“Nothing worked”

Oahu, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nothing worked”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Equipment was sparse or not working at the "health club". There were only two treadmills, one was out of order. The hot tub was not working - only a "sorry for the inconvenience" sign was posted.

Visited September 2013

Hawley, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Spa Services”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I highly recommend including a visit to the spa on your next trip to Santa Fe, NM. Gladys is an amazing esthetician. She knew exactly what my skin needed and has a light, but effective hand when it comes to extractions. Try the East Indian massage with Blake. She has amazing hands. Susan did a wonderful job working an injury out of my friends shoulder (Essential Blends massage) and her reflexology skills (Dancing Feet) were painless and effective. My friend was so grateful after her treatment. I also loved the Wind and Mountain with Char. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that the robes actually covered everything that needed to be covered. I can only describe the entire experience as relaxing and wonderful.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Pamela W
Spruce Head, Maine
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Beware of overcharging at the Spa”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

It was my experience that the Spa at Hotel Santa Fe & LaFonda offers a luxury experience but failed to deliver. I booked my appointment for a 2-1/2 hour spa treatment through the La Fonda Hotel where I was staying. I was quoted $190 for the treatment and made the reservation for 9 AM based upon that quote. I was also told to arrive at 8:45 AM to check-in and change clothes first, and that a car would pick me up at 8:35 AM to transport me to the spa. So, I arrived at the car pick-up point on time and waited, and waited, and waited. After calling the Spa several times to find if the shuttle was coming, it finally arrived at 9:05 AM! We arrived at the Spa at 9:15 AM and were assured by the receptionist that my appointment would be pushed back to accommodate the full 2-1/2 hours promised. So, I checked-in and went to the locker room to change. At 9:30 AM (a half hour late) the treatment began. The massage was fine, but not as good as those I’ve had at other similar spas in the past. At 11 AM, (1-1/2 hours later) the masseuse announced that time was up (I had no watch or clock and didn’t realize the time) so I went to the locker room and changed back into my clothing. After I changed, the masseuse came in to say that she had made a mistake on the time and I still had more time coming to me. I really couldn’t see starting over again, so I said it was OK and that we’d just end it there. She said she’d go to the front desk and explain the error to the receptionist. I finished up and went to the front desk to pay me bill. It was a shock to be presented with a bill for $250!! The explanation was that those were the rates for the 2-1/2 hour treatment (even though I had only a 1-1/2 hour treatment) and that the La Fonda’s quote of $190 was inaccurate. However, the receptionist did offer me a 20% discount, which brought the charge down to $200. When I mentioned that I had one hour less than the actual treatment, she only let me leave a note for the spa director who would be in a few days later. I did get an email from the director offering me free treatment the next time I’m in Santa Fe. While I appreciated the offer, I don’t intend to return to the city and therefore, replied that I’d prefer a partial refund to better reflect the 1-1/2 treatment rates. Her reply to my request is that she checked with her staff and they said I received a 2 hour treatment and that there would be no further discount. So, I was left with no options at all, and treated as though I had lied. This is insulting. And, by the way, the car that was supposed to take us back to the La Fonda was a half hour late and left us standing on the street waiting. Any relaxation benefits from the massage were gone. I would never, ever, go back to this spa again.

3 Thank Katharine C