“Very cool, kind of treacherous rocky hiking though” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 260 things to do in Santa Fe
Colorado
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 204 helpful votes
“Very cool, kind of treacherous rocky hiking though”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

I have been to the petroglyphs about 3 or 4 times now. It's very cool, one of my favorite places to go poke around when the weather is good.

Directions to get there:
From the intersection of Airport Road and NM 599, continue west on Airport Road for 3.3 miles. There is a gravel parking area on the west side of the road and a BLM sign. Follow a trail marked by arrows for about five to ten minutes to access the basalt cliffs where the petroglyphs are located.

There is a small gravel parking lot, and no facilities. Don't leave valuables in your car as it is kind of remote. Wear comfortable closed shoes because as you hike up the to the basalt cliffs, its ankle-twisting rock scrambling. I could spend hours up there looking at all the weird petroglyphs. As soon as I think I have seen them all, I go a little further and find more. Once I locate some photos I took, I will upload them on this site. It looks like there could be snakes up there, but so far I have only seen lizards.

Visited September 2012