“Wanted to like it”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Wanted to like it”
Reviewed 25 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Only persian cuisine in Santa Fe. I really wanted to like this place, but there is not much redeeming here: service was poor, even though there was only one other table occupied; food was not good, overcooked and bland; space is dark and not appealing. Would not return.

Visited September 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Delicious Kebab”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I really enjoyed the Chelaw Kabab Koobideh I had at Istalif Cuisine. It might have been the best ground beef kebab I've ever had. It was served with a complimentary appetizer of hummus with (rubbery) pita wedges. The hummus was pretty meh.
I also has the baklava for desert, and it was just ok.

The service was fairly quick, although after finishing my meal, I waited a very long time for the opportunity to order dessert and then another long time before I was given the check.

However, I'd definitely go back to the restaurant if I find myself in Santa Fe again; the entree was just that good.

• Visited October 2013
6 Thank sehkmet22
“Best option if you dont like hot spicy mexican food.”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I went with my wife 3 times in a week. All the times the food and service were great. Persian ice cream and carrot juice with vanilla ice cream are soooooo delicious!!!

8 Thank Heitorpp
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Best hummus ever”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Wonderful new restaurant!
Had a variety of dishes, from lamb (with perfectly cooked basmati) to falafel and each was better than the last. The best surprise of the meal, though, was the persian ice cream, which we ate paired with the Baklava. Unbelievable!

8 Thank Nativa505
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Average food, quiet place”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I ate at Istalif last night [9.1.13] and had a mediocre experience at this restaurant. The food was salty, but bland; we were expecting more flavor. Since it was our first time there, I asked the waiter for his recommendation on what was the best of the menu. He guided us to the shish kabob on the last page of the menu where the meat choices were lamb, chicken, filet mignon and ground beef. We oredered a couple of combination plates. The filet mignon was too thin and over-cooked. The chicken was dry, so I smothered it with the yogurt/dill sauce. The ground beef was cooked perfectly and was seasoned. The service was very good with the waiter checking on us and the food was served quickly. Pomegranate juice was a good choice to accompany the food.