“Tasty, great service, good location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Osaka Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Dana Point, California
“Tasty, great service, good location.”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I am back from a retreat to Santa Fe. This is one of the restaurants that I ate at with my friend who recommended it. If I had read the Trip Advisor Reviews, I wouldn't have gone, but...I'm glad I went! Our waiter was friendly, attentive, and on the ball. I loved the brown rice tuna rolls that I ordered and liked their miso soup so much, I ordered a second bowl. I will remember this place when I am back in Santa Fe.

• Visited October 2012

MD
“Expensive choice”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We celebrated my hubby's birthday once there, everybody didn't fill up.

Visited January 2011
3 Thank cutegirls
Oklahoma
“Where do I begin!!!”
Reviewed 21 December 2011

The place is filthy and the wait staff is less than friendly. The sushi was tasteless and I was even concerned I might get food poisoning. I wiped up some water I had spilled on my table and my once white napkin had been turned black by the filth on the table's edge!

Visited December 2011
2 Thank native_irish
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Every time I go there, it reminds me how horrible it is. Gets worse every time.”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

It is unfortunate that Osaka has good hours and has adequate food, because it encourages people to reward them by patronizing their establishment for appallingly bad service and management practices and outrageous prices. Their newest bonus is charging a mandatory 18% gratuity on take out orders. I am all about generous tipping when it is warranted, and always tip my wait person and my sushi chef separately, but charging 18% for scooping overpriced seaweed salad into a styrofoam to go box is unbelievable. The most recent trip cost almost $70 for 3 orders of seaweed salad, plain fried rice, and a spicy tuna roll, and 4 pieces of nigiri.

The sushi chef is indifferent to his customers, the wait staff on the sushi side is rude, watches the bar TV while working, is terribly inefficient and when they get your order wrong, they blame you (the customer) for it and make you pay for what you didn't order, and for average sushi their prices are way too high. There is so much crap on the back counter behind the sushi bar I am surprised the health department allows them to serve raw fish.

On the teppanyaki side, the wait staff is little better. If you order sushi and teppanyaki good luck getting your food at the same time, and they swindle you on the bill. The waitress not only told our table (as she was handing us plates of sushi) about her time doing community service scrubbing toilets in a rehab center and how disgusting it was (she was eavesdropping on our conversation about speeding tickets and decided that was a great piece of her personal story to share with us), but she stole $40 from the cash that we paid the bill with (she took the billfold, went to the register, and came back to tell us that we were short, even though 2 members of our party counted the money 3 times).

My advise is to avoid Osaka like the Plague and patronize the many other excellent sushi restaurants in town.

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank NMSkiVet
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“rip off and enormous sticker shock!!!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

So our family was visiting Santa Fe and decided to eat dinner at Osaka off of Cerrillos Rd. We sat at the tappan grill and ordered 4 sushi rolls @ 7.95 each. Because we were on somewhat of a budget and we had small kids (aged 7, 9 and 11) we decided to split a kids meal between our 2 girls and let our 11 yr old have a kids meal by himself. My husband and I split a shrimp/chicken tappan dinner because we also had sushi. The waitress assumed (without asking) that we were ordering a Split Plate special @ $7.95 from the menu rather than "splitting a dinner plate" and tried to charge us an additional $7.95 on top of the $23.95 dinner plate. We had to explain ourselves twice because we felt she was trying to rip us off. Then she asked us if we wanted fried rice or steamed rice for our three dinner plates. We chose fried rice. Then she asked us if we wanted soup OR a salad, saying that we had only 1 choice. Usually it's both @ a japanese tappan. We also ordered 3 tap bud light beers between the two of us. No dessert and our meal was finished. Our bill arrived at to our shock it was $129.53!!!!!!!! We were told fried rice is extra, no drinks with the kids meals, bud light tap beer was $4.95 EACH and I asked how much was bottled beer ($4.50). Also they charged us automatic 18% tip because there was five people at the table not mattering if they were small kids. I informed them of my shock and dissatisfaction and the "manager" said she could do nothing about it because prices were set by the owner. I told her I would never return again and she replied, "yeah, sorry. I can't do anything about that!" So DO NOT waste your money and time on a unkempt, dirty restaurant. You'll have better satisfaction from Burger King. I can only assume a disgruntled customer left 3 bullet holes in their glass windows for a reason.

• Visited August 2011