“Quirky but a must do”

Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
“Quirky but a must do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I grew up in Albuquerque, NM but never have been in the five & dime (old Woolworths) on The Plaza in Santa Fe. If your looking for quirky gifts from The Land of Enchantment this is your place, BUT!!!!! If you can handle heat you must get the Frito Pie ($5) in the small cafeteria in the back of the store. Apparently is a Diner, Drive Ins & Dives location. She cuts the top of the Frito bag open, pours the chili on top of the chips, then some cheese, onions and jalapeños are by the soda machine if your want (I recommend the onions). Then head out to The Plaza and find a bench to people watch.
So simple and so satisfying. So great.
***A must do but the chili is spicy if your a light weight ;)

Visited April 2014
2 Thank HotPocket505

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great store - good quick food for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Loved the bargains in the general merchandise! Only $5.00 t-shirts, and lots of inventory for souvenirs from New Mexico. Quick place for water and drinks - easy simple food, good if you brought a lot of kids.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Helen W
Falls Church, Virginia
“Try the Frito Pie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Right on the plaza, a $4.95 Frito Pie is a gift. As junk food goes, it's delicious. You'll eat at a counter facing a wall or a couple of tables and chairs leftover from the 50s.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank EmmythePetSitter
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“The only ORIGINAL Frito Pie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

A must short snack stop for a taste of what the Frito pie should be.
The five and dime is filled with any souvenir item you could hope for. If you walk to the back left of the store, you find the dear lady who has been creating these Frito pies for at least 30 yrs.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank MaryLou K
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Sunday visit...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I came in to get out of the very cold weather on a Sunday a little after noon. I had 45 minutes to wait, I had thought the down town library was open by noon on a Sunday but it opened at 1 PM. I am not in love with their frito pies since I tend not to eat beef and they are a little on the greasy side. I have had them though, twice over the years of living in SF. I do wish they would make one with veg. red chili, plain pinto beans, lettuce,onions, jalapeno and fritos. That I would buy. I bought a corn dog I think it was a chicken corn dog It was hot and flavorful and cooked right. the restaurant staff are nice overall.The cashiers are helpful I was directed to the toilet paper. I was out and by being able to buy just one roll it there it saved me a second stop at a chain store later in the day so i appreciated that. Also the restaurant dosen't serve hot tea just coffee,but I had a foil wrapped tea bag in my purse and they have a hot water tap. I went to give the cashier 65 cents to pay for the cup and he wouldn't take it even though I thought he should.
He was being nice and since I was freezing I appreciated the tea and the meal even more.

• Visited November 2013