“Needs a major facelift with their food!! Very disappointed”
Review of Ristra - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Historic District
Cross street: Guadalupe/St. Francis
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Ristra used to be a good restaurant in Santa Fe, but no more. It's gone downhill.. and I won't be going back, ever again. The menu is tired, it looks shabby in the house part of the restaurant, service is sub par, and the food is not good. I had the mussels and they arrived cold. I couldn't get the attention of my server, who just ignored me. So, I had to eat cold mussels which I shouldn't have. Then their was a power surge, and I kept waiting and waiting, and I had an appointment. I finally had to go to the bar to try to pay my bill, their attitude was that I should keep waiting while their machines got to work. I couldn't. I had waited 1/2 hour. NEVER AGAIN! What used to be a good restaurant in no more. My boyfriend and i ate there in March, we were practically the only one's in the restaurant and the food was marginal.

2  Thank susan s
There are newer reviews for Ristra

Reviewed 22 April 2014

First impressions were really disappointing as hostess led us through a couple of rooms and asked several times which table we wanted for our party of 4. Finally, found a round table set very near 3 other tables right in aa busy passage way to other rooms. Appetizers were good but not specially interesting. Spicy Calamari with spicy lime dip was best dish of the evening. However, the so-called Crispy Salmon was soggy, not a crispyness in sight....and was raw in the middle...inedible. Then, there was the service that needs much more training to remember who ordered what dish, and learn not to clear some guests dishes until all are finished eating. Access to the restaurant is dangerous with uneven bricks, roots and plants as obstacles.

4  Thank miner53
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We had a delicious meal! I had the duck. My boyfriend had the lamb shank. Both of our appetizers (scallops w/risotto and the prawns) were fantastic as well. There were a couple of missteps but none were related to the food. First, the restaurant was cold (temperature, not atmosphere). I know that they are only open for dinner during the off-season but you need to turn the heat up so that the dinning room is comfortable when you open for business. The uncomfortably cool temperature made it a little less of a relaxing and enjoyable experience. I had to keep my wrap on. The other issue is that the staff, while absolutely friendly, professional and accommodating, they need a bit more training. They are not quite as polished as what one would expect in a restaurant which represents itself very high end. I specifically asked our waiter to please hold our food order because we wanted to sit, relax and enjoy a cocktail at our table BEFORE starting with our food. We weren't even 1/2 finished with our cocktails when our appetizers were delivered to our table. They took them back to the kitchen but the same plate of food was brought out a 2nd time after we finished our drinks. The deserts were good as well (roasted banana bread pudding and the pear tart). Overall, it was still a good experience. We would recommend it and we would return.

1  Thank EnchantedNewMexico
Reviewed 25 February 2014

On our visit to Santa Fe, my husband, two adult sons and a guest ate lunch at Ristra which is an old house situated near the Railyard Park, We were seated by the host at a table in a passageway between the front entry bar and the main dining areas which are in a couple of separate rooms, with people walking past our table all the time, which was unsettling.

The waiter arrived to take drink orders. He asked to see the ID's of the sons, aged 26 and 28, which they duly presented with no problem. He then proceeded to give a lecture, by way of explanation, on how risky it is for a server to provide alcohol to minors and that a friend of his had been arrested for doing so at another place in town and that Santa Fe was a town of drunks and addicts where people were attempting to obtain alcohol and drugs fraudulently all the time. Way too much information and made us feel like potential criminals.
However, when asked what sort of beers they offered other than the usual, he said he did not know as he was new to the job and would ask the host at the front. He returned to say that the host did not know and the bartender was not on duty that day.So we ordered a couple of standard beers.

We ordered for our meal the braised lamb sandwich. The description on the menu was lamb on a ciabatta roll or hamburder bun with arugula, swiss cheese, harissa, mayo, mint cucumber salad and french fries. When the food was eventually delivered, many of the items were missing including the cheese and the cucumber. Instead the ciabatta roll contained a few pieces of wilted soggy lettuce and mayo and harissa which made the bread soggy and virtually no lamb to be seen. There was a large portion of french fries which clearly had come from a frozen store bag. The hamburger ordered by one was satisfactory but nothing special that one could not get anywhere..

We tried to get the attention of the waiter but he was just too busy. When he eventually walked past our table and asked the perfunctory question if everything was alright, we pointed out the deficiencies. He said he would tell the kitchen. When he returned he claimed they had been having terrible problems; the owner had recently died and their chef had left in anger to open his own restaurant on the plaza. The host never appeared other than to seat a few people.
He dropped off the check without offering dessert or coffee which we wanted.
By that time, we gave up, paid the bill and left. For a very mediocre meal of this sort, the bill was very high.
I dont understand how this place remains open. I guess its the unsuspecting tourist trade.

4  Thank Margie C
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I went here for Christmas dinner with my family. Beautiful food and drinks, pretty good service considering how busy it was. Quite pricey, but it was Christmas so that's understandable.

4  Thank Nick-AUS-91