“O.K. - A Bit Too Hipster for Normal Types”

Iconik Coffee Roasters and Cafe
Ranked #13 of 38 Coffee & Tea in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: Premium Direct Trade Coffee, lightly roasted, brewed to perfection by a highly trained and friendly staff. Top notch Direct Trade teas. House-Made Baked Items, Light Breakfast and Lunch, all items sourced locally. Gluten Free Available. Our coffee is an extension of our love. Our love for you, the coffee, and the hands that produced and plucked each ripened cherry. Spread the love.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A little too cool for the room, with overly hipstered baristas taking themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. But the decor is exceptional, there is often live music, and the coffee is very good. The food is decent but is very, very, (did I say very?) slow in coming. They seem to pride themselves on this, which is a misguided business plan that could only please a fellow hipster who's just not very hungry. A bagel/egg sandwich just can't take 20-30 minutes. Come on.

Come here if you have time to sit and linger, people watch, listen to some local musicians and wait for your food. The coffee is a bit faster on on the uptake. Enjoy.

2  Thank Marielle O

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Good coffee and food, but service is TERRIBLE. I was overcharged 2x on same order and got attitude for catching the mistake. When the order comes out the toast is visiby burnt. I don't feel like going up to complain for the 3rd time... and just cut the burnt edges off. I go back next day for lunch thinking I would give them another chance. I ask if there is a lunch menu... guy at register says "up there" and points to menu on the wall. I don't see salads and ask where they are, he tells me. I ask if they have a description of the salads, he then barks back "which salad" and I say well I don't know because all I see are names- no descriptions of ingredients. So I tell him to describe 3 salads. He rattles off basic ingredients missing the type of dressing and the veggies and anything that would help me select a tasty salad. The order taker just couldn't be bothered by anything and never looked at me at any point in the transaction. Oh and all this happens while I am the only person in line... he was not swamped with people. When he brings food he says nothing just plops the plate down on the table.

If you are going to tout yourself as a premium coffee shop/cafe then offer premium or at least adequate customer service. I live in the wine country of N.CA. and know what good food and service should be. While Ikonic has a nice but small menu and nice atmosphere today is my last visit to this place... and it's because of the horrible service and attitude.

Oh and to seal the deal... while I was eating my salad a cute dog comes into the cafe and the chef, and barrista come out to pet it. Thats nice, they like dogs. Cool. Problem is they then go back to work never washing their hands in between. Wow! And are non-working dogs even allowed in restaurants in NM?

3  Thank travelbugtoday
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We are checking out coffee shops while on vacation in NM (my husband owns a shop, and it's fun to see what others are doing). We saw a story on Iconik, and it was highly recommended by several people, so we had to check it out. Be aware that it is a destination spot; you won't just happen on this place as it is back on a side road away from the beaten path. However, it is worth the trip. The ambiance is great - urban, a bit quirky, with a funky coffee roaster out front. A variety of seating options to accommodate socializing with groups, or sitting solo doing work or reading (several people were enjoying paper books!). Outdoor seating includes a built-in sandbox for the human kiddies, and no less than three water bowls for the furry kids. Iconik is a coffee roaster, but also a bakery/cafe, so unlike a number of places we have visited they actually have food. The aroma when the baking is at its peak must make people weak in the knees.

I have had lattes at 8 or so places in the last four days, and this was one of the two best. Slowly made, with care. The flavor was rich, full of depth - I could taste and smell the coffee without any bitterness or seeming like it was overpowering. As I have noted throughout other reviews, this was not a sweet drink, but it didn't need any additions. Just savor the coffee (this trip is changing my palate). [This coffee was so good I bought a bag of beans to bring back to Indiana]. My husband had the lemonade, which he pronounced very good, but also not sweet (not Indiana sweet). That leaves the food: they had one white chocolate apricot scone left - if you can get one, do it and have it heated. Drier than, say, Panera's, but wonderful flavor and texture. The oatmeal cranberry cookie and peanut butter Nutella cookie (gluten free, this one!) were also really lovely. They serve lunch, for future reference. If you get the chance to check this place out, do so for sure.

1  Thank SharonB919
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is coffee the way it should be, single origin and roasted so you can taste the bean, not the roast. Darren knows what he's doing, the old school Otto Swadlo roaster is something to behold. The vibe here is as good as it gets for a coffee house. The cappuccino will ruin you! You will not be able to go anywhere else to get this kind of deliciousness. Todd is a master. The food here is great. Natalie is such a sweet heart and is always cooking up something good. Love, love. love the salted caramel cookie! This place is a little off the beaten path but worth the effort to get there.

4  Thank 505NewMexican505
Reviewed 14 November 2013

BEST coffee in Santa Fe and rivals coffee anywhere. They have great food, although a limited menu. I love the atmosphere, too. I wouldn't go anywhere else and I've been everywhere for coffee in Santa Fe. The staff is really nice, too.

7  Thank Outofdodge_10

Been to Iconik Coffee Roasters and Cafe? Share your experiences!