“Great food at a great price”

The Famous Plaza Cafe
Ranked #21 of 556 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern, Cafe, Diner, Soups
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Plaza Cafe on the Santa Fe Plaza is a historic restaurant that has reopened after a fire in Sep 2010. It is the dining hub on the Plaza. It reopened last week and I would like to write a review of my experience. Joe Shaffer
Loveland, CO
“Great food at a great price”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We had the pleasure of eating here twice on Labor Day weekend. There was a waiting line to get in for both lunch and dinner but it is definitely worth the wait. My wife and I split a sandwich for lunch so we could have a piece of their fabulous homemade pie for dessert. The coconut cream pie was among the best we have ever eaten with a flaky crust and tons of flaked coconut on top. For dinner my wife had the grilled chicken dinner and I had the roast pork loin. Both were done to perfection and the serving was robust. The dinner rolls may be the best part of eating there. A table near ours did not even try their rolls; I wanted to ask "Are you going to eat those?" but my wife restrained me. We did not get the opportunity to try their breakfast but I cannot imagine that it would not be as terrific as the other meals. As I said, you may have to wait a few minutes but the reward is more than worth it!!!!

• Visited August 2014
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
We're honored that you stopped by not once, but twice, Greg! I'll let the kitchen know that the grilled chicken and roast pork loin really hit the spot for you guys. Next time you're back in town, don't hesitate to ask for a few more rolls and we'll be happy to send 'em your way!

Jacksonville, Florida
“Nothing was really a standout”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We were seated right away and had a window table wich was nice. The table seemed high, or the banquette low, because we were not at a comfortable height. The tortilla chips were not freshly made so that was a big disappointment, the salsa were good. The tortilla soups was nice, not overly cheesed and the carnitas tacos good. Nothing really was a stand out. Service was friendly and efficient.

• Visited September 2014
Thank you for your kind review, Jayne, although I wish we could have left you with a stronger first impression! I'll be sure to keep your feedback in mind moving forward, and I hope one of these days you might be willing to give us another shot to show you a five star experience.

Laredo
“Famous and Good!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

First restaurant we went to in Santa Fe. Recommended by locals is always a good gauge for a place to eat. Well, we were not disappointed! It was a Sunday and we were seated right away. Service was friendly and professional. Place is always busy, however, never too busy for Daniel. the owner. to make rounds and make sure everyone is well taken care of. He is definitely a hands on boss. The food portions are extremely generous and delicious. Prices for portions are reasonable. Staff is great! We met Valentin on one of our visits. He was very helpful and friendly while very attentive to all. My compliments to Daniel and all his hard working staff! Will definitely be back.

Visited August 2014
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
We're honored to have been your first Santa Fe food! We hope we were able to give you a good impression of the place. Thank you for taking time out of your day to write this, and I can't hope to see you again soon!

San Francisco, California
“So good!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We had early dinner here and thought it was delightful! We had the tortilla soup, cobb salad, and the fish tacos with a few drinks. Everything was delicious and plentiful. Our server Karla was attentive and helpful. The so-papilla was so good! The location is perfect! We ate and then walked across to the bandstand and had a wonderful night. When back in Santa Fe, we will come back here.

• Visited August 2014
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
We're pretty proud of those sopapillas, so I'll let the kitchen know they knocked 'em out of the park for you guys! Thanks for leaving Karla a shout out as well. I'll pass the kind words her way the next time I see her. Here's hoping you don't stay away from Santa Fe for too long!

Dallas, Texas
“Took to long to actually walk in here!”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Don't make that mistake. I know you have looked in the window and because your in a very native feeling Santa Fe...you think it's not worthy for dinner or lunch. You'll be wrong, and like me, eventually regret you have not walked in here sooner. It's the epitome of comfort foods and old fashioned diner feel. If you spend time here, you will run out of places to eat chips, salsa, and New Mexican. Not that it's a bad thing, I eat plenty of it here and enjoy it. But sometimes you want a change. Great burgers and fries, and all the sandwiches I saw looked generous and being enjoyed by the eaters. I has a pork loin and gravy...awesome, as was turkey and gravy at the table. This is the real deal, it's been here and busy for a million years, not because it looks like a tourist rip off on the plaza, but because it has awesome food, service and fair prices. If you think this place is pricey, turn your car around and leave Santa Fe....because you will starve looking for a place this good, this reasonable. Liked being there, will be back.

Visited August 2014
Daniel R, Owner at The Famous Plaza Cafe, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
I'm so glad you finally came in and gave us a a shot, Clive! Thanks for going the extra mile and taking time to write this review. We're pretty proud of that gravy, so thanks for recommending it to your fellow Yelpers. We can't wait to have you back! -Daniel, Owner