“Where do I begin!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Oklahoma
“Where do I begin!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

The place is filthy and the wait staff is less than friendly. The sushi was tasteless and I was even concerned I might get food poisoning. I wiped up some water I had spilled on my table and my once white napkin had been turned black by the filth on the table's edge!

Visited December 2011
2 Thank native_irish

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Every time I go there, it reminds me how horrible it is. Gets worse every time.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

It is unfortunate that Osaka has good hours and has adequate food, because it encourages people to reward them by patronizing their establishment for appallingly bad service and management practices and outrageous prices. Their newest bonus is charging a mandatory 18% gratuity on take out orders. I am all about generous tipping when it is warranted, and always tip my wait person and my sushi chef separately, but charging 18% for scooping overpriced seaweed salad into a styrofoam to go box is unbelievable. The most recent trip cost almost $70 for 3 orders of seaweed salad, plain fried rice, and a spicy tuna roll, and 4 pieces of nigiri.

The sushi chef is indifferent to his customers, the wait staff on the sushi side is rude, watches the bar TV while working, is terribly inefficient and when they get your order wrong, they blame you (the customer) for it and make you pay for what you didn't order, and for average sushi their prices are way too high. There is so much crap on the back counter behind the sushi bar I am surprised the health department allows them to serve raw fish.

On the teppanyaki side, the wait staff is little better. If you order sushi and teppanyaki good luck getting your food at the same time, and they swindle you on the bill. The waitress not only told our table (as she was handing us plates of sushi) about her time doing community service scrubbing toilets in a rehab center and how disgusting it was (she was eavesdropping on our conversation about speeding tickets and decided that was a great piece of her personal story to share with us), but she stole $40 from the cash that we paid the bill with (she took the billfold, went to the register, and came back to tell us that we were short, even though 2 members of our party counted the money 3 times).

My advise is to avoid Osaka like the Plague and patronize the many other excellent sushi restaurants in town.

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank NMSkiVet
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“rip off and enormous sticker shock!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

So our family was visiting Santa Fe and decided to eat dinner at Osaka off of Cerrillos Rd. We sat at the tappan grill and ordered 4 sushi rolls @ 7.95 each. Because we were on somewhat of a budget and we had small kids (aged 7, 9 and 11) we decided to split a kids meal between our 2 girls and let our 11 yr old have a kids meal by himself. My husband and I split a shrimp/chicken tappan dinner because we also had sushi. The waitress assumed (without asking) that we were ordering a Split Plate special @ $7.95 from the menu rather than "splitting a dinner plate" and tried to charge us an additional $7.95 on top of the $23.95 dinner plate. We had to explain ourselves twice because we felt she was trying to rip us off. Then she asked us if we wanted fried rice or steamed rice for our three dinner plates. We chose fried rice. Then she asked us if we wanted soup OR a salad, saying that we had only 1 choice. Usually it's both @ a japanese tappan. We also ordered 3 tap bud light beers between the two of us. No dessert and our meal was finished. Our bill arrived at to our shock it was $129.53!!!!!!!! We were told fried rice is extra, no drinks with the kids meals, bud light tap beer was $4.95 EACH and I asked how much was bottled beer ($4.50). Also they charged us automatic 18% tip because there was five people at the table not mattering if they were small kids. I informed them of my shock and dissatisfaction and the "manager" said she could do nothing about it because prices were set by the owner. I told her I would never return again and she replied, "yeah, sorry. I can't do anything about that!" So DO NOT waste your money and time on a unkempt, dirty restaurant. You'll have better satisfaction from Burger King. I can only assume a disgruntled customer left 3 bullet holes in their glass windows for a reason.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank bx512
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“make your menu more appealing...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

we been to a lot of teppanki Japanese restaurant,,,,maybe this will be more appealing to your customer if you serve less the meat, you serve instead of 2 make it a piece of meat....but instead of choosing between a salad or soup give them both.....less meat and a scoop of green tea or orange ice cream....this is how it normally serve in other cities we had been.....for the same price you were charging ....I based this to San Diego and Palm Spring high end Japanese restaurant.....and the chef actually were not expecting a tip even with their showmanship ...

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gemily516
Omaha, Nebraska
“Food was undercooked and Overpriced flavorless dribble!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

We eat Hibachi all the time but this was by far our worst experience we have ever had. We were on vacation and this was the worst resturaunt we had been to.The facility is dirty and the food was undercooked, they did not make enough fried rice for all of us that were at the table and the rice and veggetables were not fully cooked and flavorless. Our cook was not socialable and rushed through cooking the food then left, he almost forgot our vegetables in was in such a hurry. We took our niece for her first time eating Hibachi and it was such a disappointment. Our waitress was ok but there was another waitress for the table near us and she ignored them and leaned against the bar texting. For what we paid we did not get the great food/show like we usually do. We will never go to this place ever again. We all left hungry since the food was no good and flavorless.

• Visited July 2011