, which consisted of finding a rock outcrop or a bush to take care of business. After lunch, we cleaned up and got back on the raft for the last leg of the journey.

Overall my experience was very positive and highly recommend this to anyone..

2  Thank FoodLoverinHouston
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We totally enjoyed this experience. This was our 1st time white water rafting and our daughter now wants to upgrade to the next level. Guides were awesome and this is defenitely worth the money.

1  Thank 50STATESBY18
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Recently my family and I took a dream vacation to Santa Fe, and on the advice of a local we signed up for a 1-day trip on the Rio Chama. Our guide Justin was amazing -- so funny, knowledgeable, and safety oriented. We loved every minute. I can't wait to go back on the race course when my daughter is old enough.

2  Thank Chael C