“Nice visit”
Review of ten thousand waves

ten thousand waves
Ranked #1 of 42 Spas & Wellness in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ten Thousand Waves is inspired by the great Japanese mountain hot spring resorts. Ten minutes from downtown Santa Fe, but only minutes from the National Forest, there is nothing quite like this on the North American continent. Among piñons and junipers are beautiful outdoor hot tubs and spa suites, world-class bodywork & skin care, and the amazing izanami restaurant. For a lucky few, it is the closest lodging to the Santa Fe Ski area.
Montreal, Canada
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Nice visit”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Despite a mediocre experience here 6 years ago, I returned to the spa. I am so glad I did. This time around, the experience was better than expected. It was even better valued with a communal women only pool available. The Yuzu and Hinoki products still smell so good. I return home once again with a jar of Yuzu salts--and it is even cheaper than 6 years ago.

One issue: I tried calling to make an appointment in the morning. This was a last minute decision (I was achy from long distance driving so thought my travels would be much more enjoyable with a spa experience). As I am from out of country, I do not have a working cell phone. I was on hold for about 1/2 hour with no answer. I gave up. Instead, I took a chance and drove all the way out to the spa to see if they could fit me in.

Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“In the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, there is a spa. . .”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Vacations are for relaxing and enjoy life's many pleasures. Visits to Santa Fe evoke that relaxation because of our laid-back attitude and love of nature. That being said, do not leave Santa Fe without an visit to Ten Thousand Waves. This rustically beautiful Japanese style spa will transport you to another world. At 8,000 feet, tucked in to large Lodge Pole pines, this resort will wrapped you in comfort. Private hot tubs and cool plunge pools, couples and single massages, contemplative areas to meditate. After the spa, head to their peaceful restaurant to take in contemporary Japanese fare and fabulous sake. Well worth the 20 minute drive from the Plaza.
Be sure to book in advance. They resort fills up fast.

Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“So Crowded, Naked People, Not Happy with Massage”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was really excited after hearing about Ten Thousand Waves and ended up being so disappointed. The place was packed. No room in the hot tubs, couldn't get a locker in the locker room, dirty towels and robes everywhere, etc. I'm sorry but it's odd to me to have random naked men and women together in a hot tub. There were naked women everywhere and it wasn't appealing to me to sit in a sweaty sauna with naked women who decided not to sit on a towel.

I was also disappointed in the massage. Although the massage room was tucked away in the woods, My massage therapist talked the ENTIRE time. I had to ask her to turn on the music and she still kept talking. I paid $109 for my massage and the massage itself was not good. My mom was in a separate room and said the exact same thing about her massage, so it wasn't just my therapist. She had a room above the hot tubs and could hear the people's conversations in the tub the entire time.

Granted I was there on a holiday weekend, but between it being incredibly crowded, not being relaxing, and my less than decent massage, I would not return to Ten Thousand Waves and would spend my money elsewhere.

3 Thank theblondegirl
Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Serene Spa, outdoor experience”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

After many recommendations, we booked a private bath and head/neck massages at Ten Thousand Waves during a long wknd visit to Santa Fe. The grounds were gorgeous and authentic representation of Japanese baths. The massage was soothing and relaxing -- we booked too late for a longer massage but was psyched they could fit us in. We opted for the private bath after friends told us the communal baths were mostly nude. We spent about $100 each for a half day of peaceful relaxation and a unique experience. The scenic drive from Santa Fe only took about 10 minutes.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“If nakedness distracts you, try the private hot tubs”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Had heard about this spot for years and finally had the chance to visit this Japanese style spa in the mountains above Santa Fe. Very clean and serene place to soak your bones. Lovely sounds of birdsong and wind in the trees and gorgeous blue skies above. Communal bathing is the best value but I guess I might be a tad prudish since we were the only ones in bathing suits! Next time we plan to add a massage to our afternoon here.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Heather W

Been to ten thousand waves? Share your experiences!