“"Somewhat over rated"”

The Compound Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Compound Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 576 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: Southwestern, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Historic District
Cross street: Paseo de Peralta
Description: Mark Kiffin, celebrated chef, owner, and author of the Compound Restaurant, has won the James Beard Foundation award as one of America's Best Chefs. The Compound is Santa Fe's premier restaurant with Chef Kiffin's acclaimed seasonal Contemporary American cuisine derived from Santa Fe's rich heritage of regional and Mediterranean influences. The New York Times, Gourmet magazine, The Wall Street Journal and Wine Spectator have all selected the Compound as Santa Fe's favorite. Equally impressive is the attentive, highly knowledgeable and friendly staff. Chef Kiffin's menus focus on the exclusive changes in seasons such as hearty braised dishes in the fall and winter using apples, pears and cider from local harvests, osso bucco and porcini risotto while in spring and summer feature fresh local vegetables and naturally raised organic lamb and delectable strawberries.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have eaten at this restaurant several times because of its location and proximity to all of the art galleries. There isn't a lot of options along Canyon road during the day. I think the food is good, but it isn't the most amazing place I have ever eaten. I think the Compound gets a lot of great reviews for lack of competition. The service was good but I found the staff to be a bit pretentious - and for what reason? After all, I am the guest and paying customer.

We had the burger and wedge salad. The burger was very good but the salad was extremely over rated with its tough, chewy ham and soggy lettuce. Change up your menu, it's been way too long to keep serving the same old thing.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is a beautiful restaurant. Located on the amazing Canyon Road amidst a hundred Art Galleries, you will find a long sloping driveway that takes you down to the entrance of The Compound.
The decor is typical Santa Fe with white plaster walls, curved doorways and rounded corners, but it has been decorated in a cozy and warm way. Very welcoming.
Wine list is quite good but they were out of the French Sancerre that we ordered. The suggestion was a California Sauvignon Blanc (Blanchet) at $60.00 and this was an excellent wine.
Both of us chose fish dishes. My salmon was excellent, came with well prepared vegetables. Very good! My friends Halibut came far too underdone. There is a trend today to serve fish somewhat less cooked, but this was almost raw. The server quickly took both of our meals away and re cooked the Halibut but some of it was just not well cooked. A bit disappointing, but overall this was a good meal in a lovely restaurant

1  Thank George B
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We had an enjoyable dinner but there were some issues that shouldn't happen at such a high-priced restaurant. I ordered the Angus beef steak medium, but it was less cooked than medium. Also, it didn't have much flavor. I had a better steak for $16 at a highly-recommended steak house in California. My wife's salmon seemed to be not completely fresh, when I tasted it. My wife, however, was OK with it. At the end of the meal, my wine-glass had a few sips of wine left, but a waiter whisked it away when my head was turned. Since I had already drunk enough, I didn't ask for a substitute drink. The service was generally good, but there were times when it took a while to catch the waiter's attention. In summary, I don't think the high prices are justified.

3  Thank travelogue6
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Always outstanding service plus nice martini along with excellent food for birthday lunch, on the patio.

4  Thank sassy B
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Food is my passion. This meal was outstanding from beginning to end. Chef Mark Kiffin really out did himself. Truly, I do not often give food reviews or praise. I can always find something. We started with the special of freshly flown in morel mushrooms in a perfectly executed wine sauce. Followed by a spiced crab cake. The feature was wild mushroom and grilled polenta, topped with shaved Parmesan, arugula, and poached lobster. Our waiters, Allejandro and Reggie were incredibly attentive. I will relive that meal in my mind for years to come.

2  Thank DallasDallasGirl