“Sacred cultural site for local's”

La Cieneguilla Petroglyph Site
Ranked #41 of 268 things to do in Santa Fe
Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Sacred cultural site for local's”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The problem with BLM officials is they have failed to properly managed this cultural site by giving it up to the urbanites of Santa Fe. In other words, many of these outsiders have trampled on the cultural site by creating their own walking trails, spraying painting the cultural site with their initials, removing the rock art from its original place, creating their own illegal shooting range, off-road vehicles, by bringing their household pets (dogs) to chit all over the place and not pick up their chit, and by throwing their human trash (i.e., water bottles, coke cans, beer bottles, etc.) and leaving it behind. So, no wonder the local's who have private property adjacent to the BLM properties are upset with these outsider's invading the area. The site where these urbanites park their cars was the site of a recent suicide and kidnapping scenario in which a white cross was placed by family members of the deceased. The best solution to these concerns is to go elsewhere for recreation and leave the area alone. The BLM officials should shut down and close the parking area they created and close the Camel Track area to the public, period!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank 833Francisco

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Where the heck ARE the petroglyphs?”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We found the parking lot which was denoted by one small sign. We followed the arrows on the trail. There was absolutely NO information on where to find the petroglyphs. After climbing through a barbed wire fence we didn't know if we were supposed to climb straight up to the top of the very rocky steep hill so we decided not to go any further. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE. Very poor representation of the local Santa Fe/Indian Culture. This should be a real gem, but is not accessible at all. We would have gladly made the hike if we would have had any indication of where to go. Terrible experience.

Visited August 2013
5 Thank Linda S
Colorado
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 207 helpful votes
“Very cool, kind of treacherous rocky hiking though”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I have been to the petroglyphs about 3 or 4 times now. It's very cool, one of my favorite places to go poke around when the weather is good.

Directions to get there:
From the intersection of Airport Road and NM 599, continue west on Airport Road for 3.3 miles. There is a gravel parking area on the west side of the road and a BLM sign. Follow a trail marked by arrows for about five to ten minutes to access the basalt cliffs where the petroglyphs are located.

There is a small gravel parking lot, and no facilities. Don't leave valuables in your car as it is kind of remote. Wear comfortable closed shoes because as you hike up the to the basalt cliffs, its ankle-twisting rock scrambling. I could spend hours up there looking at all the weird petroglyphs. As soon as I think I have seen them all, I go a little further and find more. Once I locate some photos I took, I will upload them on this site. It looks like there could be snakes up there, but so far I have only seen lizards.

Visited September 2012