“Good food, but crazy owner threw me out”

Chow's Contemporary Chinese
Ranked #311 of 571 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Good food, but crazy owner threw me out”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

All I wanted was a dish without onions. The first one that was delivered to my table was loaded with onions. The waiter apologized.
The next dish that came out was not the pepper chicken I ordered, but some variation of orange chicken. Tasted pretty good though, until I bit into another onion.
The waiter scooped up my plate and I went to the cash register willing to pay for half the meal, which as $14. The waiter lamented he would have to pay for the meal if I didn't pay. I apologized to him, and asked to speak to the manager or owner.
He summoned a woman who was confrontational immediately. I actually thought it was humorous. She suggested I confused onions with water chestnuts. (Are you giggling, too?)
When I told her I would pay for half the meal, she hollered at me to get out of her restaurant.
I asked the waiter to change a $10 bill so I could give him a tip and apologized for creating a stir. This woman still was shouting at me to get out.
I obliged. Next time I will go to Yummy, down the street. You should, too.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank RabbiDrud

Santa Fe
“Darn good Chinese Food in Santa Fe”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Chow's is a darn good Chinese restaurant in Santa Fe. Four of us went for dinner and we each picked an entree. You can't go wrong with the Dragon Sesame - sweet sesame glaze with your choice of chicken, beef, shrimp or tofu - always a winner. Next we had the duck special, and I have to say it was overdone - a bit dry. Walnut shrimp was very good with an unusual cream sauce and roasted walnuts. Last entree was a ginger chicken special - a bit heavy-handed on the ginger, but pretty good. They offered Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay by the glass (nice) and an assortment of exotic beers. Chows always has good service, and this might be Santa Fe's best Chinese restaurant.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Lauriegirl
Sedona, Arizona
“Quality chinese takeout”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent flavors and spiciness at reasonable prices...just avoid typical Chinese-bland offerings and you won't be disappointed

Santa Fe, New Mexico, Usa
“High quality authentic Chinese”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Chow's is the tastiest Chinese restaurant in Santa Fe. Never been disappointed in a meal here. A little pricier than others but well worth it for the quality of the meal.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Natsmavenus
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Not the quality we used to expect from Chow's. Tough and overdone duck. None of several dishes any better than so-so. No chance we'll return anytime soon.

3 Thank HMac_2013