“Bataan Emphasis”

Ranked #84 of 288 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 9 August 2017

This is a very good military museum. I wish I had more time to see the film. I especially enjoyed the Rough Riders and the Bataan March explanations and artifacts.

The museum begins with information about New Mexico soldiers in the Civil War and ends with current soldiers. There is a memorial room, the film and lots of artifacts. Plan time to read, there are lots of interesting stories.

The museum is free. If I lived close, I'd probably try to cover parts of the museum in several different visits because there are so many interesting things to read and view.

The only reason I rated this very good instead of excellent is because some of the material was hard to read because of the quality or because it is placed too low to the floor requiring a visitor to squat down to read. I'm assuming a lot people are not going to want to do that. Otherwise it is an excellent museum.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"photos"
"visitors"

Reviewed 12 May 2017

My wife and I visited Santa Fe last week and thoroughly enjoyed "The City Different" as their saying goes.

While driving around by the state capitol one day I spotted the Bataan Memorial in from of the Bataan Memorial Building. We stopped and I got out and took a few photos. I was always interested in WW2 when I was growing up and the Bataan Memorial is a fitting reminder of the horrors of war and is dedicated to those who served and were part of the fighting on Bataan.

May their sacrifices always be remembered.

Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

We spent spent about an hour here and thought it was very worthwhile. We are interested in all things related to W W 2 and also have a connection to the Philippines so the artifacts relevant to the Bataan death march were of interest. The volunteer in charge was wonderful...A great docent

Reviewed 20 August 2016

Every American, and even foreign travelers should know this History. Lessons can still be learned, and those that do not know history are bound to repeat it. I have read a lot about the Bataan Death March, but I had never heard about how the NM National Guard was sent to the Philippines and basically abandoned. Moving stories here that must never be forgotten !

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 July 2016

Any veteran of the armed services should visit this museum. It is one of the great military museums. Small but of the absolute highest quality. The museum began as a tribute to the Veterans of the infamous Bataan Death March. This tribute remains and has grown into a world class display that chronicles the struggle and desperate years of the experiences of the 200th and 515th Coast Artillery regiments. You can follow the story of the 1800 brave New Mexico Soldiers through their odyssey from New Mexico, Fort Bliss, Bataan, Japan and finally of the 900 soldiers who survived confinement and returned home.